[MyAppleMenu] May 14, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 14 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** OneSafe Password Manager Comes To The Mac, Sync Across Your Devices With iCloud ****
<http://www.imore.com/onesafe-password-manager-comes-mac-sync-across-your-devices-icloud>
Richard Devine, iMore

> Like the iOS version, oneSafe for Mac is iCloud enabled, meaning now you can sync all of your information across all of your devices. It's pretty much the missing link in the chain, for anyone who uses these apps seriously will likely need them on the desktop as well. The same 256-bit encryption is employed in the Mac version, as are all of the popular features from oneSafe for iOS.

**** An iPhone Jury-Rigged As A Microscope ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/health/an-iphone-jury-rigged-as-a-microscope.html?ref=science&_r=0>
Donald G. McNeil Jr., New York Times

> By sticking a little $8 lens to an iPhone with a piece of double-sided tape, a Canadian doctor has produced a microscope that works reasonably well at diagnosing intestinal worms in children.

**** Five Sure-Fire Ways To Sabotage A Release ****
<http://blog.hoctor.com/five-sure-fire-ways-to-sabotage-a-release/>
Entrepreneurial Seduction

> I made way too many mistakes for a guy that has been doing this for over three decades. Learn from my errors and ship awesome software. I’m trying to do the same.

**** Routing Around Apple’s Restrictions, AppCertain & Others Bring Enterprise-Level Control To Consumers In The Interest Of Child Safety ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/13/routing-around-apples-restrictions-appcertain-others-bring-enterprise-level-control-to-consumers-in-the-interest-of-child-safety/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

> The idea is to alert parents about the apps their child uses, including whether or not they have educational value. It doesn’t prevent the child from actually downloading or installing apps.

**** Review: Betaworks Connects The Dots To Score An iOS Hit ****
<http://gigaom.com/2013/05/13/review-betaworks-connects-the-dots-to-score-an-ios-hit/>
Chris Brandrick, GigaOM

> Dots is a wholly satisfying pick-up-and-play game, perfect for those fleeting free moments.

**** BirdDrop Puts Twitter In Your OS X Menubar ****
<http://lifehacker.com/birddrop-puts-twitter-in-your-os-x-menubar-504662208>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

**** France Weighs 'Culture Tax' For Apple, Google Products ****
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/05/13/france-culture-tax-apple-google-idINDEE94C0AQ20130513>
Nicholas Vinocur And Marine Pennetier, Reuters

> President Francois Hollande will decide by the end of July whether France should impose new taxes on technology giants like Apple and Google to finance cultural projects, a move that could feed into an anti-business image days after a spat with Yahoo!.

Maybe France should sweeten the deal by offering free programming on iTunes and Google Play stores in return?

**** Mount & Unmount Drives From The Command Line In Mac OS X ****
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/13/mount-unmount-drives-from-the-command-line-in-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

**** Keeping In Touch With TouchFire ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13761?rss>
Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

> The TouchFire isn’t a keyboard at all; it’s a piece of plastic that lies on top of your iPad, attached by some magnets, just covering the area of the standard virtual keyboard. The plastic is thin enough that your touches are felt by the iPad’s touchscreen, but thick enough to give your fingers a sense of position and feedback, as if you were typing on a very thin physical keyboard.

**** Reason 7 Music Production, Propellerheads’ Best Version So Far ****
<http://photo.it-enquirer.com/2013/05/reason-7-music-production-propellerheads-best-version-so-far/>
Erik Vlietinck, IT Enquirer

**** InstaPocketability ****
<http://eggfreckles.net/notes/instapocketability/>
Thomas Brand, Egg Freckles

> As I have said it has shown me the value of what reading later is all about. I just don’t want to be confined by the limitations of a single company.

**** iPhone Traveler Pt. 6 – Apps And Tips From An International Airline Pilot ****
<http://52tiger.net/iphone-traveler-pt-6-apps-and-tips-from-an-international-airline-pilot/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed>
Dave Caolo, 52 Tiger

**** 1Password 4.2 Brings 1Browser, Login, And Search Improvements ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/1password-4-2-brings-1browser-login-and-search-improvements/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Thanks to the latest updates, 1Password for iOS is reaching the same degree of functionality of the desktop app with browser extensions.

**** T-Mobile US Raises Down Payment Price Of iPhone 5 To $149 Very, Very Quietly ****
<http://www.imore.com/t-mobile-us-raises-down-payment-price-iphone-5-149-very-very-quietly>
Joseph Keller, iMore

**** How To Open Zip Files & Extract Archives On The iPhone & iPad ****
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/13/open-zip-files-iphone-ipad/>
OS X Daily

**** Mac Gems: Delineato Pro Is A Clean, Inexpensive Diagram And Mind-mapping App ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2038079/mac-gems-delineato-pro-a-clean-inexpensive-diagram-and-mind-mapping-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Josh Centers, Macworld

**** ‘See You On The Other Side’ ****
<http://www.cjr.org/feature/jessica_lum_feature_morrison.php?page=all&src=longreads>
Sara Morrison, Columbia Journalism Review

> Meet Jessica Lum, a terminally ill 25-year-old who chose to spend what little time she had practicing journalism.

**** Two Poems ****
<http://www.spoliamag.com/two-poems-by-olivia-cronk/>
Olivia Cronk, Spolia