[MyAppleMenu] May 26, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 26 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** It Ain't What You Do, It's The Way That You Get A Robot To Do It ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/26/robots-make-human-activity-obsolete>
David Mitchell, The Observer

> Just when machines are developing ways to watch us, cry out to us and move independently, the police are becoming as remote as a warehouse of servers.

**** The C.E.O. Triumphant (At Least At Apple And Chase) ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/your-money/at-apple-and-jpmorgan-a-good-week-for-the-ceo.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
Jeff Sommer, New York Times

> That ancient tension between legal tax avoidance and illegal tax evasion, and between a corporation’s self-interest and the fundamental requirements of a government and its citizens, remains at the heart of the American system. It was on full display at the Senate hearing last week on Apple’s tax practices in the 21st century.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/26/technology-apple-amazon-google">Why should Apple have access to consumers if it refuses to pay its fair share of taxes?</a> (Robert Reich, The Observer): These apparent contradictions are rooted in the same reality: global capital, in the form of multinational corporations as well as very wealthy individuals, is gaining enormous bargaining power over nation states.
• <a href="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/margareta-pagano/margareta-pagano-apple-a-gamechanger-again-with-simpler-tax-call-8632278.html">Apple a game-changer again with 'simpler tax' call</a> (Margareta Pagano, The Independent)

**** The Snooze Dock: An Alarm Clock Stand For Your iPhone ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/05/25/the-snooze-dock-an-alarm-clock-stand-for-your-iphone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Macgasm

**** Debating How To Market An iPhone App ****
<http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/24/debating-how-to-market-an-iphone-app/?src=recg>
Richard Demb, New York Times

> Marcela Miyazawa, a founder of the start-up, Wanderable, said the honeymoon gift registry has exceeded her expectations in attracting users, but she is disappointed in the response to the app. She was thankful for all of the reader suggestions, which she discussed in a conversation that has been edited and condensed.

**** Seven Apps Ars Readers Use To Chase Away The iOS Default-app Blues ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/05/seven-apps-ars-readers-use-to-chase-away-the-ios-default-app-blues/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

**** What Does It Really Feel Like To Fall Out Of A Building? ****
<http://www.salon.com/2013/05/25/what_does_it_really_feel_like_to_fall_out_of_a_building/>
Claudia Hammond, Salon

> Life speeds up when we get older and slows down when we are terrified. Unlocking the mysteries of time perception.

**** I Love ‘The Big Bang Theory.’ And You Should, Too. ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/magazine/i-love-the-big-bang-theory-and-you-should-too.html?ref=magazine>
Rob Hoerburger, New York Times

> Such a surplus of options can lead to a kind of cultural snobbery, the denigration of an artist or art form simply because you missed it the first time around. More than one prominent music critic, for instance, didn’t anticipate the fireball that was Adele in 2011 and then, several platinum certifications later, wrote begrudging mea culpas that basically said, “I guess she’s O.K.”

> I was guilty of this kind of critical elitism. Until a year and a half ago, I had never seen an episode of “The Big Bang Theory.” Yes, <i>that</i> “Big Bang Theory.”

**** Stephen King, We Love You, But Leave The Choice To Us ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/25/stephen-king-new-book-print-only-mistake?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Jonny Geller, The Observer

> I think his defiant gesture of support for booksellers is well-intentioned but missing the point. It is not what readers want.

**** How Uganda's Female Writers Found Their Voice ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/26/how-ugandas-women-writers-femwrite?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Elizabeth Day, The Observer