[MyAppleMenu] Sep 19, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 19 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** PhotoDirector 4 Arrives On The Mac ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168423/photodirector-4-arrives-on-the-mac.html>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> This newcomer offers a wide range of consumer and hobbyist-oriented features and special effects. The program's photo editing and management features are also designed to appeal to professional photographers. As a total workflow, it offers a spectrum of non-destructive adjustment tools and editing controls and a way to showcase photos.

**** iOS 6 Available For Download Starting At 1Pm ET ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/19/ios-6-available-for-download-starting-at-1pm-et/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

**** Apple, Four Publishers Bid To End EU Price-Fixing Probe ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-19/apple-four-publishers-bid-to-end-eu-price-fixing-probe>
Aoife White, Bloomberg

> Apple Inc., the world’s biggest technology company, and four publishers offered to avoid setting the retail price of e-books in Europe for five years to end a European Union antitrust probe over price-fixing for digital books.

**** 10000000 For iPad And iPhone Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/?reviewid=3381908&olo=rss>
Alec Meer, Macworld UK

> Weird dungeon puzzler is addictive. Also brilliant.

**** Adobe Unleashes Digital Publishing Suite Single Edition For Creative Cloud ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2009968/adobe-unleashes-digital-publishing-suite-single-edition-for-creative-cloud.html>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> With the DPS Single Edition, subscribers who create single-issue iPad apps can do so in volume for a deep discount.

**** The Apple Reaper ****
<http://coovtech.com/posts/the-apple-reaper/>
CoovTech

> Could you imagine, charging customers 30% to accept a payment? I thought it was a joke. I mean it seems obvious to me what my app does and that it does not apply to 11.2, but I’m biased.

**** Review: iPhone 5 ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/09/18/review-iphone-5/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> That has been my takeaway from the design of the iPhone 5 — small design changes that make for big user experience improvements.

**** iPhone 5 Review ****
<http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/apple-iphone-5-review/>
Tim Stevens, Engadget

> Pick your benchmark and you'll find Apple's thin new weapon sitting at or near the top.

**** The iPhone 5 ****
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/iphone_5>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> Impossible for me to say, after just six days testing a single unit, whether this improved home button is truly an improved design. For one thing, on a few of my iPhones over the years, the home button only got janky over time, after thousands of presses over many months in varied weather conditions. For another, surely Apple gives the review units it passes out a once-over. A less-than-perfect home button would be rejected. But color me optimistic — this home button has a pleasing clickiness that, like the aluminum casing, evokes that of the original iPhone, which I think had a better home button than its successors.

I'm <i>really</i> interested in whether the home button has been improved, because a not-so-good-home-button-anymore is exactly what my wife is experiencing right now.

**** Mac Gems: Fission 2 Is A Powerful But Easy-to-use Audio Editor ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2009992/mac-gems-fission-2-is-a-powerful-but-easy-to-use-audio-editor.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> ission is likely the only app you need to work with audio files, and it does the job easily and quickly.

**** Archiving In The Trash: The Instapaper UI ****
<http://www.virtualpants.com/post/31802630265/archiving-in-the-trash-the-instapaper-ui>
Virtual Pants

> So you’d like to save something forever. Would you throw it in the trash? Probably not. But Instapaper thinks that’s exactly where you should put it. Sometimes.

**** Apple's EarPods Built For Durability, But Audio Quality Is Questionable ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/apples-earpods-built-for-durability-but-audio-quality-is-questionable/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> The teardown experts at iFixit have given Apple's new $29 EarPods the typical autopsy treatment, declaring that "Apple had durability in mind" when designing the new headset. While the actual quality of the speakers remains up for debate, iFixit says Apple designed the EarPods to reduce strain on the wires and make them more resistant to water or sweat damage.

**** AccountEdge Pro 2012 A Business Standout, But Shows Its Age ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2009051/accountedge-pro-2012-a-business-standout-but-shows-its-age.html>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

**** Making Money In A Crowded App Store: It's Dog Eat Dog And Spy Vs Spy ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/04/making-money-in-a-crowded-app-store-its-dog-eat-dog-and-spy-vs/>
Richard Gaywood, TUAW

**** Red Hat: Linux On ARM Is No Joke ****
<http://www.serverwatch.com/server-trends/red-hat-linux-on-arm-is-no-joke.html>
Sean Michael Kerner, ServerWatch

**** All The TV News Since 2009, On One Web Site ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/business/media/internet-archive-amasses-all-tv-news-since-2009.html?_r=0>
Bill Carter, New York Times

> Or, as Mr. Kahle put it, “Let a thousand Jon Stewarts bloom.”

**** A Robot With A Reassuring Touch ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/science/a-robot-with-a-delicate-touch.html?pagewanted=all>
John Markoff, New York Times

> Baxter, the first product of Rethink Robotics, an ambitious start-up company in a revived manufacturing district here, is a significant bet that robots in the future will work directly with humans in the workplace.

**** Prismatic Takes On Twitter In The Race To Build A Better Serendipity Engine ****
<http://gigaom.com/2012/09/18/prismatic-takes-on-twitter-in-the-race-to-build-a-better-serendipity-engine/>
Mathew Ingram, GigaOM

**** The Inside Story Of A Controversial New Text About Jesus ****
<http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Inside-Story-of-the-Controversial-New-Text-About-Jesus-170177076.html?c=y&story=fullstory>
Ariel Sabar, Smithsonian Magazine

> According to a top religion scholar, this 1,600-year-old text fragment suggests that some early Christians believed Jesus was married—possibly to Mary Magdalene.

**** The Honor System ****
<http://www.esquire.com/features/teller-honor-system-1012?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Chris Jones, Esquire

> Stealing magic has become a commonplace crime. Teller, a man of infinite delicacy and deceit, decided to do something about it.

**** S'pore Govt Asks Google To Restrict Access To anti-Islam Film ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120919-0000137/Spore-Govt-asks-Google-to-restrict-access-to-anti-Islam-film>
Today

> "The Ministry of Home Affairs has informed us that the YouTube video clip "Innocence of Muslims" contains material that is contrary to the public interest and incites "religious hatred, strife or intolerance" and is therefore in breach of Singapore's laws," said the MDA. "In response, we have directed Google to restrict access to the video in Singapore."

**** No Special Invites To PAP, PA, Says CNA ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/no-special-invites-pap-pa-says-cna>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

> Replying to queries from Singapolitics, a spokesman from Mediacorp said: “No, we did not give PAP or the People’s Association a certain number of invites.”

> The brief reply did not explain, however, how it actually chose the participants for the forum.

**** Website Lifts The Lid On Singapore's Best And Worst Toilets ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/19/uk-singapore-toilets-idUSLNE88I00L20120919>
John O'Callaghan, Reuters

> Whether gleaming or gross, Singapore's public toilets face the scrub brush of scrutiny in an online map and feedback forum announced on Wednesday.

**** Group-buying Websites Dying Out In Singapore ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/telecom-internet/news/group-buying-websites-dying-out-in-singapore>
Singapore Business Review

> 74% have shut down in the past two years indicating lethal competitiveness.

> "This leaves only 19 companies competing for a slice of the market in Singapore," revealed Groupon, one of the remaining group-buying websites operating in the country, in a release sharing its insider insights to the group-buying industry.

**** Young Working S'poreans Will Have Enough CPF Savings By Retirement: MOM Study ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120919-0000110/Young-working-Sporeans-will-have-enough-CPF-savings-by-retirement--MOM-study>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Today

**** Seeking Answers ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/seeking-answers/>
Bertha Harian

> I think it’s time Mindef opens its books on past deaths.

**** Conversation? What Conversation? ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/conversation-what-conversation/>
Political Writings

**** Staggering Ignorance And Homophobia On Yahoo Comments ****
<http://www.visakanv.com/blog/2012/09/staggering-ignorance-and-homophobia-on-yahoo-comments/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=staggering-ignorance-and-homophobia-on-yahoo-comments>
Visakan Veerasamy

**** Citizen Woon ****
<http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/09/18/citizen-woon/>
Farquhar, TR Emeritus

**** Stop Griping About The National Conversation ****
<http://www.voiddecker.com/2012/09/stop-griping-about-the-national-conversation/>
The Void Decker

**** Apple Store Opening Make Swedes Feel Awkward ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2012/09/18/apple-store-opening-make-swedes-feel-awkward/?mod=google_news_blog>
Sven Grundberg, Wall Street Journal

> The clapping and cheering of Apple Store retail employees caused a storm on social media in the northern country, with many likening the enthusiasm with that of a cult or sect.

**** Yelp Is Ready To Review The Singapore Sling With Asia Expansion ****
<http://community.nasdaq.com/News/2012-09/yelp-is-ready-to-review-the-singapore-sling-with-asia-expansion.aspx?storyid=174259>
NASDAQ

**** The Problem With The National Conversation: Information Asymmetries ****
<http://sudhirtv.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/the-problem-with-the-national-conversation-information-asymmetries/>
Sudhir Thomas Vadaketh, Musings From Singapore

> Simply, the government has all the data and information, and we, the people, are given only selective access to it. Whenever people talk about the “lack of information” or the need for a “freedom of information” act, it is difficult to grasp what precisely this means in practice, and why exactly we need it.

**** MRT Construction Was Not Expected To Affect Estate ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120919-0000010/MRT-construction-was-not-expected-to-affect-estate>
Wong Wei Han, Today

> No geological monitoring devices were set up in Watten Estate - and only fewer than two dozens were installed at the fringe - because the construction of the Tan Kah Kee MRT Station was not expected to affect the homes there based on initial calculations, Land Transport Authority (LTA) deputy chief executive Chua Chong Kheng told this newspaper yesterday.

> These devices, thousands of which were installed across the Bukit Timah Canal and opposite the estate where the new station will be sited, would have alerted the authorities and prevented the cracks that have appeared in the walls inside and outside of the houses in the private estate.

**** PAP Will Fail ’Cause “Always Behind The Curve” ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/pap-will-fail-cause-always-behind-the-curve/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor