[MyAppleMenu] Dec 2, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 2 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Tim Cook Visits Georgetown, DC, Store As Apple Issues Push Notification In World AIDS Day Promo ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/02/apple-red-amount/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted a couple of photos of a visit yesterday to the Apple Store in Georgetown, Washington DC, to help promote World AIDS Day. He was accompanied by (RED) CEO Deborah Dugan.

*** The Fucking Mac Calendar 1 Is Now Off Fucking Center Too! ***
<http://gizmodo.com/what-the-fuck-the-fucking-mac-calendar-1-is-now-off-fu-1665384497>
Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo

> See what I mean? Can you see IT? The 1 is off center. Instead of being optically centered, it's geometrically centered. So it just looks wrong.

*** Conquer Your To-Do List With Your Phone ***
<https://hbr.org/2014/12/conquer-your-to-do-list-with-your-phone>
Alexandra Samuel, Harvard Business Review

> Embrace the power of your phone to keep you from forgetting the little stuff, and you’ll enable your to-do list as the place to keep track of the big stuff. Once you stop relying on it as the one-stop place to find everything you ever need to remember, looking at it every day will become much less daunting. That means your to-do list can finally do what it’s meant to do: keep you focused on the work that matters most.

*** Pioneer AppRadio 4 With Apple CarPlay Review ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/01/pioneer-appradio-4-with-apple-carplay-review/>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

> The AppRadio 4 scratches a specific itch: the itch for CarPlay, right now, with the car you already have. It’s capacitive touchscreen means that it detects input effectively and reliably, and the Bluetooth audio streaming offers up a lot of benefit even if you’re uninterested in the rest of the software features, plus the hardware operates as a very capable head unit upgrade regardless of what else you’re doing with it.

*** Apple Closes iOS 8.1 Signing Window, Eliminating Chance To Downgrade ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/01/ios-8-1-signing-window-closed/>
Joe Rossignol, 9 To 5 Mac

> iOS 8.1.1, seeded as an over-the-air update a few weeks ago, is now the earliest software version that devices can be restored to.

*** Electronic Arts Launches PopCap's Peggle Blast On The App Store Worldwide ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/12/electronic-arts-launches-popcaps-peggle-blast-on-the-app-store-worldwide>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Mail To Self Is An iOS 8 Extension For Quickly And Easily Emailing Notes To Self ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/12/mail-to-self-is-an-ios-8-extension-for-quickly-and-easily-emailing-notes-to-self>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Mail to Self is an app that provides an iOS 8 share extension for emailing links to the user's specified email address.

*** Dropbox Updates To Let You Rename, Move Files And Folders ***
<http://www.imore.com/dropbox-updates-let-you-rename-and-move-files-and-folders>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Dropbox has received an update today to version 3.6, which gives iOS users more control over their files and folders. Both individual files and entire folders can be renamed and moved.

*** Dropshare For iOS Uploads Images To Amazon S3 And Rackspace Cloud Files ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/dropshare-for-ios-uploads-images-to-amazon-s3-and-rackspace-cloud-files/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Dropshare, developed by Timo Josten, brings integration with the iOS Photos app and any other image file through a share extension that can upload directly to Amazon S3, SCP over SSH, and Cloud Files, solving a major issue in my iPad workflow for screenshot generation and uploads.

*** ‘Information Doesn’t Want To Be Free’ By Cory Doctorow ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/02/book-review-information-doesn-want-free-laws-for-internet-age-cory-doctorow/ULbyUMQCjiK3Xp0SwFuRZO/story.html>
James Sullivan, The Boston Globe

> In “Information Doesn’t Want to Be Free,” the science-fiction author and Internet advocate lays out a convincing case on behalf of the net benefits of a free and open digital culture.

*** Why Our Memory Fails Us ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/02/opinion/why-our-memory-fails-us.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons, New York Times

> When we recall our own memories, we are not extracting a perfect record of our experiences and playing it back verbatim. Most people believe that memory works this way, but it doesn’t. Instead, we are effectively whispering a message from our past to our present, reconstructing it on the fly each time.

*** How Restaurants Cut Corners: Embalmed Shrimp And Headless Beer ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/01/how-restaurants-cut-corners>
Olga Oksman, The Guardian