[MyAppleMenu] Apr 14, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 14 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Microsoft OneNote For Mac Review: Compelling But Not Yet Ready To Compete With Evernote ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2142562/microsoft-onenote-for-mac-review-compelling-but-not-yet-ready-to-compete-with-evernote.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> OneNote for Mac may not yet be all it needs to be, but it is a compelling note creation tool that makes the creation of notes simple and intuitive. If you’re using Evernote for all that it’s worth, OneNote won’t offer you enough to want to make the change. But, if collaboration, freeform text entry, simultaneous note editing, and the promise of far more features in the very near future seems intriguing, OneNote for Mac is exactly what you need.

*** Hands On With MakerBot's iOS-connected 5Th Generation Of 3D Printers & Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/13/hands-on-with-makerbots-ios-connected-5th-generation-of-3d-printers-digitizer-desktop-3d-scanner>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

*** Can't Be Opened Because It's Too Old ***
<http://eggfreckles.net/notes/cant-be-opened-because-its-too-old/>
Thomas Brand, Egg Freckles

> If something is worth saving, save it in a open file format.

*** How To Search Smarter In Mail ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2142029/how-to-search-smarter-in-mail.html#tk.rss_all>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> With a flexible system of search tokens, Boolean searches, and other options, you can find almost any message you can describe. You can even save a search by converting it into a smart mailbox.

*** Understanding VPP Managed Distribution In Casper ***
<http://www.speirs.org/blog/2014/4/13/understanding-vpp-managed-distribution-in-casper>
Fraser Speirs

> Under VPP-MD, I can just sit at my Casper dashboard and push apps out all over the school. It won't matter if the iPads are in schoolbags or in use. It won't even matter if a pupil is absent that day (a big issue in return-to-base maintenance) - the push will find them at home as long as they're online.

*** Understanding And Adjusting Default Permissions In OS X ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/13/understanding-and-adjusting-default-permissions-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Every file and folder in OS X has permissions associated with it, which allow the system to grant or deny access to specific users and groups. You can see these permissions by getting information on a selected file or folder in the Finder, and then expanding the “Sharing & Permissions” section at the bottom of the window.

*** Hubcaps ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2014/04/21/140421fi_fiction_mcguane>
Thomas McGuane, New Yorker