[MyAppleMenu] Jun 19, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 19 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Review: Long Live The New MacBook Air ***
<http://techland.time.com/2013/06/19/macbook-air-review/?iid=tl-main-lead>
Harry McCracken, Time

> These were already excellent ultraportable notebooks; now they’re excellent ultraportable notebooks that push battery life to new, productivity-changing heights.

*** Mac Gems: OneSafe Gives 1Password Some Password-saving Competition ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041342/mac-gems-onesafe-gives-1password-some-password-saving-competition.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> There’s much to like about OneSafe. The app is well made, robust, and very easy to use—all excellent attributes for a security app—software that, by necessity, can often feel more annoying than useful. Considering its price and features, OneSafe is a good choice if you’re in the market for a new password manager—and an excellent choice one if you’ve never had one.

*** Lab Tested: New MacBook Air Offers Best Battery Life Of Any Apple Laptop ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042376/lab-tested-new-macbook-air-offers-best-battery-life-of-any-apple-laptop.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

*** How To Extract Audio From Movie Files ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042379/how-to-extract-audio-from-movie-files.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Beach Ball, No More: Chatology Aims To Fix OS X's Messaging Misfortune ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/18/4438146/chatology-for-mac-app-search-your-messages>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

*** iOS Personal Hotspot Passwords Vulnerable To Brute Force Attacks ***
<http://www.imore.com/default-personal-hotspot-passwords-ios-vulnerable-brute-force>
Nick Arnott, iMore

> Researchers at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg have discovered weaknesses in the Personal Hotspot feature in iOS. The weak, and somewhat predictable password generation -- used in all current versions of iOS up through iOS 6 -- means people are susceptible to brute force attacks when using the personal hotspot feature on their iPhone or cellular iPad.

*** 11 Simple Tips For Maximizing iPad Battery Life That Work ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/18/ipad-battery-life-tips/>
OS X Daily

> Tone the brightness down manually and do it often, because the iPad can be very aggressive with readjusting the screen brightness level, and the higher the brightness the faster the battery drains.

*** Wrong ***
<http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/53308781143/wrong>
Neven Mrgan’s Tumbl

> Allow me to declare the following: Jony Ive’s icon grid in iOS 7 is wrong.

*** Lab Tested: Ultimate MacBook Air 2013 Holds Its Own Against The MacBook Pro ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042347/lab-tested-ultimate-macbook-air-2013-holds-its-own-against-the-macbook-pro.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

*** They Deactivate Droids, Don’t They? ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/06/droids_in_star_wars_the_plight_of_the_robotic_underclass.html>
Erik Sofge, Slate

> The unaddressed plight of <i>Star Wars</i>’ robotic underclass.

*** Journey Through The Checkout Racks ***
<http://www.city-journal.org/2013/23_2_womens-magazines.html>
Laura Vanderkam, City Journal

> Comparing women’s magazines, then and now, shows how much America has changed.

*** The Professor Of Truth By James Robertson – Review ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/19/professor-truth-james-robertson-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
John Burnside, The Guardian