[MyAppleMenu] Sep 29, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 29 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Demand For Apple's iPhone 5 Lights Up China's Online Market ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/27/us-taobao-iphone-idUSBRE88Q1QK20120927>
Melanie Lee, Reuters

> Chinese gadget fans are scouring the Internet grey market to locate Apple Inc's new iPhone 5, giving an early indication of robust demand in Apple's second-biggest global market.

**** How To Choose An Apple Maps Alternative ****
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2012/09/29/how-to-choose-an-apple-maps-alternative/1602289/>
Rob Pegoraro, USA Today

**** VirtualBox ****
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410322,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K0000530&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag+%28PCMag.com%3A+New+Product+Reviews%29>
Samara Lynn, PC Magazine

> There are two main benefits to using VirtualBox as a desktop virtualization solution. First, it's free. Second, it works.

**** A Simple Market-based Solution To Apple Maps Vs. Google Maps ****
<http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/doc/2012/09/28/a-simple-market-based-solution-to-apple-maps-vs-google-maps/>
Doc Searls Weblog

> Data wants to be free, but value wants to be paid for. Let us pay. We’re the damed market. Let us help you work out the kinks in your products. Develop real relationships with us, and provide real customer support that’s worth what we pay for it.

**** Facebook Messenger For iPhone Goes 2.0, Includes iPhone 5 Support ****
<http://www.imore.com/facebook-messenger-iphone-goes-20-includes-iphone-5-support>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

**** Examining Maps In The Wake Of Tim Cook’s Apology ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13301?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Even more troubling for some people was the loss of saved locations without warning of any sort — one of our readers was particularly distraught to lose numerous saved locations of sentimental places in her life, built up in Maps over time since her first iPhone.

**** Bugs & Fixes: Troubleshooting iOS 6 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010812/bugs-and-fixes-troubleshooting-ios-6.html>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** The iPhone 5′S Low Light Boost Mode ****
<http://blog.crushapps.com/2012/09/the-iphone-5s-low-light-boost-mode/>
Jim Rhoades, Crush Apps

> They chose to make the low light boost mode optional, as the increase in light sensitivity comes at the cost of some increased noise (not surprisingly). Making it optional was a good decision.

**** Solving iOS 6 Battery Drain Problems ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13303?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> The solution once again was to delete corrupt Safari bookmarks, but what’s easy on a Mac is often difficult or even impossible in iOS. I’ll share my unsuccessful intermediate attempts, and if you’re experiencing similar battery life problems, I encourage you to try the less-destructive approaches before taking the eventual tack I did.

**** California Universities To Produce 50 Open-source Textbooks ****
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/09/california-universities-to-produce-50-open-source-textbooks/>
Timothy B. Lee, Ars Technica

**** Does Economic Growth Make You Happy? ****
<http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1134249.ece>
Robert Skidelsky, The Times Literary Supplement

> Turner’s conclusion echoes his oft-quoted remark that a large part of financial activity is “socially useless”.

**** Save Us ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/books/review/the-book-of-mischief-by-steve-stern.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nathaniel Rich, New York Times

> Stern’s trick is to translate these stories into a modern context.

**** Let's Start The Foodie Backlash ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/28/lets-start-foodie-backlash?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Steve Poole, The Guardian

> Western industrial civilisation is eating itself stupid.

**** Ratatouille At Villanova ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/28/john-fuller-saturday-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
John Fuller, The Guardian

**** Improvements To Train Service Reliability In The Last Three Months? ****
<http://failrailsg.appspot.com/train-faults-halved.html>
Failrail.sg

> Contrary to SMRT's glowing report that train faults have been halved on the North-South-East-West lines (NSEWL), our data shows that there has not been any significant reduction in the number of service disruptions nor delay hours over the same period (June - August 2012).

**** The PAP Reality: Political Commitment And Consensus ****
<http://theway2pjtl.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/the-pap-reality-political-commitment-and-consensus/>
The Way To Piji Tilai

> The reality of the PAP is that they prefer the old way of consensus in the past 50 years. However, they are short of the political will and commitment as before. Hence, they do not have the necessary fighting spirit to gain back the consensus that they have lost.

**** The Divisive, Intolerant And Quarrelsome Phase ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/9/29/columnists/insightdownsouth/12094981&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> What has emerged is a new brand of Internet politics in which words like consensus and compliance are becoming outdated, replaced by an unending stream of debates and arguments.

**** SMRT Bus Drivers Can Return To 5-Day Week - Without Pay Rise ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/smrt-bus-drivers-can-return-5-day-week-without-pay-rise-20120929>
Janice Heng, Straits Times

> SMRT bus drivers unhappy with the company's move to a six-day work week can return to a five-day schedule - if they give up the rise in their basic pay.

> Responding to Straits Times' queries on Friday night, the National Transport Workers' Union (NTWU) said this option was made known to the drivers when the move was announced in May.

I don't recall any media reports nor clarifications from SMRT and the union that the bus drivers were given this choice back in May.

**** Train Faults On NS, EW Lines Reduced In Last 3 Months ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/train-faults-ns-ew-lines-reduced-last-3-months-20120928>
Royston Sim, Straits Times

> In a statement on Friday, a Joint Team formed by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SMRT said an average of 40 trains were withdrawn from service each month from June to August, compared to 80 withdrawals in May.

Okay, now let's try to reduce the number of passengers per train.

**** No Warnings Issued To HOME, Says Ministry ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120929-0000044/No-warnings-issued-to-HOME,-says-ministry>
Today

> The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has refuted the allegation that it had warned the Humanitarian Organization for Migration Economics (HOME) over the group's efforts in assisting some Chinese workers in a wage dispute with their employer, Panasonic.

> The MOM was responding to a Facebook post dated Sept 23 by HOME Executive Director Jolovan Wham, where Mr Wham said HOME had been told it would be held responsible if the workers were to go on strike.

**** 700,000 More To 6 Million People ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/09/700000-more-to-6-million-people.html>
Blogging For Myself