[MyAppleMenu] Aug 8, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 8 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Black Hat: Google Glass Can Steal Your Passcodes ***
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529896/black-hat-google-glass-can-steal-your-passcodes/>
Tom Simonite, Technology Review

> Software developed by the researchers can automatically recover the passcodes of people recorded on video as they type in their credentials, even when the screen itself is not visible to the camera. The attack works by watching the movement of the fingers to work out what keys they are touching. It also works on footage from camcorders, webcams, and smartphones, but Glass offers perhaps the subtlest way to stage it.

*** Koh Squashes Double-Charging Class Action Against Apple ***
<http://www.therecorder.com/home/id=1202666203000/Koh-Squashes-DoubleCharging-Class-Action-Against-Apple?mcode=1202617072607&curindex=1&slreturn=20140708082741>
Julia Love, The Recorder

> A federal judge refused on Thursday to allow plaintiffs who claim Apple Inc. double-charged them for music, videos and other digital goods to move forward as a class.

*** Indians Flaunt 4-Year-Old IPhones As Apple Builds Appeal: Tech ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-07/indians-flaunt-4-year-old-iphones-as-apple-builds-appeal-tech.html>
Bianca Vázquez Toness, Bloomberg

> Apple Inc., which has struggled in emerging markets because of the price of its new iPhones, has devised a strategy for India that’s starting to pay off: It’s pushing older models that offer cachet at affordable prices.

*** China Refutes Claim Of Government Ban On Apple Purchases ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/08/us-china-apple-idUSKBN0G812G20140808>
Gery Shih and Paul Carsten, Reuters

> The Central Government Procurement Centre, as well as the finance ministry and Apple, said the company never applied to be on the list in the first place.

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: Moving Your iTunes Library, Holiday Specials, And WAV Vs AIFF ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2461573/ask-the-itunes-guy-moving-your-itunes-library-holiday-specials-and-wav-vs-aiff.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> This week, I look at three questions. I explain how to move an iTunes library to an external hard drive, I look at how to tag Christmas specials of TV series, and I discuss the pros and cons of ripping CDs in WAV and AIFF formats.

*** Skype No Longer Supporting Macs Running OS X 10.5.8 Or Earlier ***
<http://www.imore.com/skype-no-longer-supporting-macs-running-os-x-1058-or-earlier?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Andrew Martonik, iMore

*** iTunes 11.3.1 Brings Fixes For Podcast Bugs, Update Now! ***
<http://www.imore.com/itunes-1131-brings-fixes-podcast-bugs-update-now-available?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Chris Parsons, iMore

*** Eve Wasn't Invited: Integrating Women Into The Apple Community ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2462361/eve-wasnt-invited-integrating-women-into-the-apple-community.html>
Biranna Wu, Macworld

> Women buy Apple products. We develop on Apple hardware. But we’re still not yet well-represented in Apple’s developer community.

*** NFL Now App Launches On iPhone & iPad, Coming Soon To Apple TV With Personalized Video Stream & More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/07/nfl-now-app-launches-on-apple-tv-iphone-ipad-with-personalized-video-stream-more/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** QuickTime In OS X Yosemite Reveals That Apple Cares About Status Bars ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/08/quicktime-in-os-x-yosemite-reveals-that-apple-cares-about-status-bars>
Daniel Celeste, AppAdvice

*** From A Maker Of Siri, A Text Messaging App And Personal Assistant In One ***
<http://www.fastcodesign.com/3028786/from-a-maker-of-siri-a-text-messaging-app-and-personal-assistant-in-one>
Mark Wilson, Co.Design

*** Has The ‘Libertarian Moment’ Finally Arrived? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/magazine/has-the-libertarian-moment-finally-arrived.html?_r=0>
Robert Draper, New York Times