[MyAppleMenu] Dec 31, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 31 18:59:01 EST 2013

*** This iPad App Wants To Be Your New Assistant ***
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/522936/this-ipad-app-wants-to-be-your-new-assistant/>
Rachel Metz, Technology Review

> Imagine that you’re on the phone with a friend and talking about a new restaurant: one or both of you might go online to find reviews. MindMeld tries to do that for you automatically. Or if you are talking about buying a birthday present for under $15, it will pull up Web pages with inexpensive gift ideas.

*** Popular Twitter App Tweetbot 3 Gains Support For Viewing Photos In Direct Messages ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/popular-twitter-app-tweetbot-3-gains-support-for-viewing-photos-in-direct-messages>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Notebooks 7 Promises A Unified iOS App For All Your Writings And Tasks ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/notebooks-7-promises-a-unified-ios-app-for-all-your-writings-and-tasks>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** The NSA Has Nearly Complete Backdoor Access To Apple's iPhone ***
<http://www.dailydot.com/politics/nsa-backdoor-iphone-access-camera-mic-appelbaum/>
Jay Hathaway, The Daily Dot

> An NSA program called DROPOUTJEEP allows the agency to intercept SMS messages, access contact lists, locate a phone using cell tower data, and even activate the device’s microphone and camera.

> According to leaked documents, the NSA claims a 100 percent success rate when it comes to implanting iOS devices with spyware. The documents suggest that the NSA needs physical access to a device to install the spyware—something the agency has achieved by rerouting shipments of devices purchased online—but a remote version of the exploit is also in the works.

*** App Review: Backgammon NJ HD ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/app-review-backgammon-nj-hd/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> You get the opportunity to play people online, and you get to play one of the strongest apps, with excellent tutoring features.

*** It's Time To Challenge The Notion That There Is Only One Way To Speak English ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/dec/31/one-way-speak-english-standard-spoken-british-linguistics-chomsky>
Harry Ritchie, The Guardian