[MyAppleMenu] Sep 5, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 5 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Editing Excel Files On An iPad ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168325/editing_excel_files_on_an_ipad.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> If you frequently use Excel to create and edit spreadsheets on your Mac, you may want to access the same files while you’re on the go with just your iPad. Although Microsoft hasn’t released an iOS version of Excel, you can still work with Excel files on your iPad if you’re willing to accept a few compromises.

**** Breaking Into The OS X Keychain ****
<http://juusosalonen.com/post/30923743427/breaking-into-the-os-x-keychain>
Juuso Salonen

> There is a design compromise in Apple’s keychain implementation that sacrifices some security for a lot of usability.

> As a result, the root user is able to read all keychain secrets of logged-in users, unless they take extra steps to protect themselves. I’m sure Apple is perfectly aware of the security implications, and made the bargain intentionally.

**** How A Bedroom Developer's 'Ugly Little Game' Became An App Store Hit ****
<http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/04/luca-redwood>
Owen Faraday, Wired.co.uk

> Dungeon-based puzzle app 10000000 (said "ten million") is an unlikely autobiographical game. So unlikely, in fact, the developer doesn't even realise how autobiographical it is.

**** Singapore Among Most Competitive Economies In Asia ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/09/05/singapore-among-most-competitive-economies-in-asia/>
Alex Frangos, Wall Street Journal

> The World Economic Forum’s global competitiveness ranking is the sort of thing presidents and prime ministers like to tout when they are on trade missions or selling government bonds to investors.

**** BBC iPlayer 2.0 Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/?reviewid=3379443&olo=rss>
Mark Hattersley, Macworld UK

> The new BBC iPlayer 2.0 app has just become a lot more useful. Especially for anybody going on a long-haul flight, who’ll find the pre-downloaded television shows on the iPad much more entertaining than the in-flight system.

**** Dragon Dictate 3 For Mac Gains Audio File Transcription, Improved Accuracy ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/dragon-dictate-3-for-mac-gains-audio-file-transcription-improved-accuracy/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> The company says Mac users can expect to see a 15 percent accuracy boost over Dictate 2.5 right out of the box—a number that could go up once you train the software to your user profile. The company has also added Smart Format Rules, which allows users to customize their use of abbreviations, numbers, and other formatting so that the dictated text comes out the way you want it to in the future. New in Dragon 3 is the ability to correct errors using speech as well, and the company says it's offering a wider range of alternative word choices when it comes to making corrections that the software will remember for future use cases.

And remember, unlike dictation in Mountain Lion, the speech recognition is all done locally on your Mac.

**** Apple V Samsung Foreman Gets More Things Wrong ****
<http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120904190933195>
Groklaw

**** Apple Device IDs Hacked: What You Need To Know ****
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/261876/apple_device_ids_hacked_what_you_need_to_know.html>
Tony Bradley, PCWorld

**** 5 ****
<http://www.asymco.com/2012/09/04/5/>
Horace Dediu, Asymco

> As brands imply meaning, the iPhone brand may imply that it’s a platform in and of itself.

Is the iPhone brand competing with the iOS brand?

**** Quick, Effective Reminders With Sticky Notifications ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/quick-effective-reminders-with-sticky-notifications/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> By integrating with a system-wide feature users are already accustomed to, and adding neat integrations like Automator and hotkey support, Sticky Notifications greatly simplifies the process of putting information on the desktop for later. And it has a lot of clever touches that, in spite of the app’s simplicity, show a profound attention to detail and care for optimal experience.

**** Postbox Offers A Serious Alternative To Apple's Mail App ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168356/postbox_offers_a_serious_alternative_to_apples_mail_app.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> Postbox 3 does add a few new interface touches, including a Favorites menu for frequently accessed folders, reminiscent of the similar feature in Apple Mail. But Postbox 3’s biggest draw is its close cooperation with Gmail and the Dropbox and Evernote services. Over IMAP or POP, the program recognizes Gmail labels and sorts your mail accordingly. It can use Gmail-style keyboard shortcuts, shuffle messages into your Gmail archive, and move detected dates within messages into your Google calendar(s).

**** Create Reminders When You Aren't In Reminders ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168410/create_reminders_when_you_arent_in_reminders.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Apple Announces Special Event For September 12 ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/09/04/apple-announces-special-event-for-september-12/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> It is widely expected that Apple will announce its next generation iPhone at the event.

**** Coming Soon: Artificial Limbs Controlled By Thoughts ****
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=artificial-limbs-controlled-by-thought>
Miguel A. L. Nicolelis, Scientific American

> The idea that paralyzed people might one day control their limbs just by thinking is no longer a Hollywood-style fantasy.

**** Why Hiring People Who Annoy You Helps You Innovate ****
<http://www.fastcompany.com/3000966/why-hiring-people-who-annoy-you-helps-you-innovate>
Douglas Merrill, Fast Company

> As long as you’re ensuring they are smart, the people who annoy you represent the diversity you and your company require.

**** Zoo Time By Howard Jacobson: Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/9509242/Zoo-Time-by-Howard-Jacobson-review.html>
Alexei Sayle, Telegraph

> You never know you are in a golden age until it’s no longer golden. Howard Jacobson’s new novel, <i>Zoo Time</i>, is set against the collapse of the world authors, publishers and agents have been familiar with for at least a century.

**** Will I Live Longer Than My Cat? ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19467491>
David Spiegelhalter, BBC

> Our cat is old. Old, deaf and a bit daft. But, as I steadily head that way myself, I've started to consider him as a role model.

**** Telegraph Avenue By Michael Chabon – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/05/telegraph-avenue-michael-chabon-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Attica Locke, The Guardian

> Michael Chabon's new novel skilfully challenges America's attitudes to race.

**** Letter To Singapore ****
<http://youdonthavetoagree.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/letter-to-singapore/>
Youdonthavetoagree

> I’m 20 years old and I don’t want to be jaded, but you’re already feeding me defeatism and banality as a lifestyle choice.

**** Local Farms Forced To Throw Away Unsold Eggs ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1224197/1/.html>
Jie Lan, Channel NewsAsia

> But recently, an excess supply of Malaysian eggs means more are being exported to Singapore. And local farms are finding it difficult to compete with the cheaper imports.

**** An Inside Look At Singapore, Through The Eyes Of Outsiders ****
<http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/lifeandtimes/an-inside-look-at-singapore-through-the-eyes-of-outsiders/541818>
Katrin Figge, The Jakarta Globe

> After more than a decade of living in the Lion City, Alvin said “understanding Singapore turned out to be like peeling an onion, as each layer of understanding begets another one.”

> His experience of living in Singapore is part of a new book called “Singapore: Insights From the Inside”, published by the Singapore International Foundation, which fosters intercultural exchange.

**** Govt Prepared To Give More Support To Offset Cost Of Worklife Balance Initiatives ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120905-0000151/Govt-prepared-to-give-more-support-to-offset-cost-of-worklife-balance-initiatives>
Imelda Saad Aziz, Today

> "If you have a market that's stagnating or is getting smaller, it's actually not good for business because your market is smaller, your business will shrink and your pool of labour also will shrink over time. So they have to see that in the context that it is important for us to also look at the future as an employer."

No business is going to think that long term. And, besides, who knows what this government is going to do in the long term -- maybe even import more people?

**** Public Trust In Politicians Highest In Singapore ****
<http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2012/09/public-trust-in-politicians-highest-in-singapore.html/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rana+%28pressrun.net%29>
Pressrun.net

**** Govt Can Give More Information On PR Criteria: Grace Fu ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1224155/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> "When it comes to application I think we prefer not to announce it because when we do that you are subjected to gaming. I've seen some systems, where it works on a point system... You can see that actually there are people who would then game it by getting the right qualification... That's not something that I think we should work towards," she said.

**** Put Free Preschool Education On The Agenda ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/759-free-preschool-education>
Elaine Ee, Publichouse.sg

> This would remove a huge source of stress for parents with young children, make it just that bit easier. And take Singapore one step closer to being a place where people want to have and raise children.

**** Turning National Conversation To Another Singapore GRC? ****
<http://pijitailai.blogspot.sg/2012/09/turning-national-conversation-to.html>
否极泰来 Piji Tailai

> Perhaps, like all other past exercises of the PAP government, a national consensus is just a simple majority, a GRC-type of consensus. Otherwise, a magician may be needed to carry out the job of a National ‘consensus’ Conversation.

**** Just A Gimmick: Singapore National Conversation ****
<http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/just-a-gimmick-singapore-national-conversation/>
SpotlightOnSingapore

> One of the values of the regime is that they decide what is right, never mind what the people think. This emanates from their core value of repression. Repressive laws must be dismantled if it is to regain the trust of the people.

**** Expensive Singapore? ****
<http://sparrowsandsandcastles.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/expensive-singapore/>
Sparrows And Sandcastles

> And then Singaporeans grumble they don’t earn enough money. And then Singaporeans gripe about how expensive Singapore is. And then Singaporeans complain they cannot save enough money to get married. Or have children. And then Singaporeans complain the foreigners are going to overpopulate our island. And then Singaporeans murmur how life is so stressful with all that competition.

> Really?

**** There’s Anti-Foreigner Sentiment In Singapore? Really? ****
<http://jakeneedham.com/2012/09/anti-foreigner-sentiment-in-singapore-really/>
Jake Needham

> Now don’t get me wrong here. I’m certainly not saying that Singaporeans hate foreigners. I <i>am</i> saying that Singaporeans are, on the whole, hypersensitive to anything they consider to be criticism from foreigners. Won’t have it at all, really.

> And now their own prime minister is saying they are becoming “nasty” in their overall attitude toward foreigners. If you’ve ever read some of the online forums in which Singaporeans feel free to express themselves because they’re largely anonymous, you’ll know exactly what the prime minister is talking about. The vitriol and invective aimed at foreigners — almost all of which is racial in nature — is pretty hardcore stuff.

**** Dear Mr President, Are You Joking? ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.sg/2012/09/dear-mr-president-are-you-joking.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

> Some Singaporeans may be excited by your excitement in watching the Olympics and being inducted into the Honourary Senate of the Foundation Lindau NobelPriceWinners Meetings but most will be more interested in how you are guarding the sovereign wealth of Singapore.

**** Singapore Cracks Down On Shoebox Homes ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443847404577630974280936612.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Chun Han Wong, Wall Street Journal

> "On density considerations alone, excessive 'small-format' flats can be detrimental to a neighborhood," said Steven Choo, a real-estate consultant at VestAsia Real Estate Advisory. "In terms of market impact, their high per-square-foot prices skew the picture, and their rental potentials are untested in non-central locations."

> Analysts say the move dovetails with the government's commitment to boosting Singapore's low birthrates, by ensuring the sufficient supply of larger homes that are more conducive to family living.

**** 胡锦涛会见新加坡总理李显龙 谈东盟一体化 ****
<http://news.ifeng.com/mainland/detail_2012_09/04/17334953_0.shtml>
新华网

**** Keep School Land Out Of Developers' Hands ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120905-0000051/Keep-school-land-out-of-developers-hands>
Serene Koh Siew Wan, Today

> If we want to heed the prime minister's call to build a Singapore that focuses more on heart and home, then urban planning and land use policy must consider factors other than revenue and monetary incentives.

**** Could Lemon Law Add To Costs? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120905-0000053/Could-lemon-law-add-to-costs?>
Vimita Mohandas, Today

**** Evaluating The SDP’s National Healthcare Plan ****