[MyAppleMenu] May 27, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 27 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Mailbox On iOS Is A Major Improvement Over The Official Gmail Client ****
<http://betanews.com/2013/05/27/mailbox-on-ios-is-a-major-improvement-over-the-official-gmail-client/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed+-+bn+-+Betanews+Full+Content+Feed+-+BN>
Nick Peers, Beta News

**** Fitbit Flex Review ****
<http://www.t3.com/reviews/fitbit-flex-review>
Michael Sawh, T3

> If you are happy to whip out the smartphone to check your progress, the Flex is a great choice for the price in terms of what it can offer, but a little extra can get you a One that has a display, a better battery life and increased accuracy while a little more will get you a Fuelband that works as a pretty nifty watch as well.

Also:
• <a href="http://isource.com/2013/05/26/review-fitbit-flex-the-best-wearable-fitness-accessory-for-your-iphone/">Review: Fitbit Flex – The best wearable fitness accessory for your iPhone</a> (Brad Gurgel, iSource)

**** Apple Under Spotlight As Europe Probes Carriers For Evidence Of Unfair iPhone Sales Tactics ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/26/4369012/ec-sends-apple-iphone-antitrust-questionnaire-to-carriers>
Sam Byford, The Verge

**** A Reply From Silicon Valley ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/georgepacker/2013/05/silicon-valley-taxes-and-libertarianism.html>
George Packer, New Yorker

**** Review: XCOM: Enemy Unknown-Elite Edition ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2039532/review-xcom-enemy-unknown-elite-edition.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris Barylick, Macworld

**** Next Generation Latin American Fiction ****
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113209/latin-american-fiction-reviewed-sam-carter>
Sam Carter, New Republic

> What happens when the dictators are gone?

**** Lisa Randall’s Guide To The Galaxy ****
<http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Lisa-Randalls-Guide-to-the-Galaxy-208338141.html?c=y&story=fullstory>
Ron Rosenbaum, Smithsonian Magazine

> She is a star professor of the stars, a cosmological celebrity, and only in part because she is the first female theoretical physicist tenured at Harvard . It was really her conjecture in the late ’90s about string theory’s “extra dimensions” that gained her prominence in the field. She garnered more attention for her explication of the Higgs boson quest, and for her subsequent writings attempting to explain to the rest of us what she does and how exciting it is to do it, most recently <i>Knocking on Heaven’s Door</i>.

> And now she thinks she and her Harvard physics colleagues have found something new. What she is excited about is “dark matter,” which—along with “dark energy”—makes up the vast majority of the known universe. The current estimate is that 70 percent of the universe is dark energy and 26 percent dark matter. Which adds up to 96 percent. Meaning that what we see and know adds up to a measly 4 percent.

**** A Killer Turns Time Into A Getaway Vehicle: 'The Shining Girls,' A Novel By Lauren Beuks ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/books/the-shining-girls-a-novel-by-lauren-beukes.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Janet Maslin, New York Times