[MyAppleMenu] Dec 1, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 1 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Feds Want Apple’s Help To Defeat Encrypted Phones, New Legal Case Shows ***
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/feds-want-apples-help-to-defeat-encrypted-phones-new-legal-case-shows/>
Cyrus Farivar, Ars Technica

> Newly discovered court documents from two federal criminal cases in New York and California that remain otherwise sealed suggest that the Department of Justice (DOJ) is pursuing an unusual legal strategy to compel cellphone makers to assist investigations.
> In both cases, the seized phones—one of which is an iPhone 5S—are encrypted and cannot be cracked by federal authorities. Prosecutors have now invoked the All Writs Act, an 18th-century federal law that simply allows courts to issue a writ, or order, which compels a person or company to do something.

All the more important that Apple -- or any company for that matter - uses an encryption method that even Apple itself cannot decrypt.

*** BBEdit 11 Review: More Productive For Coders And Writers Alike ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2852981/bbedit-11-review-the-veteran-text-editor.html#tk.rss_all>
Tom Negrino, Macworld

> As with its previous versions, BBEdit 11 doesn’t try to impress you with huge, flashy change-for-the-sake-of-change features. Instead, it quietly gets better, respects the investment its users have made in learning it, and is still your best choice in a full-featured text editor.

Do check out BBEdit if you doing any sort of writing -- no matter the language -- on your Mac.

*** Star Witness In Apple Lawsuit Is Steve Jobs ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/01/technology/star-witness-in-apple-suit-is-steve-jobs.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> Three years after his death, Steve Jobs is very much a presence in courtrooms across the country.
> And that’s not necessarily good news for Apple.

*** Metapho’s iOS 8 Extension Lets You Quickly Share Photos Without Metadata ***
<http://www.macstories.net/ios/metaphos-ios-8-extension-lets-you-quickly-share-photos-without-metadata/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Any time you're viewing a photo you want to share without associated metadata, bring up the system share sheet and tap the Metapho action extension. Metapho will scan the image for metadata and offer you to share it without metadata; tap the share icon in the extension, and Metapho will pass a version of the image without metadata to any other iOS extension and without creating a duplicate in your library.

*** Apple Lights Up Sydney With Red Logo, World To Follow Suit ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/11/30/apple-aids-red-logo/>
Jenni Ryall, Mashable

> It is the first store in the world to light up in a show of commitment to the (RED) AIDS initiative, that is fighting for an AIDS-free future. Apple will then change the colour of its logo across key stores in Japan, Hong Kong, China, Europe and the United States, as the various timezones tick into Monday.

*** Tip Of The Day: Siri Offers Guide For What To Ask ***
<http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5/tip-day-siri-offers-guide-what-ask>
Jim Karpen, IPhone Life Magazine

> To bring up Siri's guide to using Siri, simply say, "What can I ask?" Siri will then return an outline of things you can request or ask in 24 categories.

*** ‘See You In Paradise’ By J. Robert Lennon ***
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/01/book-review-see-you-paradise-robert-lennon/X5DtNgDpGwE92MpEsG80JL/story.html>
Clea Simon, Boston Globe

> Life is weird. If J. Robert Lennon has one point to make in this fresh and funny collection of 14 short stories, it is this: People are strange and unpredictable, and no matter what the universe throws at them — and in his stories, there are a considerable number of curveballs — nothing comes close to the oddities we ourselves conjure up.

*** The Disgrace Of Our Criminal Justice ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/dec/04/disgrace-our-criminal-justice/?src=longreads>
David Cole, The New York Review Of Books