[MyAppleMenu] Feb 20, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 20 18:59:00 EST 2013

**** Fixing A Safari-to-Mail Disconnect ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2028709/fixing-a-safari-to-mail-disconnect.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** The Apple Stock Suit: What It All Means ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2028224/the-apple-stock-suit-what-it-all-means.html>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

**** Don't Get Apple Picked: How To Protect Your Mac From Theft In Public Places ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2028403/dont-get-apple-picked-how-to-protect-your-mac-from-theft-in-public-places.html>
Ben Boychuk, Macworld

> Through a combination of software and hardware products, it’s not hard to protect your MacBook from the scourge of Apple picking.

**** iTunes 11.0.2: How To Activate The New “Composers View” ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2013/02/20/itunes-11-0-2-how-to-activate-the-new-composers-view/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> It’s odd that Apple would announce something new, yet have it disable by default, but if you’ve been scratching your head trying to find this feature, it’s just a few clicks away.

**** Mailbox Review ****
<http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/mailbox_review>
Andrew Hayward, Mac Life

**** Kindle For Mac: Everything You Need To Know To Read In Sync ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/synchronization/kindle-for-mac-everything-you-need-to-know-to-read-in-sync/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Connor Turnbull, Mactuts+

**** Audible Updates Its iOS App, Adds Support For The iPad ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/19/audible-updates-its-ios-app-adds-support-for-the-ipad/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

**** Tweetbot For Mac 1.2 Brings Notifications For Specific Users, Vine Previews, UI Tweaks ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/tweetbot-for-mac-1-2-brings-notifications-for-specific-users-vine-previews-ui-tweaks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Among the notable features of this new version, Tapbots is introducing notifications for specific users, support for inline Flickr and Vine previews, and compliance with the Twitter 1.1 API.

**** Security Bug? ****
<http://inessential.com/2013/02/19/security_bug_>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> I understand that OAuth is a security win in some ways. But implementors should, I think, be mindful of what normal people expect — which is that changing your password locks out every app until you re-authenticate.

**** iA Writer Gets Enhanced Interface And New iCloud Engine ****
<http://www.imore.com/ia-writer-gets-enhanced-interface-and-new-icloud-engine>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

> Improvements have been made to text editing, the file browser, scrolling and conflict resolution. On the iPad, there is also a new accessory keyboard and optimized landscape mode.

**** Firefox 19 Released, Adds HTML5 PDF Viewer ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/19/firefox-19-released-adds-html5-pdf-viewer/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> Firefox users will no longer be required to download Adobe's Reader PDF plugin -- something which could be buggy and slow to load.

**** TUAW Bloggers Take On The Mailbox App ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/19/tuaw-bloggers-take-on-the-mailbox-app/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> Mailbox's strategy of "focus on one thing" is a simple concept, but how well does it work in real life?

**** Apple Releases Java Update To Eliminate Malware Threat ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/19/4006328/apple-java-malware-patch>
T.C. Sottek, The Verge

> Apple has released a new version of Java meant to plug a vulnerability that can be exploited to install malware on user's computers.

**** Apple Fixes Exchange (But Not Passcode Unlock) Bug With iOS 6.1.2 ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/apple-fixes-exchange-but-not-passcode-unlock-bug-with-ios-6-1-2/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Apple has released the promised iOS 6.1.2 update today to fix the Exchange bugs that have been plaguing users since the release of iOS 6.1. The bug caused iOS devices connected to Exchange servers to over-poll calendars and mailboxes, leading Microsoft to recommend that administrators block or throttle iOS devices until the bug was fixed.

**** Apple, Macs Hit By Hackers Who Targeted Facebook ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/19/us-apple-hackers-idUSBRE91I10920130219>
Jim Finkle and Joseph Menn, Reuters

> Apple Inc was recently attacked by hackers who infected Macintosh computers of some employees, the company said Tuesday in an unprecedented disclosure describing the widest known cyber attacks targeting Apple computers used by corporations.

> The malware was distributed at least in part through a site aimed at iPhone developers, which might still be infecting visitors who haven't disabled Java in their browser, the person close to the case said.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/2028740/apple-confirms-cyber-attack-will-release-security-tool.html">Apple Confirms Cyber Attack, Will Release Security Tool</a> (Dan Moren, Macworld)
• <a href="http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/02/web-forum-for-iphone-developers-hosted-malware-that-hacked-facebook/">Facebook, Twitter, Apple Hacks May All Originate From Compromised Iphone Dev Site</a> (Sean Gallagher, Ars Technica)

**** In Theory: The Unread And The Unreadable ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2013/feb/18/unread-unreadable-books>
Andrew Gallix, The Guardian

> If literature cannot be reduced to the production of books, neither can it be reduced to the production of meaning. Unreadability may even be a deliberate compositional strategy.

**** I Can't Let You Do That, Dave ****
<http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/columns-and-blogs/cory-doctorow/article/56013-i-can-t-let-you-do-that-dave.html>
Cory Doctorow, Publishers Weekly

> Once we demand that our computers be designed to hide things from us, we invite a world where machines stop listening to our orders, and start issuing them.

**** Shape Shifter: The Joyous Transgressions Of Virginia Woolf’s Orlando ****
<http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/culture/2013/02/shape-shifter-joyous-transgressions-virginia-woolf’s-orlando>
Jeanette Winterson, New Statesman

> It was playful and bold to write a novel as though it were a biography, and to call a fiction a life, and to invent that life around a woman the author was in love with, and to stretch her over 400 years, like a body freed from the problems of gravity.

**** History Lesson From Anh Hai ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2013/02/_history_lesson_from_anh_hai_by_duy_doan.html>
Duy Doan, Slate