[MyAppleMenu] Oct 20, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 20 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** A Lojack For Bikes Lets You Track Down Thieves With Your Phone ***
<http://www.fastcoexist.com/3019852/a-lojack-for-bikes-lets-you-track-down-thieves-with-your-phone>
Co.Exist

*** iMessage End-to-End Encryption: We Have To Take Apple’s Word For It ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2013/10/imessage_encryption>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> If you believe or even suspect that Apple is lying about this, consider at least that Apple is taking an enormous risk by doing so. If they are in fact allowing law enforcement or the NSA to surreptitiously decrypt iMessage content, their corporate credibility will suffer an enormous, perhaps irrevocable loss if it ever comes to light.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/19/why-apples-claim-that-it-cant-intercept-imessages-is-largely-semantics/">Why Apple’s claim that it can’t intercept iMessages is largely semantics</a> (Ashkan Soltani, Washington Post)

*** Love In The Gardens ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/nov/07/love-boboli-borghese-gardens/?src=longreads>
Zadie Smith, The New York Review Of Books

> When my father was old and I was still young, I came into some money. Though it was money “earned” for work done, it seemed, both to my father and me, no different than a win on the lottery. We looked at the contract more than once, checking and rechecking it, just like a lottery ticket, to ensure no mistake had been made. No mistake had been made. I was to be paid for writing a book. For a long time, neither of us could work out what to do about this new reality. My father kept on with his habit of tucking a ten- or twenty-pound note inside his letters to me. I took the rest of my family (my parents having separated long before) to a “resort” back in the “old country” (the Caribbean) where we rode around bored in golf carts, argued violently, and lined up in grim silence to receive a preposterous amount of glistening fruit, the only black folk in line for the buffet.

*** Authors Accept Censors’ Rules To Sell In China ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/world/asia/authors-accept-censors-rules-to-sell-in-china.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Andrew Jacobs, New York Times

> Chinese readers of Ezra F. Vogel’s sprawling biography of China’s reformist leader Deng Xiaoping may have missed a few details that appeared in the original English edition.

*** The Bone Dragon By Alexia Casale – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/19/bone-dragon-alexia-casale-review>
Linda Buckley-Archer, The Guardian