[MyAppleMenu] Dec 16, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 16 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** My “Doom” 20Th Anniversary Stories ***
<http://blog.wilshipley.com/2013/12/my-doom-20th-anniversary-stories.html>
Wil Shipley, Call Me Fishmeal

> The way I got into the software business (besides learning to code) was to use every piece of software I could find and send the developers tons and tons of notes and bug reports. It turns out developers liked this, and it gained me a lot of opportunities. One of them was porting Doom and Quake to NEXTSTEP.

*** Google Will Not Answer To British Court Over UK Privacy Claim ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/15/google-privacy-claim-uk-british-court-california>
Josh Halliday, The Guardian

> Google has been called "arrogant and immoral" for arguing that a privacy claim brought by internet users in the UK should not be heard by the British legal system.

> The search giant will tell the high court on Monday that it should throw out claims that it secretly tracked the browsing habits of millions of iPhone users.

*** Yahoo Weather Goes Universal: Flickr-Enhanced Forecasts Now Optimized For iPad ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/yahoo-weather-goes-universal-gorgeous-flickr-enhanced-forecasts-now-optimized-for-ipad>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Kicks Off “12 Days Of Gifts” Early With A Free Single From Lorde ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/15/apple-kicks-off-12-days-of-gifts-early-with-a-free-single-from-lorde/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Thoughts On ‘Button Shapes’ In iOS 7.1 Beta 2 ***
<http://stevensblog.org/thoughts-on-button-shapes/>
Steven Aquino

> It’s perfectly valid to wince at and decry the visual design of the new buttons, but make no mistake, the addition of this feature is a tremendous improvement for visually handicapped users such as myself.

I sure hope Jony Ive and his team learn from all these missteps.

*** Book Review: ‘Big Book Of Christmas Mysteries’ Offers Yuletide Fun And Crime ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-big-book-of-christmas-mysteries-offers-yuletide-fun-and-crime/2013/12/15/4235a956-60e3-11e3-94ad-004fefa61ee6_story.html>
Patrick Anderson, Washington Post

> Vicious crime at Christmastime?

> Murder most foul as kiddies sing and sleigh bells ring?

> Poison in the punch? Cyanide in the pudding?

> Ye gods, what unspeakable horror!

*** Deadbeat Governments ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2013/12/23/131223ta_talk_surowiecki>
James Surowiecki, New Yorker

> How did states and cities get into this jam? By following Mark Twain’s famous dictum: Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

*** Patrick Kavanagh's Advent: Unifying The Miraculous With The Banal ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/dec/16/patrick-kavanagh-advent-christmas-poem>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian