[MyAppleMenu] Jul 2, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 2 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Spotify For iOS Updated With Discover Tab And A New Icon ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/2/4485924/spotify-ios-app-update-discover-playlist-edit-icon>
Aaron Souppouris, The Verge

*** Reeder For iPhone Update Now Live, Feedly Support Arrives In The Nick Of Time ***
<http://www.imore.com/reeder-iphone-update-now-live-feedly-and-feed-wrangler-support-just-nick-time>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Gesture-Based Get-Things-Done Email App Boxer Finally Gets Full IMAP Support ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/gesture-based-get-things-done-email-app-boxer-finally-gets-full-imap-support>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Rolls Out Back To School Promotion, Adds iPhone To The Mix ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2043499/apple-rolls-out-back-to-school-promotion-adds-iphone-to-the-mix.html#tk.rss_all>
Macworld

> When customers purchase a Mac for college, they’ll receive a $100 App Store Gift Card, alongside the usual educational pricing discounts—up to $200—that the company offers.

*** Everything You Need To Know About The Great E-book Price War ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/07/01/everything_you_need_to_know_about_the_great_e_book_price_war/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> For Apple, the stakes remain high. If it is found to have violated antitrust law with the iBookstore, it will not be asked to pay damages. Instead, the DOJ will likely demand that Apple clean up its act and insist on overseeing its operations, perhaps as it did in settling the antitrust case against Microsoft in 2001. E-books make up a small sliver of iTunes sales, but the rest of the content offered there — music, apps, video — is obtained on very similar terms. Having the DOJ hovering over and meddling in future agreements would decidedly cramp Apple’s style. There are also pending and potential civil suits filed by states’ attorneys general and consumer groups seeking damages that would get a boost from a decision against Apple.

> But for the Big Six publishers, this “defeat” has a surprising upside. They appear to have achieved much of what they wanted in the first place, which was not money but a more competitive e-book market and more control over the prices (and perceived value) of their books.

*** Apple Reportedly Paid No Corporate Taxes In The UK Last Year ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/1/4483362/apple-zero-corporate-tax-uk-legal-loophole>
Nathan Olivarez-Giles, The Verge

*** Transmit 4.4 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13885?rss>
Agen G.N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** The Liberating 2013 MacBook Air ***
<http://techpinions.com/the-liberating-macbook-air-2013/19533>
Ben Bajarin, TechPinions

> After a week and a half with the new MacBook Air I can testify that this notebook more than delivers on its battery life claims.

*** OneNote For iOS Gets An Overhaul ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/01/onenote-for-ios-gets-an-overhaul/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

*** The Old Ways: A Journey On Foot By Robert Macfarlane – Review ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jul/02/old-ways-robert-macfarlane-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Nicholas Lezard, The Guardian

> In the final book in his trilogy about landscape and the human heart, Macfarlane turns his attention to sacred encounters and wild walks.

*** A Quantum Of Solace: Timeless Questions About The Universe ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/science/space/timeless-questions-about-the-universe.html?ref=science>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

> This spring the theoretical physicist Lee Smolin published a new book, “Time Reborn,” reopening a debate supposedly settled by Einstein and his acolytes a century ago: whether time is real or an illusion.

*** Decline And Fall Of The History Men ***
<http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/5080/full>
Daniel Johnson, Standpoint