[MyAppleMenu] Aug 25, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 25 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Six iPad Magazines That Are Changing The Publishing Business ***
<http://www.fastcolabs.com/3016078/six-ipad-magazines-that-are-changing-the-publishing-business>
John Paul Titlow, Fast Company

> The field is still being defined, but the best ones out there today merge the design sensibilities of print with the openness and interactivity of the web. The further that print-first publishers can think outside their legacy paradigms, the better served their tablet-bound readers will be.

*** No More Nagging: 5 Apps For Sharing Tasks At Home ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/08/24/no-more-nagging-5-apps-for-sharing-tasks-at-home/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29>
Ki Mae Heussner, GigaOM

> Looking for a way to split tasks with your spouse or partner? Here are a few apps that could help manage your joint to-do lists (and maybe even your relationship).

*** Reward Summit For iOS Helps You Choose What Credit Card To Use To Maximize Points And Rewards ***
<http://www.imore.com/reward-summit-ios-helps-you-choose-what-credit-card-use-maximize-points-and-rewards>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> Reward Summit keeps up with what offers each card carries with it and then uses the merchants you select to give you options as to what kind of rewards you can earn. It recommends to you what card you should use based on the benefits attached to each.

*** How-to: Setup And Use Dropbox To Manage And Share Photos, Files ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/24/how-to-setup-and-use-dropbox-to-managesync-your-files-across-devices/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Sarah Guarino, 9 To 5 Mac

*** There Be Dragons: 'Of Dice And Men' Explores The Story Of D&D ***
<http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-david-ewalt-20130825,0,780696.story>
Douglas Wolk, Los Angeles Times

> When Arneson and Gygax joined forces, they devised "Dungeons & Dragons," first published in early 1974. The rules in the three booklets that made up the game's first edition were badly written, confusing and amateurishly illustrated. It didn't matter.

*** Arise, Ye Wretched! ***
<http://spectator.org/archives/2013/08/22/arise-ye-wretched>
Matthew Walther, The American Spectator

> Negative criticism is as fun to write as it is to read, but most reviewers end up sinking their fangs into only one or two really bad books per publishing season. This is probably a good thing: vitriol, like vegetables, is no good canned, as it tends to be when it appears with any real frequency in the books sections of newspapers and magazines. Still, it’s undeniably the case that a lot of us—not just professional reviewers but unpaid readers of taste—enjoy reading bad writing.

*** Let Me Tell You A Storey About How We Built A Book… ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/aug/25/buildings-of-books-matteo-pericoli>
Matteo Pericoli, The Guardian