[MyAppleMenu] Dec 30, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 30 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Apple Signage Says New Flagship Brisbane, Australia Store Opening Soon ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/29/apple-signage-says-new-flagship-brisbane-australia-store-opening-soon/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Products Apple Doesn’t Have Time To Improve ***
<http://www.marco.org/2013/12/29/apple-doesnt-have-time>
Marco Arment

> I’d be perfectly happy if Apple never made a TV or a watch or a unicorn, and instead devoted the next five years to polishing the software and services for their existing product lines.

*** Why MacPaint's Original Canvas Was 416 Pixels Wide ***
<http://www.looksgoodworkswell.com/elegance-of-macpaint-code/>
Bill Scott, Looks Good, Works Well

> The drawing area is evenly divisible by 13 long words (13x32=416). This is exactly the number of registers that were available in the loop above for the MOVEM.L operation (It appears it could have used 14 registers, but I am guessing the extra 32 pixels would have made the drawing area more cramped by reducing the gray whitespace.)

*** Google Launches New Google+ Auto-backup Utility For Mac With Latest Picasa Update ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/29/google-launches-new-google-auto-backup-utility-for-mac-with-latest-picasa-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Made In The U.S.A. ***
<http://harvardmagazine.com/2014/01/made-in-the-u-s-a>
Adam Kirsch, Harvard Magazine

> Almost as soon as the concept of the Great American Novel was invented, in the nation-building years after the Civil War, Buell finds it being mocked, noting that one observer dryly put it into the same category as “other great American things such as the great American sewing-machine, the great American public school, and the great American sleeping-car.” It was enough of a cliché by 1880 for Henry James to refer to it with the acronym “GAN,” which Buell employs throughout his book.

*** First Husband ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2014/01/06/140106fi_fiction_nelson>
Antonya Nelson, New Yorker

*** The Birds ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2014/01/06/140106crbo_books_rosen>
Jonathan Rosen, New Yorker

> Why the passenger pigeon became extinct.

*** Look Back With Angst ***
<http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21591853-century-there-are-uncomfortable-parallels-era-led-outbreak>
The Economist