[MyAppleMenu] Aug 14, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 14 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** 10 Years Of Podcasting: Code, Comedy, And Patent Lawsuits ***
<http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/08/10-years-of-podcasting-code-comedy-and-patent-lawsuits/>
Cyrus Farivar, Ars Technica

> A decade ago today—August 13, 2004—former MTV VJ Adam Curry spoke these words, recorded in his car in rural Belgium while driving to the Netherlands:
> “Well, good morning everybody, and welcome to the <i>Daily Source Code</i>. Thank you very much for taking the time to download this MP3 file. Some of you may have received it overnight as an enclosure in your aggregator. In that case, thanks for subscribing. So first what I’d like to do is to explain exactly what this is, and what the <i>Daily Source Code</i> is going to be.”

*** Watermarker Review: Easily Protect The Publishing Rights Of Your Photographic Work ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2458625/watermarker-review-easily-protect-the-publishing-rights-of-your-photographic-work.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> The app supports three different types of watermarks: text, an image, and strike-through (a set of diagonal lines that cross the image from opposite corners, thus making it unusable in a production scenario).

*** Finding An App To Manage Passwords ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/technology/personaltech/finding-an-app-to-manage-passwords.html>
J.D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

> Password-manager apps can vary in services, but many include backup options for syncing an encrypted copy of your password file to an online server or directly to a computer; some even let you log into your account from a browser. Some of the more full-featured apps include automatic website logins for stored passwords, complex-password generators and security alerts.

*** Liberation: 10 OS X Steps To Free Mac Disk Space ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/mac-os-x/24251/liberation-10-os-x-steps-free-mac-disk-space>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

> Are you running out of space on your Mac? Are you unable to save files because your computer tells you its disk is full? Clean your drive with these ten simple tips.

*** Pimsleur Course Manager (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461711,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> If you're a busy person looking to learn a new language or brush up on one that you already know, Pimsleur may be one of your best options. Why? Because Pimsleur is, and long has been, known for its audio programs. You can play Pimsleur MP3s while commuting, walking your dog, folding laundry, or doing anything else that leaves you free to listen and speak out loud when prompted.

*** Apple Shareholder Suing Steve Jobs' Estate ***
<http://news.sky.com/story/1318430/apple-shareholder-suing-steve-jobs-estate>
Sky News

> The class action lawsuit claims the Cupertino company misled investors and damaged the value of the company by striking a controversial hiring agreement with other corporations.

*** Apple's Diversity Video Overstates Its Diversity ***
<http://fortune.com/2014/08/14/apples-diversity-video-overstates-its-diversity/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

> I couldn’t help notice that roughly 12% of the faces in the video Apple released Wednesday are black and nearly 45% are women. The company’s actual ranks are considerably less diverse, especially in its tech and leadership positions.

*** Apple’s iPhone Is At The Center Of Another Major Revolution ***
<http://time.com/3108566/apple-iphone-disabilities/>
Victor Luckerson, TIME

> A bevy of apps and services are helping not only those with prosthetic limbs but also those with poor hearing, troubled vision and impaired motor skills.

*** Corel Painter 2015 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14992?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Painter 2015 introduces “physics-inspired” Particle Brushes, which provide a quick way to create unique effects.

*** Privacy Vs. Push Notifications: My Week With The New Foursquare ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2464863/privacy-vs-push-notifications-my-week-with-the-new-foursquare.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Caitlin McGarry, TechHive

> Foursquare could use your check-ins to push you notifications about nearby places, like a cocktail bar on the same street as the restaurant you’re dining at. Or the app could deduce that if you check in to spots all around Williamsburg, you probably live or work there and want to see recommendations in the neighborhood. It doesn’t really need to track you all the time.

*** Apple Starts Using China Telecom’s Data Centers To Store iCloud Data For China Users, Rather Than US Locations ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/14/apple-starts-using-china-telecoms-data-centers-to-store-icloud-data-for-china-users-rather-than-us-locations/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Popular Bird-flying Game Tiny Wings Gets First Content Update In Over 2 Years ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/08/popular-bird-flying-game-tiny-wings-gets-first-content-update-in-over-2-years>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Bans Use Of 2 Chemicals In iPhone Assembly ***
<http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_APPLE_HAZARDOUS_CHEMICALS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-13-20-08-24>
Michael Liedtke, Associated Press

> The decision announced Wednesday comes five months after the activist groups China Labor Watch and Green America launched a petition drive calling on Apple Inc. to abandon the use of benzene and n-hexane in the production of iPhones.

*** WhoDoYou Is A Referral App With A Lot Of Potential ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/13/whodoyou-is-a-referral-app-with-a-lot-of-potential/>
Jessica Buchanan, TUAW

*** Apple Releases Safari 6.1.6 And Safari 7.0.6 With Security Fixes ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/13/apple-releases-safari-6-1-6-and-safari-7-0-6-with-security-fixes/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple today has released new versions of Safari for OS X Lion/Mountain Lion and OS X Mavericks that address security and WebKit issues. The Safari 6.1.6 update for the older versions of OS X and Safari 7.0.6 update for the latest OS X are available in Software Update on the Mac App Store.

*** Lobster’s Cheap. Lobster’s Luxurious. Discuss. ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/lobsters-cheap-lobsters-luxurious-discuss/2014/08/11/ad84da0a-1dc2-11e4-ab7b-696c295ddfd1_story.html>
Bonnie S. Benwick, Washington Post

> Recent news reports have chronicled your rise — or fall? — citing sustainability, affordability and sheer bounty. In Maine alone, marine biologists are happy to report that your numbers have grown “unbelievably” over the past 25 years. Will that diminish your white-tablecloth profile?

*** Death To The Demo Day ***
<https://medium.com/@paul_a_smith/death-to-the-demo-day-4b81932a5c7b>
Paul Smith, Medium

> Is there a better way for startups to engage with investors?

*** Finding Your Comfort Food ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/opinion/mark-bittman-finding-your-comfort-food.html?_r=0>
Mark Bittman, New York Times