[MyAppleMenu] Dec 15, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 15 18:59:01 EST 2013

*** Hear How Witnessing A Cross-Burning As A Child Motivated Apple CEO Tim Cook To Fight For Equality ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20131214/hear-how-witnessing-a-cross-burning-as-a-child-motivated-apple-ceo-tim-cook-to-fight-for-equality-video/>
Ina Fried, All Things D

> “I have long believed in this, and Apple has implemented protections for employees, even when the laws did not,” he said. “Now is the time to write these principles of basic human dignity into the book of law.”

*** Best Twitter Apps For Mac: Tweetbot, Twitter For Mac, Echofon, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-twitter-apps-mac-tweetbot-twitter-mac-echofon-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> If you want a tailored Twitter experience with keyboard shortcuts, multiple columns, multiple simultaneous accounts, and much, much, more, you want a Twitter app. Luckily, there are a bunch available in the Mac App Store.

*** iTunes Radio Vs Spotify Free: Which Free Mobile Music Service Is Best? ***
<http://www.imore.com/itunes-radio-vs-spotify-free-which-free-mobile-music-service-best>
Richard devine, iMore

> Spotify has been in this space a lot longer, and as such has built up a great catalog and a great network of supported countries. It doesn't provide the full Spotify experience, but without handing over your money this is plenty close enough.

*** How To Remotely Wake A Mac From Sleep With Wake On LAN From iPhone ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/12/14/wake-on-lan-mac-iphone/>
OS X Daily

> The result is basically the total opposite of the remote sleep tricks we’ve covered before, and instead of remotely sleeping a machine, you can remotely wake it instead, having the Mac ready for general network access or just quicker use.

*** How I Introduced A 27-Year-old Computer To The Web ***
<http://www.keacher.com/1216/how-i-introduced-a-27-year-old-computer-to-the-web/>
Keacher.com

> Reviving an old computer is like restoring a classic car: there’s a thrill from bringing the ancient into the modern world. So it was with my first “real” computer, my Mac Plus, when I decided to bring it forward three decades and introduce it to the modern web.

*** Apple Can’t Ban “Rate This App” Dialogs ***
<http://www.marco.org/2013/12/14/rate-this-app>
Marco Arment

> Once an app is in the wild, there’s no good way for Apple to be reliably notified of violations, and even if they added one, the line between permissible and prohibited would be vague and easy to skirt.

*** Where Should Richard III Lie? ***
<https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/battle-over-the-burial-richard-iii-become-savage/#.Uq0dFpFKNlI>
Sam Knight, Prospect

> The battle over the burial of King Richard III has become savage.

*** Talk Of The Town: 'My Mistake: A Memoir,' By Daniel Menaker ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/books/review/my-mistake-a-memoir-by-daniel-menaker.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Meryl Gordon, New York Times

> Daniel Menaker loves words, and you can see it in every clause, in the rhythms of his language, even in the length of the sentences in his bracing memoir, “My Mistake.” A veteran editor at The New Yorker and Random House, an insider who has always felt like an outsider, he was jolted by lung cancer several years ago into re-­examining his past. He grabs the reader with urgency as he grapples with big questions: What shaped me? Where did I go right and wrong? What has my life meant? His clever, fast-paced prose makes you stop and think and wonder, meandering down your own byways, contemplating the ways his story ­reverberates.

*** The Privacy Of Typewriters ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/gallery/2013/dec/13/privacy-typewriters/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Les Murray, The New York Review Of Books