[MyAppleMenu] Sep 7, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 7 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Yelp Gets New Photo Viewer, New Search Filter UI And A Couple Of Other Improvements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/yelp-gets-new-photo-viewer-new-search-filter-ui-and-a-couple-of-other-improvements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Microsoft OneNote For iPad Gains Notebook Creation, iPhone App Reduces Size ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/microsoft-onenote-for-ipad-gains-notebook-creation-iphone-app-reduces-size>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** 1Password And The Crypto Wars ***
<http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/09/06/1password-and-the-crypto-wars/>
Agile Blog

> Our role in this as a company is to be transparent about our approach to security while keeping your 1Password data protected.

*** VLC For iOS Updated With Improved International Support, FTP Server Discovery ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/06/vlc-for-ios-updated-with-improved-international-support-ftp-server-discovery/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple To Unveil New Store At Stanford Shopping Center ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24030068/apple-unveil-new-store-at-stanford-shopping-center>
Jason Green, San Jose Mercury News

*** Spanish Pretati iPhone App Review: Useful Video Dictionary ***
<http://www.tapscape.com/spanish-pretati-iphone-app-review/>
Tucker Cummings, Tapscape

> Being able to watch someone’s mouth can really help you with your own pronunciation.

*** MacBook Air Revisited: 12 Weeks In ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/macbook-air-revisited-12-weeks-in-7000020308/>
James Kendrick, ZDNet

> The hardware is fantastic, performance is great, and battery life is wonderful. It's one of the best laptops I've ever purchased, if not the best, and I'd happily buy it again.

*** How To Detect Displays In OS X 10.8 ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57601545-263/how-to-detect-displays-in-os-x-10.8/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

*** Judge Lays Down Apple’s Punishment In Ebooks Case. It’s Largely In Line With What The Feds Wanted ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/09/06/judge-lays-down-apples-punishment-in-ebooks-case-in-line-with-what-the-feds-wanted/>
Laura Hazard Owen, GigaOM

> Judge Cote’s injunction forbids Apple from enforcing most-favored-nation clauses in any ebook publishing contracts for five years, and also forbids the company from entering into any book publishing contracts that contain them for five years.

> The DOJ had wanted to change Apple’s in-app purchase policies, and had wanted to force Apple to allow competing ebook retailers — like Amazon — to sell ebooks through their apps without taking its customary 30 percent commission. Luckily for Apple, none of that is included in the final injunction.

*** Intermission Transforms Audio Streaming With TiVo-like Replay ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/06/intermission-transforms-audio-streaming-with-tivo-like-replay/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

> Intermission enables you to pause, rewind and skip through live audio streams. This lets you take control of any audio you listen to, regardless of application. It just works, always passively listening and ready for you to take charge.

*** The Clear Day Screensaver For Mac Is Pretty And Useful ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/06/the-clear-day-screensaver-for-mac-is-pretty-and-useful/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> This US$1.99 app lets you view the weather in more than 2.5 million cities via a beautifully rendered globe.

*** In Praise Of Bioshock Infinite For Mac ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14084?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> So what makes a great video game? Artistry. When the development team moves beyond basic game mechanics to adding flair just to enrich the overall experience. That’s what enables a game to transcend mere competence and aspire to immortality.

*** Citi Bike And The City ***
<http://city-journal.org/2013/eon0906ng.html>
Nicole Gelinas, City Journal

> Some thoughts on cycling around Manhattan.

*** The Saturday Poem: Deer ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/sep/07/deer-helen-mort-saturday-poem>
Helen Mort, The Guardian

*** Final Showdown ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/books/review/maddaddam-by-margaret-atwood.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Andrew Sean Greer, New York Times

> What a joy it is to see Margaret Atwood taking such delicious pleasure in the end of the world. And it <i>is</i> nothing but flowers.

*** Why we read New York Times wealth porn ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/09/06/why_we_read_new_york_times_wealth_porn/>
Roxane Gay, Salon

> Their stories of the 1 percent are gruesome real-world fairy tales -- and I can't look away.

*** Unhappy Truckers And Other Algorithmic Problems ***
<http://nautil.us/issue/3/in-transit/unhappy-truckers-and-other-algorithmic-problems>
Tom Vanderbilt, Nautilus