[MyAppleMenu] Sep 21, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 21 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Alternatives To iOS 6'S Maps App ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/21/you-hate-apple-maps-now-what/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

**** Why Apple Maps Won’t Get Better Anytime Soon ****
<http://gizmodo.com/5945014/why-apple-maps-wont-get-better-anytime-soon>
Kyle Wagner, Gizmodo

> So the good news is that yes, Apple has stuck a load of time and money and effort into this thing. It's committed. The bad news? Apple has stuck a load of time and money and effort into this thing, and it's still pretty bad.

**** Apple Makes The Left Turn At Albuquerque ****
<http://tracks.ranea.org/post/31950479369/apple-makes-the-left-turn-at-albuquerque>
Coyote Tracks

> Yes, yes, you’re not going to stand around appreciating the finer details of the map application if the data is wrong. I get that. Pointing out that the vast majority of the data in the maps application is very clearly correct is small comfort if you need some of the data that’s wrong. But the vast majority of the data really is correct.

**** iOS 6 Features I Didn’t Know About ****
<http://blog.chadwickwill.com/post/31894540460/ios-6-features-i-didnt-know-about>
Blog.chadwickwill.com

**** Why Won’t Siri Tell Me The Temperature In Centigrade? ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/09/20/why-wont-siri-tell-me-the-temperature-in-centigrade/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** Apple Maps App Takes Reality Distortion To A Whole New Level ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120920/apple-maps-app-takes-reality-distortion-to-a-whole-new-level/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> Apple urged patience. “Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service,” spokeswoman Trudy Muller told AllThingsD. “We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover and Siri integration, and free turn by turn navigation. We launched this new map service knowing that it is a major initiative and we are just getting started with it. We are continuously improving it, and as Maps is a cloud-based solution, the more people use it, the better it will get."

> Now, there’s no question that Apple will improve Maps over time. Sources tell AllThingsD that the team assigned to the app is under lockdown right now working to fix it. But it’s unfortunate that it was ever released in this condition in the first place. Mapping applications are awfully hard to do well. Apple certainly knows this. And for a while, at least, it has a rough road ahead.

**** iOS 6 Maps Is Great, And It's Not ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010186/opinion-ios-6-maps-is-great-and-its-not.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> The new Maps is very good—provided you live in an area well-covered by the app’s data, with accurate information. It’s great if you crave turn-by-turn directions and don’t already own a GPS unit or a pricier App Store app for that purpose.

> But, as the tongue-in-cheek The Amazing iOS 6 Maps blog reflects, all of the Maps app’s benefits are so much hooey if the maps you need don’t accurately reflect reality.

**** With 10.8.2, Mountain Lion Saves Even Better ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13284?rss>
Mat Neuburg, TidBITS

> Apple could have restored the original behavior of Save As, plain and simple; instead, they went further, restoring that behavior while letting you switch to the new behavior instead. I can only applaud. This is exactly the sort of thing I’d like to see more of — excellent default behavior along with freedom of choice to override those defaults — in contrast to the “Big Brother knows best” quality that resulted in my reluctance to use Lion.

One little checkbox here, one little checkbox there, and soon, you'll have complexity.

**** Start Using Passbook Now With The Target App ****
<http://www.macstories.net/iphone/start-using-passbook-now-with-the-target-app/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Chris Herbert, MacStories

> Target has chosen to allow customers who receive Target Mobile Coupons to easily send, store, and access coupons in Passbook.

**** Do They Really Want The Church Involved In Politics? ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/do-they-really-want-church-involved-politics>
Gillian Koh, Straits Times

> While Singaporeans would probably not wish for their religious leaders or constituencies to be cribbed, cabined or confined in this manner with regard to influence on public matters, they would probably not want other groups to have the unfair advantage overthem either. For that reason, this is a generally accepted operating paradigm by all.

**** SAF Suspends Smoke Grenade Training ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/saf-suspends-smoke-grenade-training-.html>
Gail Chai, Yahoo!

**** Makciks Lament Ban On 'Buang Kulit' Service For Pineapples At Geylang Serai Market ****
<http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/what_bugs_me/1329054/no_more_peeling_pineapples_at_wet_market.html>
Straits Times

**** Grumbles Over Maps Fail To Dampen Apple iPhone 5 Fever ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/21/us-apple-iphone-idUSBRE88J1FQ20120921?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews>
Peter Schwartzstein And Tim Kelly, Reuters

**** S'pore Is What It Is Today Because Of Globalisation: Lee Kuan Yew ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1227352/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

> "But more than that, we learned how to create conditions which gave confidence to investors, and made living in Singapore safe for foreigners and their families."

**** Archbishop Will Not Release Exchange Of Letters With Function 8 ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1227305/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

**** What A Disappointment ****
<http://harishpillay.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/what-a-disappointment/>
Harish Pillay, Life One Degree North, One-o-three Degrees East

> This restriction of access will not help in quelling anything. If nothing else, the curiosity will be piqued by the mere act of restriction – the forbidden fruit syndrome. Do we need that?

**** Playing The Numbers Game ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/09/playing-numbers-game.html>
Singapore Notes

> What the key findings from the Ministry of Manpower-commissioned study don't say is that a big chunk is swallowed up by "subsidised" housing. It's nice to hear that a $200,000 flat has been sold for say, $800,000, but a similar size flat would probably be asking for a similar price. Unless the long term plan is to cash in the enhanced asset, and move to Johore, Batam or Bintang, the majority will still end up asset rich, cash poor.

**** Fans Queue Up For iPhone 5 ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120921-0000066/Fans-queue-up-for-iPhone-5>
Today

**** Reacting To Other Bloggers’ Tots ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/reacting-to-other-bloggers-tots/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

> In the bad old days, these two bloggers would be detained under the ISA for being too clever by half. But heck, PM’s different. So give him credit for not using the ISA, and for being willing to be generous with our money: spending it to make life more comfortable for ourselves. Teachers, and doctors and other healthcare professions should be happy with their pay rises. GE sooner than later?

**** It’s Just A Job ****
<http://desparatebeep.blogspot.sg/2012/09/its-just-job.html>
Desparatebeep

> It’s such a shame that many of us have this mental block when it comes to appreciating the value of work. A person is not defined by his job. A job can make a person and it can say a lot about a person. Some people are more ambitious than others. However, the worth of a person and job shouldn’t be defined by a monetary value. I think of the cab driver who can’t get a date.

**** Seeking Answers To Worrying Developments ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/seeking-answers-to-worrying-developments/>
Andrew Loh

> It is not good enough to parade once again the bogeyman of “social disharmony” as the reason for keeping quiet. Singaporeans deserve to know the truth. The former detainees deserve to know the truth.

> And the ones who should divulge and explain the events leading up to the Archbishop’s withdrawal of the first letter and now the issuance of the press release by the Archbishop are not, actually, the Archbishop or the church – but the government, particularly the Minister for Home Affairs.

**** Three statements from the government, Function 8 and Maruah on the archbishop affair ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/three-statements-from-the-government-function-8-and-maruah-on-the-archbishop-affair/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread