[MyAppleMenu] Sep 29, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 29 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** How To Launch App Specific Settings With Siri In iOS 7 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/how-to-launch-app-specific-settings-with-siri-in-ios-7>
Dom Esposito, AppAdvice

*** New CPUs, Faster Wi-Fi, Same Flaws: Apple’s 2013 iMac Reviewed ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/new-cpus-faster-wi-fi-same-flaws-apples-2013-imac-reviewed/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Particularly perplexing is the lack of a standard SSD option in an age where most of Apple's laptops include them by default. You can get cheaper and larger SSDs than you could last year and Fusion Drive has proven itself to be a good, reliable way to mix SSD performance with HDD capacity, but even if you're buying the top-end iMac you still have to pay an extra $200 to eliminate the performance bottleneck that the mechanical hard drive has become. Solid-state storage is cheaper than it's ever been, and if there's one upgrade we're hoping for in the 2014 iMacs, that's the one.

*** Is Cupertino Sacrificing Its Core To Apple? ***
<http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-77568453/>
Chris O'brien And Jessica Guynn, Los Angeles Times

> Two years after the project was announced, as the details have come into sharper focus, it's almost impossible to overestimate the effect Apple Campus 2 will have on Cupertino. Apple envisions the 176-acre campus as its own Fortress of Solitude that will cut off northeast Cupertino from the public.

> This week, the city begins a series of hearings to grant final approval for the project. The hearings, and a development agreement under negotiation, represent the city's best chance to set the terms of its relationship with the company for decades to come. Although Apple is eager to move forward on a project already behind schedule, the city must consider what concessions it wants before tying its economic fate so closely to a single company.

*** Why Free Software Is More Important Now Than Ever Before ***
<http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/09/why-free-software-is-more-important-now-than-ever-before/>
Richard Stallman, Wired

> Much has changed since the beginning of the free software movement: Most people in advanced countries now own computers — sometimes called “phones” — and use the internet with them. Non-free software still makes the users surrender control over their computing to someone else, but now there is another way to lose it: Service as a Software Substitute, or SaaSS, which means letting someone else’s server do your own computing activities.

> Why does this control matter? Because freedom means having control over your own life.

*** Underscore Price Dynamics ***
<http://www.marco.org/2013/09/28/underscore-price-dynamics>
Marco Arment

> The market for paid-up-front apps appealing to mass consumers is gone. If you have paid apps in the store, you’ve probably seen the writing on the wall for a while.

*** Escape From “Saturday Night Live,” Birth Of “The Muppet Show” ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/09/28/escape_from_saturday_night_live_birth_of_the_muppet_show/>
Brian Jay Jones, Salon