[MyAppleMenu] Aug 29, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 29 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Readmill Update Introduces Reviews And Highlights, Gets Rid Of DRM Complication ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/readmill-update-introduces-reviews-and-highlights-gets-rid-of-drm-complication>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Boss Blocker For Mac Lets You Hide Open Apps, Windows, More ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/08/29/boss-blocker-for-mac-lets-you-hide-open-apps-windows-more/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

> It extends a computer’s capabilities by performing multiple actions simultaneously with a customizable keyboard shortcut.

*** Tower Defense Goes Medieval In Age Of Thrones: Available Now For iPhone ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/tower-defense-goes-medieval-in-age-of-thrones-available-now-for-iphone>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** GraphicConverter 8.8 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14058?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Lemkesoft has released GraphicConverter 8.8 with a plethora of new features and improvements, including support for XMP (Extensible Metadata Platform) face tags, the capability to create a new image with URL from the Clipboard, and support for exporting a TIFF file with ZIP compression.

*** Yahoo Adds Customizable Filters And Pro Editing Tools To Flickr For iOS ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/29/4671176/flickr-ios-app-update-filters-editing-tools>
Vlad Savov, The Verge

> The Flickr app for iPhone now includes an even wider array of filters, all of which can be applied and previewed before capturing a photo. Yahoo's calling them live filters and they're part of an enhanced set of camera tools, which include grid overlays, pinch-to-zoom, and exposure and focus locks.

*** Mention (for iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423740,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> Mention actively searches the Web and social media sites for key terms you choose, with advanced search criteria available, and in multiple languages.

*** How Apple Does Sentimental Consumerism ***
<http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/sentimental-consumerism-the-apple-way-65198/>
Nicki Lisa Cole, Pacific Standard

> Apple product users are living in the moment, soaking up all the sentimental experiences of pleasure, love, satisfaction, and jubilation that the brand promises, and that the products appear to deliver upon. This promise is what sells Apple products.

*** Enable The Hidden "Keep Both" Button When Copying Files In OS X ***
<http://lifehacker.com/enable-the-hidden-keep-both-button-when-copying-files-1216384700>
Lifehacker

*** Prevent Keyboard Layout Changes From Locking You Out Of Your Mac ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57600480-263/prevent-keyboard-layout-changes-from-locking-you-out-of-your-mac/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you use multiple input layouts with your Mac, use screensaver passwords with caution.

*** 10 Apps To Throw The Perfect Party ***
<http://mashable.com/2013/08/28/party-apps/?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner>
Sarah Ang, Mashable

*** Is There Life After Mail For Mac Users? Yes. It’s Called Airmail ***
<http://teratalks.com/2013/08/is-there-life-after-mail-for-mac-users-yes-its-called-airmail/>
Tera Thomas O'Brien, Tera Talks

> It simply feels thinner and lighter and more approachable than Apple’s Mail.

*** 'Minecraft In 2-D' Action Adventure Game Terraria Breaks New Ground On iOS ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/minecraft-in-2-d-action-adventure-game-terraria-breaks-new-ground-on-ios>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Commonly described as basically Minecraft in 2-D, Terraria is a side-scrolling action-adventure game that has you doing some exploring, crafting, constructing, and combating through randomly generated 2-D environments.

*** Apple Confirms AlgoTrim Acquisition ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130828/apple-confirms-algotrim-acquisition/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> AlgoTrim develops data-compression technology that simultaneously shortens processing times and reduces file size — just the sort of thing for optimizing mobile imaging and video.

*** TicToc Review: A Tracker For When Time Is Money ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046326/tictoc-review-a-tracker-for-when-time-is-money.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> Whether you’re a professional that charges its clients by the hour, or are simply trying to make sense of where your days are going, TicToc is a great little utility that helps you keep track of the amount of time you dedicate to your tasks.

*** Unpatched Mac Bug Gives Attackers “Super User” Status By Going Back In Time ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/unpatched-mac-bug-gives-attackers-super-user-status-by-going-back-in-time/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> Researchers have made it easier to exploit a five-month-old security flaw that allows penetration testers and less-ethical hackers to gain nearly unfettered "root" access to Macs over which they already have limited control.

*** Blackbar: A Fascinating Word/puzzle Game And Cautionary Tale ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/28/blackbar-a-fascinating-word-puzzle-game-and-cautionary-tale/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> Blackbar is a sobering reminder of the ever-present possibility of a police state, and it's also great entertainment.

*** Charge Your iPhone On Your Bike Commute With The Ecoxpower ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/08/28/charge-iphone-bike-commute-ecoxpower/>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

*** Apple Store's New Design Preserves Fountain ***
<http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/article/Apple-Store-s-new-design-preserves-fountain-4762776.php>
John King, San Franciso Chronicle

> Apple has presented city officials with a revised design for the flagship store it wants to build across from Union Square at Post and Stockton streets. And where the initial proposal in May consigned the fountain to an unknown fate, it now will stand amid steps leading up to a plaza between the back of the Apple Store and the side of the Grand Hyatt San Francisco.

*** Gmail For iOS Updated With Improved Drive Integration And Attachment Viewing ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/28/gmail-for-ios-updated-with-improved-drive-integration-and-attach/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

*** How To Block All Incoming Network Connections In Mac OS X ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/28/block-all-incoming-network-connections-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

*** Best Streaming Video Apps For iPhone And iPad (U.S.): Netflix, Amazon Instant, Air Video, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-streaming-video-apps-iphone-and-ipad-us-netflix-amazon-instant-air-video-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Judge To Install External Antitrust Monitor At Apple ***
<http://www.imore.com/judge-install-external-antitrust-monitor-apple>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Though her final ruling is expected to be narrower than what the Justice Department desires, Judge Denise Cote said a third-party supervisor will be installed to prevent further violation of antitrust laws.

*** Half An Apple: Developer Creates Tiny, Working Version Of Original Macintosh ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/28/4667622/developer-creates-working-version-of-shrunken-macintosh>
Nathan Ingraham, The Verge

> Using Sintra foamboard and a Raspberry Pi, Leake has successfully created a working scale model of the original Mac that's one-third the size of the original.

*** Twitter Update Makes It Easier To Follow Conversations ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/twitter-update-makes-it-easier-to-follow-conversations>
Bent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Apple Adds Chat Support To AppleCare Web Site ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14052?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Apple has streamlined its AppleCare Web site, (finally) adding a chat support option for when you just have a quick question and don’t want to pick up the phone or drive to the nearest Apple Store.

*** 55% Of U.S. iOS Users With Google Maps Use It weekly ***
<http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/story/55-us-ios-users-google-maps-use-it-weekly/2013-08-27>
Mike Dano, FierceMobileContent

*** How Podcasts Conquered Comedy ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/08/how-podcasts-conquered-comedy.html>
Cameron Tung, New Yorker

> Comedy series crowd the list of iTunes’s top podcasts at any given time, and everyone from an eighteen-year-old aspiring comic producing shows out of his college dorm room to the most élite standups in New York and Los Angeles are exploring their potential.

*** Defining The Masses ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article08281301.aspx>
James Polchin, The Smart Set

> How do we speak objectively about something of which we’re a part? By documenting everything.

*** Look Within ***
<http://the-magazine.org/24/look-within#.Uh7PZhbXct8>
Lisa Schmeiser, The Magazine