[MyAppleMenu] Aug 9, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 9 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Selling An Old iPhone? Here Are Things To Consider ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/upshot/selling-an-old-iphone-here-are-things-to-consider.html?ref=technology>
Damon Darlin, New York Times

*** FunBITS: NPR One Is Public Radio For The Twitter Generation ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14978?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> As someone who rarely has time to listen to podcasts anymore, it’s great to have an endless source of news to listen to for a few minutes at a time.

*** How To Set Up Continuous OS X Mavericks Dictation ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/08/how-to-set-up-continuous-os-x-mavericks-dictation/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** You Mean It’s Not Dead? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/books/review/the-novel-by-michael-schmidt.html?ref=books&_r=0>
John Sutherland, New York Times

> Michael Schmidt’s 1,172 pages encompass similarly big numbers. Seven hundred years of fiction are chronicled, hundreds of novelists looked at, and even more novels summarized. The biggest number of all, which can only be guessed at, wincingly, is how many hours of reading this intrepid book distills between its straining covers.

*** Book Review: 'The Kills' By Richard House ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/book-review-the-kills-by-richard-house-1407536276?mod=rss_opinion_main>
Sam Sacks, Wall Street Journal

> "The Kills" is in part a comprehensive, Tom Wolfe-esque plunge into the underworld of military contracting. It's also a shrewd, globe-trotting thriller in the vein of John le Carré. A macabre horror story appears almost out of nowhere and takes up a quarter of the book, and throughout there are tricky postmodern U-turns that keep the whole production feeling current.

*** Book Review: 'The Big, Bad Book Of Botany' By Michael Largo ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/book-review-the-big-bad-book-of-botany-by-michael-largo-1407531167>
Alexandra Mullen, Wall Street Journal

> When I was a kid, the plant world was a narrow and unlovely terrain enclosing only weeding (yuck) or soppy love poems (double yuck). But if "The Big, Bad Book of Botany" had come my way, I would have giggled and goggled at its showy display of wacky plant lore.

*** Disappearing Burgers: Why So Many Chefs Make It So Hard To Order Their Most Popular Dish ***
<http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/08/limited-time-only-burgers-in-nyc.html>
Alan Sytsma, Grub Street