[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 28 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Review: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Offers An Easy, Fast, And Simple Take On Video Editing ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2010628/review-adobe-premiere-elements-11-offers-an-easy-fast-and-simple-take-on-video-editing.html>
Mike Curtis, TechHive

> Adobe Premiere Elements 11 is squarely aimed at the upgrading iMovie user who isn’t yet ready for Final Cut Pro X.

**** Review: Things 2.0 Makes Managing To-do Lists Manageable ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010524/review-things-2-0-makes-managing-to-do-lists-manageable.html>
Stuart Gripman, Macworld

> Things 2.0 excels at managing to-do lists. It offers just enough methods to group and categorize your tasks without becoming needlessly complicated. As list managers go it isn't cheap, but its organizational prowess makes it a good investment for anyone with a lot to do.

**** Review: Parallels Desktop 8 Vs. VMware Fusion 5 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010694/review-parallels-desktop-8-vs-vmware-fusion-5.html>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> Given the similarities in features and performance between these two programs, deciding on one or the other isn’t easy. If your needs include gaming in virtual Windows installations, Parallels is the preferred option. Similarly, Fusion is the one to get if you love experimenting with lots of different virtual OSes, thanks to VMware’s huge library of ready-to-run OS “appliances.”

> Beyond that, it comes down to some little things. Fusion, for instance, manages app windows better than Parallels, while Parallels offers better gaming and 3D performance.

**** Apple CEO Tim Cook Apologizes For iOS 6 Maps, Promises Improvements ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/apple-ceo-tim-cook-apologizes-for-ios-6-maps-promises-improvements/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> "While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app."

**** Regarding Passbook ****
<http://www.imore.com/regarding-passbook>
Rene Ritchie, IMore

> If Apple had gone with the Winnie the Pooh model from iBooks, they could have pre-populated Passbook with an Apple Store card. Some have suggested including a nominal amount of credit on it, since it would be returned to the Apple Store anyway. But even absent an existing balance, it could have been used to show how Passbook works, how money could be added to the card using a great app like the Apple Store app, and a great transactional service like iTunes. It could have provided users with an excellent first Passbook experience and excellent first impression. Even if other Passbook feeder apps were abysmal, that experience would have balanced the scales.

Speaking of NewsStand, it's time for Apple to open it up to other kinds of apps. Apps like RSS readers, read-it-later services, and, perhaps, even YouTube and Netflix. I would like to wake up each morning to an iPhone full of content.

**** Parallels Desktop 8 For Mac ****
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410292,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K0000530&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag+%28PCMag.com%3A+New+Product+Reviews%29>
Samara Lynn, PC Magazine

**** Use The Calculator To Reveal A Mac's Firmware Password ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57521667-263/use-the-calculator-to-reveal-a-macs-firmware-password/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> In Mac systems prior to 2011, you can uncover the Mac's firmware password using the Calculator's ability to manipulate binary numbers.

**** Google's "iLost" Motorola Ad Faked An Address To "Lose" iOS 6 Maps ****
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/27/googles-ilost-motorola-ad-faked-an-address-to-lose-ios-6-maps?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

> A public park sits on that side of the street, making none of the block's odd numbers a valid address. The number will never be a valid address in Manhattan.

Google's Motorola could have easily gotten the same point across in its ad <i>without</i> having to fake anything.

**** Review: Dragon Dictate 3 Sharpens Speech Recognition, Learns Transcription ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010624/review-dragon-dictate-3-sharpens-speech-recognition-learns-transcription.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> Version 3 of Dragon Dictate does offers improved recognition out of the box, which allows new users to start appreciating the program’s power right away. And transcription is a feature many users have wanted since Dragon Dictate’s first Mac version.

**** Camera+ For iPhone Updated For iOS 6 And iPhone 5, Camera+ For iPad Now Available ****
<http://www.imore.com/camera-plus-iphone-updated-ipad-version-now-available>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

**** Rovio Extends Angry Birds Franchise With Bad Piggies ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2010660/rovio-extends-angry-birds-franchise-with-bad-piggies.html>
Ian Paul, TechHive

**** Mozilla Launches First Beta Version Of 'Persona' Website Authentication System ****
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010715/mozilla-launches-first-beta-version-of-persona-website-authentication-system.html>
Lucian Constantin, IDG News Service

**** Big Brother On A Budget: How Internet Surveillance Got So Cheap ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/big-brother-meets-big-data-the-next-wave-in-net-surveillance-tech/>
Sean Gallagher, Ars Technica

> Deep packet inspection, petabyte-scale analytics create a "CCTV for networks."

**** Ding Dong! Wireless Doorbell Informs You Of Visitors With A Text Message ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2010673/ding-dong-wireless-doorbell-informs-you-of-visitors-with-a-text-message.html>
Elizabeth Fish, TechHive

**** Paradox Of Hoaxes: How Errors Persist, Even When Corrected ****
<http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/opinion-errors-knowledge-crowdfixing/all/1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29>
Samuel Arbesman, Wired

> Not only were people spreading incorrect information, but the collective internet consciousness didn’t even recognize the return of the same error.

**** Haunts ****
<http://nymag.com/news/features/brooklyn-barclays-center-2012-10/?src=longreads/>
Mark Jacobson, New York Magazine

> What does the Brooklyn of the new Barclays Center have to do with the Brooklyns that came before it? A native son walks among the ghosts.

**** Singapore Educators Visit Lindale Middle School ****
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/blog/bs-md-ar-singapore-delegation-20120927,0,7698560.story>
Joe Burris, The Baltimore Sun

> Kros said people in the U.S. are often taken aback when they hear that a delegation from Singapore is coming for pointers on education.

> "They say, 'Why would they come here? They beat ... us in all testing,'" he said. "And it's because they're really good at their advanced-level kids and making education a priority in their country, but not as experienced with kids who don't do well in traditional settings."

**** Relying On Showcasing, It’s The PAP That Loses Track Of Reality ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/relying-on-showcasing-its-the-pap-that-loses-track-of-reality/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> If a carefully selected audience, loaded with party members, can produce an opinion that takes the prime minister by surprise, what does the poor man really know of what Singaporeans think?

**** Foreign Workers Up In Singapore Despite Tightening ****
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i_TOvuM7ABowxRO1xyPpd-Z8xK3g?docId=CNG.662ad87b617c6eb900f94b06d53027e6.571>
AFP

> The number of foreign workers in Singapore rose by about 100,000 as of the end of June this year from a year ago despite measures to slow their influx, government data released Friday showed.

**** The PAP Reality: Political Commitment And Consensus ****
<http://pijitailai.blogspot.sg/2012/09/the-pap-reality-political-commitment.html>
否极泰来 Piji Tailai

> Today’s PAP is a party without political commitment and fighting spirit. Life is too comfortable for their leaders and certain members and so when things are not smooth, they quit. When they cannot get consensus, they blame the critics.

**** Reframing The National Conversation ****
<http://ipscommons.sg/index.php/categories/featured/86-reframing-the-national-conversation>
Donald Low, IPSCommons

**** Singapore Population Grew 2.5% ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/singapore-population-grew-25>
Singapore Business Review

> Proportion of residents aged 65 and over now close to 10%.

**** The Empire Strikes Back ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/the-empire-strikes-back/>
Political Writings

**** Electricity Tariff To Drop By 2.9% ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1228500/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Jack Sim Flushes Penny Low Down The Loo ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/jack-sim-flushes-penny-low-down-the-loo/>
Kumaran Pillai, The Online Citizen

**** PM Lee: Consensus, Not The PAP, Is Bigger Question ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/pm-lee-consensus-not-the-pap-bigger-question-20120928>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

> If there is a consensus, then having one party with a strong mandate would be possible. If not, it might mean Singapore being mired in the sort of divisive politics that has held up lawmaking in the United States and India, said Mr Lee Hsien Loong.

**** SMRT Likely To Receive "Extraordinary Government Support": Fitch ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/transport-logistics/news/smrt-likely-receive-extraordinary-government-support-fitch>
Singapore Business Review

**** Defending Neutrality: Singapore's Position In The Pacific Rim Land Grab ****
<http://kementah.blogspot.sg/2012/09/defending-neutrality-singapores.html>
David Boey, Senang Diri

> The implications for Singapore's interests in contested waters and airspace are real and significant because our economy depends on free and unimpeded access to trade routes that ring the globe.

> In such a situation, our diplomats could be caught in a situation that would really test their mettle.

**** Will Jurong Lake District's Transport Infrastructure Be Upgraded? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120928-0000058/Will-Jurong-Lake-Districts-transport-infrastructure-be-upgraded?>
Shirlene Yeo, Today