[MyAppleMenu] Sep 9, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 9 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Home Is Where The Heart Is: 8 Apps For House Hunters ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2048225/home-is-where-the-heart-is-8-apps-for-house-hunters.html#tk.rss_all>
Damon Brown, TechHive

*** Is AppleCare Worth It? ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048197/is-applecare-worth-it-.html#tk.rss_all>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

> AppleCare (or AppleCare+ for iPhones and iPads) is an insurance policy for your devices. You pay an up-front cost to cover any potential problems. But more precisely, AppleCare plans extend the length of your hardware coverage for both repairs and support. Apple offers four separate plans—for Macs and Apple displays, iPhones, iPads, and iPods and Apple TVs.

*** Fan Files Class-action Lawsuit Against Apple Over Breaking Bad’s Short Season Pass ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/08/fan-files-class-action-lawsuit-against-apple-over-breaking-bad-short-season-pass/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Xbox Music Now Available For iPhone And iPod Touch ***
<http://www.imore.com/xbox-music-now-available-iphone-and-ipod-touch>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Privacy Scandal: NSA Can Spy On Smart Phone Data ***
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/privacy-scandal-nsa-can-spy-on-smart-phone-data-a-920971.html>
Spiegel

> The United States' National Security Agency intelligence-gathering operation is capable of accessing user data from smart phones from all leading manufacturers. Top secret NSA documents that SPIEGEL has seen explicitly note that the NSA can tap into such information on Apple iPhones, BlackBerry devices and Google's Android mobile operating system.

> The documents state that it is possible for the NSA to tap most sensitive data held on these smart phones, including contact lists, SMS traffic, notes and location information about where a user has been.

*** How-to: Use iOS’s Guided Access Feature ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/08/how-to-use-ioss-guided-access-feature/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Sarah Guarino, 9 To 5 Mac

> Guided Access is an accessibility feature that came out with iOS 6. Guided Access enables you to set up the iOS device so that you cannot leave apps, and you are able to control which features of the app you are allowed to use or not use.

*** ‘Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives’ By Sarah Weinman ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-troubled-daughters-twisted-wives-by-sarah-weinman/2013/09/08/c7a1afc0-14b4-11e3-a100-66fa8fd9a50c_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Patrick Anderson, Washington Post

> Sarah Weinman’s short-story anthology, “Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives,” honors an earlier generation of American women crime writers who she believes have been denied the recognition they deserve. Her book contains stories by 14 writers who were publishing mostly from the early 1940s through the mid-’70s.

*** A Peek Inside My Son's Head ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/books/2013/09/autism_memoir_by_japanese_teenager_david_mitchell_translates_the_reason.html>
David Mitchell, Slate