[MyAppleMenu] Apr 15, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Apr 15 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Scribe Review: Cut And Paste Between Your Mac And iOS Device ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2095820/scribe-review-cut-and-paste-between-your-mac-and-ios-device.html#tk.rss_all>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> All I have to do is press Command-Shift-X while Scribe is running on my Mac, and the selected snippet gets transferred over to the Scribe app on my iOS device. (Scribe works only in one direction, from your Mac to your iOS device.)

*** Office 365 Personal Subscription Plan Launched, Includes iPad Editing ***
<http://www.imore.com/office-365-personal-subscription-plan-launched-includes-ipad-editing>
Rich Edmonds, iMore

*** Fine Tune Mavericks' iCloud Settings To Meet Individual Business Needs ***
<http://www.techrepublic.com/article/fine-tune-mavericks-icloud-settings-to-meet-individual-business-needs/>
Erik Eckel, TechRepublic

*** Apple Antitrust Compliance Off To A Promising Start: Monitor ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/14/us-apple-ebooks-idUSBREA3D1WE20140414>
Nate Raymond, Reuters

> Apple Inc has made a "promising start" to enhancing its antitrust compliance program after being found liable last year for conspiring to raise e-book prices, but more work is required, a court-appointed monitor said Monday.

*** Tackle A Hidden Menu Bar In OS X ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/14/tackle-a-hidden-menu-bar-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> The OS X Menu bar is the gray strip across the top of your monitor, that holds the apple menu and system and application menus on the left, and the status menus (menu extras) on the right. This bar should be present and active to allow you to control your system and applications; however, there may be instances where it is not showing all the time.

*** Screens 3 For Mac Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/screens-3-for-mac-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Two of my favorite changes in Screens 3 are features that mostly work outside of the main app, and they’re both meant to speed up access to your remote computers through Screens.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.imore.com/screens-30-makes-best-mac-vnc-app-even-better">Screens 3.0 makes the best Mac VNC app even better</a> (Rene Ritchie, iMore)

*** Tackle Apple KEXTs Not Loading ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/15/tackle-apple-kexts-not-loading/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Most kernel extensions in OS X are provided by Apple, but every now and then programs such as security software, or drivers for third-party devices, may include a kernel extension to provide system-wide services.

*** MacBook Pro Vs. MacBook Air: How I Made The Choice ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2142289/macbook-pro-vs-macbook-air-how-i-made-the-choice.html#tk.rss_all>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> I’ve had my 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro for a couple months now, and it’s turned out to be an ideal replacement for my previous two laptops. For a slight increase in size and weight over the 2012 11-inch MacBook Air, I’ve gained a much faster machine with not only a physically larger screen, but more pixels on that screen (even in Retina mode).

*** Amazon Cloud Drive Photos 3.0 Adds iOS 7-Friendly Redesign, Upload Enhances, Timeline, And More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/14/amazon-cloud-drive-photos-3-0-adds-ios-7-friendly-redesign-upload-enhances-timeline-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Five Tips To Get Even Better Battery Life From Your MacBook Air Or MacBook Pro ***
<http://www.imore.com/five-battery-saving-tips-your-macbook-air-or-macbook-pro>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> OS X Mavericks software and Haswell chipsets meant Apple could put a lot of emphasis in 2013 to improving battery life and power efficiency in its laptops. But that doesn't mean we can't do better. We can always do better. So here's five suggestions for how to improve the battery life of your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro even <i>more</i>.

*** Xcode Plugins ***
<http://nshipster.com/xcode-plugins/>
Mattt Thompson, NSHipster

> Xcode has had a plugin architecture going back to when Interface Builder was its own separate app. However, this system was relatively obscure, undocumented, and not widely used by third parties. Despite this, developers like Delisa Mason and Marin Usalj have done incredible work creating a stable and vibrant ecosystem of third-party Xcode extensions.

*** Castles In The Air ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/04/21/140421crte_television_nussbaum>
Emily Nussbaum, New Yorker

> The gorgeous existential funk of “Adventure Time.”

*** Why You Should Read Donna Tartt's Pulitzer Prize-winning Novel <i>The Goldfinch</i>. Now. ***
<http://www.elle.com/pop-culture/reviews/donna-tartt-the-goldfinch-book-review>
Boris Kachka, ELLE

> Like Theo’s customers, we want to be deceived, and no one obliges better than the mature Donna Tartt—perhaps not even her younger self.

*** Debunking The Myth Of Chinatown Restaurants ***
<http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/04/platt-on-chinatown.html>
Adam Platt, Grub Street

> The Chinatown dining scene has been stuck in neutral for years now.

*** Not Merely Dead, Most Sincerely Dead ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/arts/video-games/ftl-faster-than-light-by-subset-games.html?_r=0>
Chris Suellentrop, New York Times

> The implacable nature of the game led me to delay writing about FTL at first. Never before have I written about a video game that I haven’t completed — that is to say, that I haven’t won by defeating the game’s final stage. In fact, I’ve told myself that it’s unethical to do so. You have to turn every page, watch every frame.

> But a permadeath game subverts that expectation. Life is permadeath, after all, but you’re not expected to delay your autobiography until you’ve played to the end, are you?

*** Visiting Another Country, No Longer Heard From ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/14/books/red-love-a-memoir-of-east-germany.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
William Grimes, New York Times

> A quarter-century has passed since the Berlin Wall came down and the German Democratic Republic disappeared. That’s more than half the life span of the East German state, a smoke-and-mirrors contraption conjured from the rubble of World War II that has become, for those who lived there, an increasingly distant and improbable memory.

> That memory haunts Maxim Leo, a journalist who grew up in East Berlin and watched the world of his parents and grandparents, and of his own youth, vanish overnight. It lies at the heart of “Red Love: The Story of an East German Family,” his searching and sensitive chronicle of three generations making the journey from euphoric hope to disillusionment to despair.

*** Spying On A Grown-Up World ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/books/in-casebook-mona-simpson-explores-a-family.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Michiko Kakutani, New York Times