[MyAppleMenu] Aug 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 25 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Periscope Pro Review: Keep An Eye On Your Domicile With This Mac Surveillance App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2464264/periscope-pro-review-keep-an-eye-on-your-domicile-with-this-mac-surveillance-app.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

*** Flash Professional CC 2014 Review: Minor Tweaks A Boon To Developers ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2489083/flash-professional-cc-2014-review-minor-are-a-boon-to-developers.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Michael Baumgardt, Macworld

> With Flash Professional CC 2014 Adobe is slowly pushing Flash as a universal vector animation tool for Web designers. No longer limited to Shockwave Flash (swf), Flash can export to other formats such as WebGL, SVG, and HTML5. This is great for long-time Flash developers who need this flexibility, but Flash Professional CC 2014 also includes new features that allow designers to enhance their creative potential.

*** Skipping The US Customs And Border Protection Queues? There’s Now An App For That … ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/25/skipping-the-us-customs-and-border-protection-queues-theres-now-an-app-for-that/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> U.S. Customs and Border Protection is trialling an iPhone app that allows travellers returning to the United States to bypass the normal immigration queues by entering their details into the app and getting a QR code containing their electronic approval.

*** The 10 Apps Every College Student Needs To Have ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2598050/the-10-apps-every-college-student-needs-to-have.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Jsmine France, TechHive

*** A Month With The iPhone 5S: Impressions From An Android User ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/8414/a-month-with-the-iphone-5s>
Joshua Ho, AnandTech

> While the hardware quality is a cut above, it’s more than just a matter of pure hardware. It’s clear to me that the user experience wouldn’t be nearly as good without Apple’s strong control over software.
> While I felt a bit constrained by the limits in the operating system, the integration and overall quality of the experience outweighed these disadvantages.

*** Star Walk 2 Mostly Improves On The Original ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/24/star-walk-2-mostly-improves-on-the-original/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> This new version has a re-designed interface with the look and feel of each element beautifully crafted and drawing you into the inner workings of the app.

*** Review: Apple's Mid-2014 13-Inch MacBook Pro With Retina Display ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/24/review-apples-mid-2014-13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

> While it's not a particularly exciting update, Apple's mid-2014 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display increases performance and offers more value, making it an enticing offer for those who may have been waiting to take the plunge on a thin-but-powerful high-resolution notebook.

*** Rethinking Eating ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/sunday-review/rethinking-eating.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Kate Murphy, New York Times

> Following Steve Jobs’s credo that “people don’t know what they want until you show it to them,” a handful of high-tech start-ups are out to revolutionize the food system by engineering “meat” and “eggs” from pulverized plant compounds or cultured snippets of animal tissue.

*** Poem Of The Week: A Work Of Fiction By Louise Glück ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/25/poem-of-the-week-a-work-of-fiction-louise-gluck-carol-rumens1>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

*** The Longest Silence: On Writing And Fishing ***
<http://www.themillions.com/2014/08/the-longest-silence-on-writing-and-fishing.html>
Nick Ripatrazone, The Millions

> Fishing is not merely recreation; it is a source of creation. It is an art. I will always be haunted by waters.

*** How The Web Lost Its Way – And Its Founding Principles ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/24/internet-lost-its-way-tim-berners-lee-world-wide-web>
Stuart Jeffries, The Guardian

> When Tim Berners-Lee invented the world wide web 24 years ago he thought he'd created an egalitarian tool that would share information for the greater good. But it hasn't quite worked out like that. What went wrong?

*** Heaven’s Gaits ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/01/heavens-gaits>
Adam Gopnik, New Yorker

> Matthew Algeo’s “Pedestrianism: When Watching People Walk Was America’s Favorite Spectator Sport” (Chicago Review) is one of those books which open up a forgotten world so fully that at first the reader wonders, just a little, if his leg is being pulled. How could there be an account this elaborate—illustrated with sober handbills, blaring headlines, starchy portrait photographs, and racy newspaper cartoons—of an enthusiasm this unknown? But it all happened. For several decades in the later nineteenth century, the favorite spectator sport in America was watching people walk in circles inside big buildings.

*** A Master Of Many Universes ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/books/the-bone-clocks-is-david-mitchells-most-ambitious-novel.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Alexandra Alter, New York Times