[MyAppleMenu] Jun 29, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 29 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** The Elements For iPad Review ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/?reviewid=3455369&olo=rss>
Sandra Vogel, Macworld UK

> There are plenty of apps that cover the subject of the periodic table, but none have the panache, great design or addictiveness of the Elements. In iPad terms, this one is a real page-turner and well worth its asking price even if you don’t have to mug up for an exam.

*** I Hate Books ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/06/28/i_hate_books/>
Anna North, Salon

> I just won’t be able to separate the memory from the object, and the object, however heavy, will have to stay.

*** Transfer Files Between Android And OS X With Droid NAS ***
<http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57591464-12/transfer-files-between-android-and-os-x-with-droid-nas/>
Eddie Cho, CNET

> Droid NAS lets you send files back and forth between your Mac and Android phone. The app makes this possible via Wi-Fi and the built-in Bonjour protocol inside OS X.

*** Access Menus Via The Keyboard In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57591609-263/access-menus-via-the-keyboard-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> While the contextual activation is lacking, in OS X you can activate and access the top menu bar using the keyboard, which will give you access to all of the commands in the contextual menu, and more.

*** San Francisco Officials Suggest Significant Changes Needed For Apple's New Flagship Store Proposal ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/28/san-francisco-officials-suggest-significant-changes-needed-for-apples-new-flagship-store-proposal/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

> The city's planners object to the uniform wall of glass along the store's main frontage on Post Street, suggesting that Apple should do more to break up the wall by including colors or textures or vertical design elements. The planners also suggest possibilities for improving the blank Stockton Street frontage, including adding windows or pulling back the storefront to allow for landscaping and perhaps public seating areas.

*** Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421124,00.asp>
Samara Lynn, PC Magazine

> Apple aficionados can rest assured that the new Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station adheres to both Apple's design ethos and its mantra of "it just works"—not to mention delivering decent performance, too.

*** How To Manage Services In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57591575-263/how-to-manage-services-in-os-x/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> One of the relatively hidden but often invaluable features of OS X is its support for services, which is when one application can provide a function or capability to another, and accept some input such as text, files, or images, and perform a separate task with this data.

*** All Or Nothing ***
<http://www.marco.org/2013/06/28/all-or-nothing>
Marco Arment

> But if your app only syncs to your own service and nobody else’s, you’ve put up a massive barrier: for someone who likes feed-reading on multiple platforms, to switch to you, they’ll need to like your respective clients better than their existing choices on <i>every</i> platform they use.

*** The Coming Death Of Venice? ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/jun/20/coming-death-venice/>
Anna Somers Cocks, The New York Review Of Books

> Who will save “the fairy city of the heart”?

*** The Agony Of Ecstasy: 'Taipei,' A Novel By Tao Lin ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/books/review/taipei-a-novel-by-tao-lin.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Clancy Martin, New York Times

> “Taipei” is a love story, and although it’s Lin’s third novel it’s also, in a sense, a classic first novel: it’s semi-autobiographical (Lin has described it as the distillation of 25,000 pages of memory) and it’s a bildungsroman, a coming-of-age story about a young man who learns, through love, that life is larger than he thought it was.

*** Method To The Madness ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/books/review/method-to-the-madness.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Patrick McGrath, New York Times

> Fictional narrative and psychotic illness are mutually exclusive entities.

*** Glass Wings By Fleur Adcock – Review ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/28/glass-wings-fleur-adcock-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Fiona Sampson, The Guardian