[MyAppleMenu] Feb 19, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 19 18:59:01 EST 2013

**** Apple’s Penchant For Sophisticated Simplicity ****
<http://techpinions.com/apples-penchant-for-sophisticated-simplicity/14514>
Ben Bajarin, TechPinions

> Simple solutions require sophisticated technology.

**** When iCloud Isn’t Enough: Balancing Other Cloud Storage Options ****
<http://gigaom.com/2013/02/18/when-icloud-isnt-enough-balancing-other-cloud-storage-options/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gigaomnetwork+%28GigaOM%3A+All+Channels%29>
Mark Crump, GigaOM

**** BeamApp Lets You Beam Music, Maps And More Between iPhone And Mac, And Pick Up Where You Left Off ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/02/18/beamapp-syncs-your-current-music-maps-webpages-and-phone-numbers-across-between-your-iphone-and-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheNextWeb+(The+Next+Web+All+Stories)>
Nick Summers, The Next Web

> BeamApp is a new pair of apps for the iPhone and Mac that can instantly synchronize and share all of your directions, songs or websites. The idea is that whenever you move between devices, whatever task you were carrying out follows with you. So you can continue listening to your favourite song when you leave the house, instantly grab the directions to that bar you’re headed to without jotting down the address, or even dial a phone number from an email without typing a single digit.

**** Snapheal 2.2 Review: Fix Photo Flaws ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3426687&olo=rss>
Duncan Evans, Macworld UK

> The process does work quite well on small objects and there’s always the built-in Clone tool to fall back on.

**** AirPort Express Base Station ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/reviews/?reviewid=3426841&olo=rss>
Mark Hattersley, Macworld UK

> Owning an Apple router is a great option for those of us with multiple Apple devices (MacBooks, iPhones, and so on) and it's an easier and smarter way to set-up and manage a network in the home or small office.

**** Microsoft Quietly Raises Prices Of Mac Office By Up To 17% ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236894/Microsoft_quietly_raises_prices_of_Mac_Office_by_up_to_17_?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> Microsoft has quietly raised prices of Office for the Mac as much as 17% and stopped selling multi-license packages of the application suite.

> The move puts Office for Mac 2011 on the same pricing schedule as the new Office 2013 for Windows. The price increases and the disappearance of the multi-license bundles also makes Microsoft's Office 365, a software-by-subscription deal the company has aggressively pushed, more competitive with traditional "perpetual" licenses.

**** “Skeuomorphism” ****
<http://mantia.me/blog/skeuomorphism/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Louie Mantia

> Making standard UI elements look beautiful shouldn’t be condemned.

**** Restoring A Very Stubborn iPod Touch ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2028610/restoring-a-very-stubborn-ipod-touch.html>

**** The Paper Chase ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2013/02/addicted_to_stationery_confessions_of_a_woman_who_haunts_paper_stores_and.html>
June Thomas, Slate

> My name is June, and I am a stationery addict.

**** Misguided Nostalgia For Our Paleo Past ****
<http://chronicle.com/article/Misguided-Nostalgia-for-Our/137285/>
Marlene Zuk, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

> Other than simple curiosity about our ancestors, why do we care whether an adult from 4,000 years ago could drink milk without getting a stomachache? The answer is that these samples are revolutionizing our ideas about the speed at which our evolution has occurred, and this knowledge, in turn, has made us question the idea that we are stuck with ancient genes, and ancient bodies, in a modern environment.

**** Flash! ****
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article02181301.aspx>
Wayne Curtis, The Smart Set