[MyAppleMenu] Oct 9, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 9 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Redefining Medicine With Apps And iPads ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/science/redefining-medicine-with-apps-and-ipads-the-digital-doctor.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Katie Hafner, New York Times

**** Review: ChronoSync 4.3.5 A Multitalented File Sync And Backup Tool ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011101/review-chronosync-4-3-5-a-multitalented-file-sync-and-backup-tool.html>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> With a bit of configuration, it can fill almost any synchronization or backup need, and the added capabilities of ChronoAgent make it that much more compelling. If you’re looking for a single app to handle synchronization and backup tasks, ChronoSync is an impressive choice.

**** Fifth-gen iPod Touch Benchmarks Surface As Devices Begin Shipping ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/fifth-gen-ipod-touch-benchmarks-surface-as-devices-begin-shipping/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> The fifth-generation iPod touch Apple introduced last month is powered by an A5 chip running at the same speed as last year's iPhone 4S, according to screenshots posted by Japanese Apple blog Macotakara. The site has posted early benchmarks of the device that show iPhone 4S-like performance.

**** New In iOS 6: How To Set Custom Notifications And Alerts For Each Mailbox ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/10/new-in-ios-6-how-to-set-custom-notifications-and-alerts-for-each-mailbox>
Dom Esposito, AppAdvice

**** Getting Started With Messages ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011400/getting-started-with-messages.html>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

**** How To Create A Ringtone On Your iPhone With GarageBand ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010514/how-to-create-a-ringtone-on-your-iphone-with-garageband.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** iStop Motion For Mac Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3403898&olo=rss>
Steve Paris, Macworld UK

> There’s a lot to like about the new iStopMotion for Mac and the drastic price drop, coupled with its support for using iOS devices as a camera mean that more people will be able to afford to get into this age-old art of stop motion animation and have a lot of fun doing so.

**** Got Mac? Need Drawing Tools? Can’t Afford Adobe Illustrator? What You Need Is EazyDraw ****
<http://noodlemac.com/2012/10/got-mac-need-drawing-tools-cant-afford-adobe-illustrator-what-you-need-is-eazydraw/>
Ron McElfresh, Noodlemac

**** Pogo Connect: The Best Pressure-sensitive Bluetooth 4 Stylus Yet ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/08/pogo-connect-the-best-pressure-sensitive-bluetooth-4-stylus-yet/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Average Wait Time For Mac App Store App Reviews Rising Significantly ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/08/average-wait-time-for-mac-app-store-app-reviews-rising-significantly/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

> Shiny Development's annual trend graph for Mac apps shows average review times of a few days to a week through approximately April 1 of this year, after which time the trend began a fairly steady rise. That rise has accelerated in recent weeks, with developer reports now indicating that their apps are spending an average of nearly a month in review.

**** How To Extract Voice And Text Messages From An iPhone ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011174/how-to-extract-voice-and-text-messages-from-an-iphone.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Brian Eno's New iPad App 'Scape' Lets You Build Intelligent, Reactive Ambient Music ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/3475456/brian-eno-scape-ipad-app-ambient-music-creation>
Nathan Ingraham, The Verge

> Composer and producer Brian Eno has pretty much done it all in his 40-plus year career, but one of his best-known musical traits are his incredibly minimalistic soundscapes. They're not for everyone, but those who love ambient music should enjoy his new app, Scape.

**** Apple Podcasts App Review ****
<http://www.imore.com/ios-6-apple-podcast-app-review>
Rene Ritchie, IMore

> Power users may want to stick to a power client, of which the App Store has several, but for those who simply want to enjoy the occasional podcast, as well as iCloud sync and Apple-style integration, Podcasts is a great choice.

**** Missing Your iDisk? OpenDrive Is An Easy To Use Substitute ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/08/missing-your-idisk-opendrive-is-an-easy-to-use-substitute/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> This weekend, I took a look at OpenDrive, which does a fine job of doing what iDisk used to do. You get a desktop mounted virtual drive, complete with public and private folders. You can drag anything in, or set it up to sync with any files on your computer. The system encourages collaboration, and it is easy to give someone a URL so they can download a file, files, or a folder.

**** How To Track Your Smartphone's Final Moments ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429532/how-to-track-your-smartphones-final-moments/?ref=rss>
Rachel Metz, Technology Review

> Signal Flare takes advantage of the automated alerts that pop up on many phones when the battery is dying, using them as a trigger to log the phone's location via its GPS, Wi-Fi, and wireless network service capabilities and send this data to Lookout's servers. Many phones give off two of these battery-life alerts—one when the battery is getting low, and another when it's nearly dead.

**** IBM Expands PureSystems Family With New PureData Big Data Box ****
<http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/ibm-expands-puresystems-family-with-new-puredata-big-data-box/>
Darryl K. Taft, eWeek

**** El Dorado ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2012/10/_el_dorado_by_peter_campion_.html>
Peter Campion, Slate

**** Back From Yet Another Globetrotting Adventure, Indiana Jones Checks His Mail And Discovers That His Bid For Tenure Has Been Denied. ****
<http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/back-from-yet-another-globetrotting-adventure-indiana-jones-checks-his-mail-and-discovers-that-his-bid-for-tenure-has-been-denied#.UHNwetTpmJw.twitter>
Andy Bryan, McSweeney's

> Moreover, no one on the committee can identify who or what instilled Dr. Jones with the belief that an archaeologist’s tool kit should consist solely of a bullwhip and a revolver.

**** S'pore Hopes To Raise TFR To At Least 1.4 ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1230387/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> He said there have been suggestions for the government to increase financial support for parents, improve the availability and quality of childcare facilities and promote work-life balance and flexi-work arrangements.

> Mr Teo said the government is studying these proposals, including ideas to refine existing marriage and parenthood initiatives. But he stressed that what's more important is a whole-of-society effort to enhance a family-friendly culture.

**** Between A Neighbour And Man's Best Friend ****
<http://singaporekopitok.blogspot.sg/2012/10/between-neighbour-and-mans-best-friend.html>
Singapore Kopi Tok

**** Sacking Amy Cheong "One Of The Most Difficult Decisions I Have To Make": Lim Swee Say ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121009-0000161/Sacking-Amy-Cheong-one-of-the-most-difficult-decisions-I-have-to-make--Lim-Swee-Say>
Today

> "In my statement yesterday, I made it very clear that inclusiveness is at the heart of the Labour Movement. I don't want to go back and talk about this [the course of action taken] again as it seems that we are still going after her. Let us have some heart to know that she has been punished and it is a very severe punishment for her. So, let us give her some space to reflect and recover from this episode."

**** Singapore May Avoid Recession For Now: PM Lee ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1230345/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> Speaking at the end of his official visit to New Zealand on Tuesday, Mr Lee told reporters that the GDP numbers for the second quarter of this year "may look a little better than the first estimates".

> However Mr Lee added a technical recession later may be unavoidable with the prospect of slower growth.

**** Singapore Bans Satirical Local Film ****
<http://www.skynews.com.au/world/article.aspx?id=803930>
AFP

> 'An overwhelming majority of the panel members have expressed that the film should not be allowed for public exhibition in view of its overt racial references which are demeaning and offensive to Indians,' said a statement sent to AFP by the Media Development Authority (MDA).

> Singapore has relaxed censorship rules on film nudity and violence in recent years. But it has strict laws against inciting racial or religious hatred in a predominantly ethnic Chinese society with Malay and Indian minorities.

Also:
• <a href="http://news.insing.com/tabloid/mda-bans-singapore-film-racist/id-34613f00">MDA bans Singapore film due to open this week</a> (Zaki Jufri, InSing.com): As to why the rating changed suddenly from M18 to NAR, the authority told inSing News that ‘Porn Masala’ was given a Not For All Rating (NAR) after it received “public feedback from the community”.

**** Singapore PM Urges 'Respect' After Facebook Rant ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19880128>
BBC

> While Mr Lee said he was ''shocked'' to learn of the remarks, he emphasised the incident was ''an isolated case that did not reflect the strength of race relations in Singapore''.

> ''But it sharply reminds us how easily a few thoughtless words can cause grave offence to many, and undermine our racial and religious harmony,'' he said.

**** Panel To Review Singapore's Fast-changing Media Landscape ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/panel-review-singapores-fast-changing-media-landscape-20121009>
Grace Chng, Straits Times

> It is aiming to ensure that Singapore's media policy and licensing framework remain relevant and adequate in the digital era.

**** At 52, Nation Building Or Branding: Singapore A Classic Case ****
<http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/branding/45558-at-52-nation-building-or-branding-singapore-a-classic-case->
Akonte Ekine, Business Day

**** Inflation Bonds May Ease Singapore Price Pinch ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-08/singapore-tips-pitch.html>
Sharon Chen and Wes Goodman, Bloomberg

> Singapore is considering issuing bonds that protect against inflation after price gains sent the cost of a public-housing apartment to a record S$1 million ($813,000) last month and made cars as expensive as U.S. homes.

**** Traversing An Uncharted Territory ****
<http://www.salt.org.sg/2030/traversing-an-uncharted-territory/>
Nadyne Pek, Salt

> With a heightened awareness and increased avenues for volunteering, more people are coming forward to volunteer. A group of people have taken the road less travelled by volunteering at a cemetery.

**** MAS Moves: Who Benefits? ****
<http://singaporegirl.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/mas-moves-who-benefits/>
Food Fuels Me To Talk...

**** The Case Of Cheong Chun Yin – Let’s Hope For A Re-trial ****
<http://rachelzeng.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/the-case-of-cheong-chun-yin-lets-hope-for-a-re-trial/>
Rachel Zeng

> Death is not reversible and once hanged, any previously convicted criminals found innocent post-sentence, cannot be brought to life. With this in mind, no leads given by alleged criminals should be left uninvestigated.

**** Sacked Less Than 24 Hours After Offensive Remarks ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121009-0000040/Sacked-less-than-24-hours-after-offensive-remarks>
Amir Hussain And Sumita Sreedharan, Today

> While many Internet users also applauded the swift sacking of Ms Cheong, some questioned the move - wondering if NTUC had overreacted and succumbed to public pressure, and whether Ms Cheong could have been educated on the error of her ways instead.

> On its social media policy, the NTUC spokesperson said that under its employment terms and conditions, "all staff shall observe proper decorum in their communication to the external public at large and to all forms of media". She added that it was not aware of previous instances where Ms Cheong had made comments of a similar nature.

**** Secret Tape Exposes Panasonic Singapore’s Employment Agent Practices ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/secret-tape-exposes-panasonic-singapores-employment-agent-practices/>
Kumaran Pillai, Choo Zheng Xi & Leo Khaw, The Online Citizen

> The exposé raises the question of whether Panasonic’s EA has breached the Employment Agencies Act as well as new questions about the Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) willingness to prosecute offences under the Employment Agencies Act.

**** Singapore Union Group Sacks Executive After Racist Post ****
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jn2R9YIBClLlobPXRdnTu47dsBgA?docId=CNG.a8e548e24ef6846fe77aa8ca280a718b.7e1>
AFP

> Last year a member of the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) was forced to quit after describing local Muslim children photographed in a school bus as terrorists in training.

> The NTUC works closely with the government and is seen as a training ground for future PAP politicians.

**** Germany's Schaeuble To Talk About Tax Treaty In Singapore ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20121008-704220.html>
William Boston, Wall Street Journal

> The focus on Singapore comes amid growing evidence that German citizens who once stashed their wealth in secret Swiss bank accounts have begun to move money to Singapore ahead of a new tax treaty with Switzerland that will make it harder for Germans to park their money in Swiss accounts out of the reach of the German tax authorities.

**** Singapore Film Sex.Violence.FamilyValues Yanked From Release ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/singapore-film-m18-classification-revoked-yanked-release-20121008>
John Lui, Straits Times

> Until a new classification is handed down, the feature about race, family and sex in Singapore cannot be shown to the public.

**** Our Problems Are Way, Way Bigger Than Just Amy ****
<http://www.misshallelujah.net/2012/10/09/our-problems-are-way-way-bigger-than-just-amy/>
Miss Hallelujah