[MyAppleMenu] May 15, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 15 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** 13 Things You Must Know When Starting Out In iOS/Mac Development ****
<http://www.appdesignvault.com/start-advice/>
App Design Vault

**** Yahoo! Mail For iOS Adds AirPrint Support, Performance Improvements ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/05/15/yahoo-mail-for-ios-adds-airprint-support-performance-improvements/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Kaylie Moise, Macgasm

**** Review: Robot Unicorn Attack 2 Is Every Bit Ridiculous As It Sounds ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038752/review-robot-unicorn-attack-2-is-every-bit-ridiculous-as-it-sounds.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris Holt, Macworld

> Robot Unicorn Attack 2 isn't as difficult, and it's perhaps not as funny (sequels to jokes rarely are) but I think it's actually a better game. Challenge your friends, engage in the daily battles between rival robot unicorn factions “Team Rainbow” and “Team Inferno,” and enjoy the expanded mythos for one of the most interesting franchises for iOS.

**** Seeking A Simple Movie Editor? Try QuickTime Pro 7 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038730/seeking-a-simple-movie-editor-try-quicktime-pro-7.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> As you suggest, Apple would likely point you to iMovie as the way to get these simple tasks done, but, as you also suggest, I believe it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Follow the link above, pungle up your $29, and you’re well on your way to performing simple movie edits.

**** Apple Worked To Fix E-Book Prices, U.S. Says In Filing ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-14/apple-worked-to-fix-e-book-prices-u-s-says-in-filing.html>
Patricia Hurtado, Bloomberg

> Apple said in court papers filed April 26 and made public today that it engaged in “one-on-one, and at times contentious negotiations” with book publishers over e-books. Apple said it “never spoke to more than one publisher at the same time” during its negotiations and had no knowledge of any intra-publisher communications during the time Apple was negotiating its agency agreements.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4332840/steve-jobs-email-rupert-murdoch-ebook-price-fixing-case-department-of-justice">US DoJ calls Apple's ebook antitrust defense 'unconvincing,' presents Steve Jobs email as evidence</a> (Aaron Souppouris, The Verge)

**** Evernote Hello Updated With New Address Book Section And New Profile Fields ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/05/evernote-hello-updated-with-new-address-book-section-and-new-profile-fields>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

**** iMovie For Mac Now Works Better With Your iMovie For iOS Projects ****
<http://www.imore.com/imovie-mac-now-works-better-your-imovie-ios-projects>
Richard Devine, iMore

**** Tips And Tricks For iPhoto For iOS ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038740/tips-and-tricks-for-iphoto-for-ios.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris McVeigh, Macworld

> Although iPhoto for iOS isn’t quite as robust as its OS X counterpart, it’s a very capable image editor—and it can do a few cool tricks you simply can’t do on your Mac.

**** QuickRes 3.0 Makes Switching Resolutions On Your Retina MacBook Pro Quick And Easy ****
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/14/quickres-3-0-makes-switching-resolutions-on-your-retina-macbook-pro-quick-and-easy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

**** How To Remove Services From The Contextual Menu In Mac OS X ****
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/14/remove-services-contextual-menu-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

**** Quickly Add Items To The OS X Finder Sidebar And Dock ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57584469-263/quickly-add-items-to-the-os-x-finder-sidebar-and-dock/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> The standard and perhaps intuitive method of adding items to these locations is to drag them there; however, it's not foolproof. If you inadvertently release your mouse before the cursor has reached the Dock or sidebar, then you chance copying or moving the item out of its current folder to the Desktop or to another window. Sometimes you can even embed items in open documents that were under where you released the mouse.

**** Photo Stream, Why So Complicated? ****
<http://www.imore.com/photo-stream-why-so-complicated>
Leanna Lofte, iMore

**** Siri Update Prompts Users To Be Brief ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/05/14/siri-update-prompts-users-to-be-brief/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

> Apple's voice interaction system Siri has been updated, this time specifically to ask users to keep it short. Siri's system doesn't deal well with longer user queries, so if you happen to ask something that's just too long for Siri to deal with, she'll interrupt you, giving you a quote from a famous person, and then asking you to rephrase the question, shorter or in fewer words.

**** Square's New Stand Turns iPad Into A Cash Register ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038719/squares-new-stand-turns-ipad-into-a-cash-register.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> Internet payment company Square has announced a new accessory that turns your iPad into a high-tech cash register, complete with built-in credit-card swiper and a slew of point-of-sale accessories.

**** Hard Disk Clicking And A Time Machine Failure ****
<http://www.davidalison.com/2013/05/hard-disk-clicking-and-time-machine.html>
David Alison's Blog

> I’ve always been a big fan of Time Machine. I love that Apple has made backing up as simple as they have. This little experience has given me pause though. Time Machine had failed and I never received an error message. No notice, no warning. Just a lot of missing files.

**** Enlightened Monsters ****
<http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1256265.ece>
Michael Saler, The Times Literary Supplement

> The child may be father to the man, but how did a girl become mother to the monster? We continue to ask that of Mary Shelley, who wrote <i>Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus</i> (1818) before she turned twenty. It is a startling work from someone so young, combining profound philosophic disquisitions with melodramatic blood and thunder.

**** I Believe I Can Fry ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/dining/making-fried-chicken-with-confidence.html?ref=dining&_r=0>
Julia Moskin, New York Times