[MyAppleMenu] Sep 14, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 14 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Venerable PCalc App Gets An Upgrade To Version 3.0 For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/13/venerable-pcalc-app-gets-an-upgrade-to-version-3-0-for-ios-7/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> On the iPhone, there's now a "smarter display" that uses a larger font size for entries and results if there are fewer lines of data to display. That should make it much easier to read numbers on the small screen as you're using a Lorentz Transformation to calculate tips at your favorite restaurant.

*** How Did Wal-Mart's IPhone Discount Defeat Apple's Price Controls? ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-13/how-wal-marts-iphone-discount-defeated-apples-price-controls>
Kyle Stock, Bloomberg

> As the No. 1 cellphone seller in the U.S., Wal-Mart probably doesn’t have much reason to worry about Apple cutting off its supply.

*** Apple's Free iWork Suite Provides Alternative To Office For iOS ***
<http://searchconsumerization.techtarget.com/news/2240205424/Apples-free-iWork-suite-provides-alternative-to-Office-for-iOS>
Diana Hwang, TechTarget

> Mobile employees are beginning to use Apple iPhones and iPads not only as content consumption devices, but also to create content.

*** Online iPhone 5S Orders Open At 12:01 A.m. Pacific Sept. 20, In-store Sales Begin Locally At 8 A.m. ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/13/online-iphone-5s-orders-open-at-1201-am-pacific-sept-20-in-store-sales-begin-locally-at-8-am-local>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

*** Some Thoughts About The iPhone 5S Camera Improvements ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/7329/some-thoughts-about-the-iphone-5s-camera-improvements>
Brian Klug, AnandTech

*** Apple’s iPhone 5S, The A7 Chip, And That 64-Bit Question ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130913/apples-iphone-5s-the-a7-chip-and-that-64-bit-question/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> But chip experts say that there are some gains to be had even from a 64-bit chip without 4GB of addressable memory.

> For one thing, 64-bit integer math will allow the A7 to execute operations much faster than the 32-bit A6. “The fact that the A7 has twice as many processor registers means that more operations can occur without the processor using main memory, which is slower to access,” Carl Howe, VP of research and data sciences at the Yankee Group told AllThingsD.

*** Review: Mynd Calendar App For iPhone ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/13/review-mynd-calender-app-for-iphone/>
Matt Tinsley, TUAW

> What I love most about the home screen, though, is the display of profile pictures (drawn from your iOS contacts, which you've hopefully got setup and syncing with Facebook or Twitter) of people you're going to meet on a given day. To me, seeing a picture of a friend or colleague in my calender means a great deal more emotionally than simply seeing a name in text.

*** SimCity Review: Gather Your Friends, Because You're Going To Need Them ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048124/simcity-review-gather-your-friends-because-youre-going-to-need-them.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris Holt, Macworld

> By playing alone, you aren’t missing out on minor resources, either: having one player specialize in tourism can affect the entire region, or having one player with great oil resources can save you the trouble of buying your own power plant. It’s a huge deal, and cannot be overstated: SimCity is now a multiplayer game and playing without other people is going be much more difficult and limiting.

*** Photoshop Express For iOS Gets Updated With New Filters ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/13/photoshop-express-for-ios-gets-updated-with-new-filters/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

*** Fixing iTunes Albums ***
<http://ihnatko.com/2013/09/13/fixing-itunes-albums/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fixing-itunes-albums>
Andy Ihnatko

*** International Verify Your Backups Day ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/10071?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> The act of backing up is only the first small step in the full equation — it’s being able to <i>restore</i> that really matters.

*** Beyond Borscht ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/15/books/review/mastering-the-art-of-soviet-cooking-by-anya-von-bremzen.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Sara Wheeler, New York Times

> The culinary memoir has lately evolved into a genre of its own, what is now known as a “foodoir.” But Anya von Bremzen is a better writer than most of the genre’s practitioners, as this delectable book, which tells the story of postrevolutionary Russia through the prism of one family’s meals, amply demonstrates.

*** ‘Permanent Present Tense: The Unforgettable Life Of The Amnesic Patient, H. M.’ By Suzanne Corkin ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/permanent-present-tense-the-unforgettable-life-of-the-amnesic-patient-h-m-by-suzanne-corkin/2013/09/12/553377dc-b692-11e2-92f3-f291801936b8_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Michael S. roth, Washington Post

> Henry Molaison (1926-2008) lived a long life, but as it turned out, he experienced most of it in a very short time segments. His seizures started early, and by the time he was in high school they had become frequent. Medications to control epilepsy had a variety of side effects, and still they didn’t eliminate the seizures. The terrible blackouts were always a possibility.

*** What's Wrong With The Modern World ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/sep/13/jonathan-franzen-wrong-modern-world>
Jonathan Franzen, The Guardian