[MyAppleMenu] Mar 5, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 5 18:59:00 EST 2013

**** Four Ways To Get Things Done With Siri ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2029855/four-ways-to-get-things-done-with-siri.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> From reminding you to perform a task, to sending meeting invitations, to keeping track of book recommendations—Siri proves to be surprisingly helpful for taking care of everyday things. Here’s an assortment of tasks to get done with Siri.

**** Mercury Browser Pro Introduces Omnibox, New Multitouch Gestures And More ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/03/mercury-browser-pro-introduces-omnibox-new-multitouch-gestures-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

**** How To Extract Preview's Signatures For Use In Other Applications ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57572103-263/how-to-extract-previews-signatures-for-use-in-other-applications/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> There is a workaround you can use that will allow you to capture any signature from Preview and save it as an image file with proper transparencies that you can use in other applications.

**** 3 Easy Ways To Batch Rename Files On The Mac ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/os-x/3-easy-ways-to-batch-rename-files-on-the-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Paula DuPont, Mactuts+

> We’ll look at two apps that accomplish the same task, batch renaming files, in different ways, and we’ll even create our own application in Automator that batch renames files exactly how we want it done.

**** TweetDeck For iPhone And Adobe Air Will End In May ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/03/04/tweetdeck-for-iphone-and-adobe-air-will-end-in-may/>
Randy Nelson, TUAW

**** Apple Pushes Fix For New Java Vulnerability ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/03/04/apple-pushes-java-fix-for-new-java-vulnerability/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

**** Fear Of A WebKit Planet ****
<http://hypercritical.co/2013/03/04/fear-of-a-webkit-planet>
John Siracusa, Hypercritical

> I haven’t forgotten the past. A single, crappy web browser coming to dominate the market would be just as terrible today as it was in the dark days of IE6. But WebKit is not a browser. Like Linux, it’s an enabling technology. Like Linux, it’s free, open-source, and therefore beyond the control of any single entity.

**** Google Updates Chrome For iOS With Improved Speed, History Tab Access, Web Page Sharing, And Of Course Searching ****
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/04/google-updates-chrome-for-ios-with-improved-speed-history-tab-access-web-page-sharing-and-of-course-searching/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Élyse Betters, 9 To 5 Mac

**** White House: It’s Time To Legalize Cellphone Unlocking ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20130304/white-house-its-time-to-legalize-cell-phone-unlocking/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Ina Fried, All Things D

**** The Crime Of His Childhood ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/nyregion/40-years-after-an-acid-attack-a-life-well-lived.html?_r=0>
Wendell Jamieson, New York Times

> I was 7 years old and lived four blocks away, on St. Johns Place. My mother came into the kitchen that day or the next, her hands shaking. “Wendell,” she said, “Whenever you answer the door, never go out to the gate until you know who is there. Always look through the window of the inside door. Because you know what happened? This little boy on President Street answered the door, and this crazy man poured acid on his head.”

> She took me to our own front gate and made me practice. I thought: why would anyone do that to a kid? The newspaper provided no real clue, just a brief article: “Boy, 4, Is Hurt by Acid Thrower.”

**** Age Your Canned Goods ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/03/aging_canned_goods_why_time_and_heat_can_make_your_canned_tuna_and_spam.html>
Harold McGee, Slate