[MyAppleMenu] Apr 23, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Apr 23 18:59:00 EDT 2013

**** Typography For All: Demystifying Text For High-impact Messages ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2033779/typography-for-all-demystifying-text-for-high-impact-messages.html#tk.rss_all>
Lesa Snider, Macworld

> Text is incredibly powerful—whether you’re making a business card or a garage-sale sign, you’re sending a message. The look of that message influences the way the receiver reacts: If the message is visually pleasing, the reaction is generally positive, but if the text is hard to read, that feeling of difficulty transfers back to you, the messenger. Here we’ll cover the basics of everyday typography, font pairings that are pleasing to the eye, practical formatting tips that work with a variety of software, and common mistakes to avoid.

**** Apple Opening Two New Australian Stores, In Melbourne And Adelaide ****
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/23/apple-opening-two-new-australian-stores-in-melbourne-and-adelaide/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

**** Apple Reportedly Restricting Use Of Special Characters In App Descriptions ****
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/22/apple-reportedly-restricting-special-characters-in-app-descriptions>
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

> In a reported change to its iTunes Connect developer portal, Apple recently deprecated the use of special emoji-type characters for app descriptions, limiting app makers to standard text for submitted updates.

**** Yahoo! Unveils Brand New iOS App, Including Built-In Summly Summaries ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/22/yahoo-unveils-brand-new-ios-app-including-built-in-summ-ly-summaries/>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

**** How To Check Bluetooth Connection Strength In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57580295-263/how-to-check-bluetooth-connection-strength-in-os-x/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If your Bluetooth devices are not maintaining proper connections, then poor signal strength may be to blame.

**** Timebar: Turn Your Menu Bar Into A Countdown Timer ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/04/22/timebar-turn-your-menu-bar-into-a-countdown-timer/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

> You pull down the menu, set a stop time and an optional audio alert. Click "Start" and boom, the menu bar at the top of your screen transforms into a progress bar. A blue line moves from right to left, providing a visual indicator of the time remaining.

**** Twitterrific 5.2.1 Released, Adds Favstar Support, Twitter Trends ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/04/22/twitterrific-5-2-1-released-adds-favstar-support-twitter-trends/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

**** iPhone 4 Owners Begin Receiving Their $15 ‘Antennagate’ Settlement Checks From Apple ****
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/22/iphone-4-owners-begin-receiving-their-15-antennagate-settlement-checks-from-apple/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Dan Desilva, 9 To 5 Mac

**** Review: PaintCode Excels At Transforming Vector Images Into Code ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2034142/review-paintcode-excels-at-transforming-vector-images-into-code.html>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

**** Fact Or Fiction: Eight Mac Energy-saving Techniques Tested ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2035493/fact-or-fiction-eight-mac-energy-saving-techniques-tested.html>
James Galbraith, Macworld

**** Move Notes And Highlights From iBooks To Evernote Or PDF With Digested For Mac ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/04/22/move-notes-and-highlights-from-ibooks-to-evernote-or-pdf-with-digested-for-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Kaylie Moise, Macgasm

**** New iTunes Option Allows Users To Download Large Content Later ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/04/new-itunes-option-allows-users-to-download-large-content-later>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

> A new option in both the iOS and Mac/PC version of iTunes will allow a user to purchase some types of large content and then download it at a later time.

> According to Apple, the option is available for TV seasons, season passes, movie bundles, music box sets, individual movies, and TV episodes.

**** Creatures Of Coherence: Why We’re So Obsessed With Causation ****
<http://www.psmag.com/science/creatures-of-coherence-why-were-so-obsessed-with-causation-55801/>
Ross Pomeroy, Pacific Standard

> We default to cause-and-effect thinking because we want to maintain control over our lives, but some things just don’t have clear answers.

**** Seeing Stars ****
<http://harvardmagazine.com/2013/05/seeing-stars?src=longreads>
John S. Rosenberg, Harvard Magazine