[MyAppleMenu] Sep 6, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 6 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** How The NSA Snoop-proofs Its Macs ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048160/how-the-nsa-snoop-proofs-its-macs.html#tk.rss_all>
Rich Mogull, Macworld

*** More On Playlists And Syncing Music To An iPod Shuffle ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048114/more-on-playlists-and-syncing-music-to-an-ipod-shuffle.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> In this week’s column, I look at several questions related to playlists, and I also tackle a bonus question about syncing music to an iPod shuffle.

*** 'Junk Jack X' Review - Beauty In Simplicity ***
<http://toucharcade.com/2013/09/05/junk-jack-x-review-beauty-in-simplicity/>
Eric Ford, Touch Arcade

*** Ping For iPhone: Does Merging Email And Instant Messaging Make Sense? ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/5/4694568/ping-for-iphone-app-does-merging-email-and-instant-messaging-make-sense>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

> Ping fuses email and IM in a fascinating and useful new way.

*** N.S.A. Foils Much Internet Encryption ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us/nsa-foils-much-internet-encryption.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
Nicole Perlroth, Jeff Larsona nd Scott Shane, New York Times

> The National Security Agency is winning its long-running secret war on encryption, using supercomputers, technical trickery, court orders and behind-the-scenes persuasion to undermine the major tools protecting the privacy of everyday communications in the Internet age, according to newly disclosed documents.

> The agency has circumvented or cracked much of the encryption, or digital scrambling, that guards global commerce and banking systems, protects sensitive data like trade secrets and medical records, and automatically secures the e-mails, Web searches, Internet chats and phone calls of Americans and others around the world, the documents show.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-how-to-remain-secure-surveillance">How to remain secure against NSA surveillance</a> (Bruce Schneier, The Guardian): The NSA has huge capabilities – and if it wants in to your computer, it's in. With that in mind, here are five ways to stay safe.

*** Healthier Review: Mac App Reminds You To Get Up Off Of That Thing ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046476/healthier-review-mac-app-reminds-you-to-get-up-off-of-that-thing.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Healthier allows you to set how often you’d like to be interrupted to take a break—between 10 and 90 minutes, at one minute intervals—and how long that break should be—between one and 20 minutes.

*** Unleash Your Inner Picasso With Pogo Connect's New Pressure-sensitive Brush Nibs ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048162/unleash-your-inner-picasso-with-pogo-connects-new-pressure-sensitive-brush-nibs.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

*** Adobe Announces Photoshop CC And Lightroom Plan For $9.99/Month ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/05/adobe-announces-photoshop-cc-and-lightroom-plan-for-9-99-month/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> The new subscription plan is for current owners of Photoshop CS3 or higher and offers the latest versions of Photoshop CC and Lightroom, 20 GB of online storage, and a membership to Adobe's Behance portfolio website all for just US$9.99 a month.

*** How To Manage Notification Settings For New Messages In The Gmail For iOS App ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-manage-notification-settings-new-messages-gmail-ios-app>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Racing Simulator iRacing.com Comes To Mac ***
<http://www.imore.com/racing-simulator-iracingcom-comes-mac>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> iRacing features subscription-based, massively-multiplayer online racing in multiple leagues, including NASCAR, IndyCar, and Williams F1.

*** Path Update Ushers In Premium Subscription Tier ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/path-update-ushers-in-premium-subscription-tier>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice