[MyAppleMenu] Jul 22, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 22 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** Long-term Review: Apple's Newest MacBook Air Continues To Impress ***
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9240833/Long_term_review_Apple_s_newest_MacBook_Air_continues_to_impress>
Michael deAgonia, Computerworld

> If you don't need the ports or the Retina display, this Air is fantastic. It offers the best balance of mobility and power, with battery life that can exceed 10 hours with a little active power management. It feels far faster than the specs would indicate. And the battery life has outlasted any other Apple notebook I've ever used and reviewed; it's second only to the iPad.

*** Ending For iPad Review - Minimalist Puzzle Game That Contains Everything It Needs ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/?reviewid=3459993&olo=rss>
Alec Meer, Macworld UK

> This devious puzzler will either make you feel very smart or very stupid. As stripped down aesthetically as it could possibly be, but the lack of flashiness or interruption suits the thoughtful, careful challenges well. For the price, Ending is a straight-up bargain.

*** Mac Gems: Veteran Gem LaunchBar Gets Better And Better ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044590/mac-gems-veteran-gem-launchbar-gets-better-and-better.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> The list of improvements and enhancements is long, but the short version is this: One of our all-time favorite utilities is now even better.

*** Apple Acknowledges Developer Portal Hack ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044865/apple-explains-extended-developer-portal-outage.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> "Last Thursday, an intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers from our developer website. Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers’ names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed. In the spirit of transparency, we want to inform you of the issue. We took the site down immediately on Thursday and have been working around the clock since then."

*** Viewfinder For iOS Is A Unique Way To Share Photos And Memories ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/21/viewfinder-for-ios-is-a-unique-way-to-share-photos-and-memories/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/07/21/dont_be_afraid_of_the_dark_2/>
Paul Bogard, Salon

> There’s no doubt light at night can make us safer, from a lighthouse beam guiding ships from rocky coasts to simply enough sidewalk light to keep us from tripping on cracked cement. But increasing numbers of lighting engineers and lighting designers, astronomers and dark sky activists, physicians and lawyers and police now say that often the amount of light we’re using — and how we’re using it — goes far beyond true requirements for safety, and that when it comes to lighting, darkness, and security we tend to assume as common sense ideas that, in truth, are not so black and white.

*** The Culinary Triangle ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article07181301.aspx>
Sara Davis, The Smart Set

> As Lévi-Strauss said, cooking is a language — sometimes it seems that so much of the work we do as consumers is to read and translate it. But as with cooking itself, decoding food discourse is better — easier to digest — with the right tools.

*** Slow Ideas ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/07/29/130729fa_fact_gawande>
Atul Gawande, New Yorker