[MyAppleMenu] Oct 8, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 8 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Brøderbund's Living Books Return For iPad Via Wanderful ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/08/broderbunds-living-books-return-for-ipad-via-wanderful/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

**** How To Share Documents With iCloud ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011048/how-to-share-documents-with-icloud.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> Still, only since the release of OS X Mountain Lion that enough applications have started to support iCloud document syncing for this feature to be useful. Working with iCloud is fairly simple, but you need to know the ground rules if you plan to start storing your documents in the cloud.

**** Retina Revolution ****
<http://blog.netvlies.nl/design-interactie/retina-revolution/>
Daan Jobsis

> Apple’s Retina revolution is an interesting evolution that is turning the design world upside down.

**** The iPhone 5 Is A Miracle ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/10/iphone_5_review_marveling_at_the_existence_of_the_greatest_phone_ever_made_.html>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate

> Now, almost a month later, it’s time for me to get something off my chest: I’ve made a huge mistake. I’ve had the iPhone 5 for about a week and a half, and I’m still annoyed about the dock connector thing. But it’s a small problem, and in retrospect I was wrong to allow myself to become overwhelmed by dock-based frustration.

It seems everyone is saying the same thing: you really have to hold it and use it to <i>really</i> appreciate the iPhone 5.

**** Apple And Foxconn: Stuck Together ****
<http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2012/10/08/apple-and-foxconn-stuck-together/#axzz28i2oMddh>
Sarah Mishkin, Financial Times

> Because the phone’s new metallic casing is easily scratchable, Apple required stricter quality controls on Foxconn’s plant in Zhengzhou where the handset is assembled. That sparked tensions that led some workers to walk off the job over the weekend, sources in Zhengzhou told the FT.

Surely, the next step for Apple is to start building its own factories, and to automate the heck out of everything.

**** The Patent, Used As A Sword ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/technology/patent-wars-among-tech-giants-can-stifle-competition.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all>
Charles Duhigg and Steve Lohr, New York Times

> Mr. Phillips and Vlingo are among the thousands of executives and companies caught in a software patent system that federal judges, economists, policy makers and technology executives say is so flawed that it often stymies innovation.

> Alongside the impressive technological advances of the last two decades, they argue, a pall has descended: the marketplace for new ideas has been corrupted by software patents used as destructive weapons.

> Vlingo was a tiny upstart on this battlefield, but as recent litigation involving Apple and Samsung shows, technology giants have also waged wars among themselves.

**** Apple’s 2am Blues ****
<http://paulwallbank.com/2012/10/07/apples-2am-blues/>
Decoding The New Economy

> It appears iOS6 no longer likes 2am or 2pm if your location is set to the parts of Australia that switched to summer daylight savings this morning.

It's time to fix this bug once and for all: abolish daylight savings.

**** Testing Apple's New Maps App On A Road Trip ****
<http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/2019353727_webiphonemaps05.html>
Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press

**** ‘This Stuff Doesn’t Change The World’: Disability And Steve Jobs’ Legacy ****
<http://www.wired.com/business/2011/10/steve-jobs-disability/>
Tim Carmody, Wired

> It may be a stretch to say Steve Jobs invented the iPod Touch or most of the technologies contained in it. But Steve Jobs certainly put it in my son’s hands, both by making it a sub-$200 device (and in our case, giving it away free with a laptop) and by helping to create an ecosystem of software applications for people with disabilities — perhaps especially communication disabilities.

**** Topology: The Secret Ingredient In The Latest Theory Of Everything ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429528/topology-the-secret-ingredient-in-the-latest/?ref=rss>
Technology Review

**** The Seeds That Federal Money Can Plant ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/technology/making-the-case-for-a-government-hand-in-research.html?pagewanted=all>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

> Government support plays a vital role in incubating new ideas that are harvested by the private sector, sometimes many years later, creating companies and jobs.

**** Can Marissa Mayer Really Have It All? ****
<http://nymag.com/thecut/2012/10/marissa-mayer-yahoo-ceo.html>
Lisa Miller, New York Magazine

> There comes a moment in every very ambitious person’s life when she sees with perfect clarity that the path before her is blocked. For Marissa Mayer, Google employee No. 20 and Silicon Valley’s reigning “geek queen,” this moment occurred last year, when her former boyfriend, Google co-founder Larry Page, kicked her off the company’s elite operating committee, to which she had been appointed the previous year.

**** How To Die ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/opinion/keller-how-to-die.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytopinion&seid=auto>
Bill Keller, International Herald Tribune

> "I have fought death for so long. It is such a relief to give up."

**** Why Handwriting Matters ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/07/missing-ink-handwriting-art-hensher-extract>
Philip Hensher, The Observer

> We have surrendered our handwriting for something more mechanical, less distinctively human, less telling about ourselves and less present in our moments of the highest happiness and the deepest emotion.

**** S’poreans Compete To See Who Can Be Least Racist ****
<http://newnation.sg/2012/10/sporeans-compete-to-see-who-can-be-least-racist/>
New Nation

**** Why Do We Not Embrace Other Forms Of Diversity? ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/why-do-we-not-embrace-other-forms-of-diversity/>
Andrew Loh

**** Amy Cheong: An Interesting Precedent By NTUC ****
<http://blog.dk.sg/2012/10/08/amy-cheong-an-interesting-precedent-by-ntuc/>
DKSG

> During the recent National Day Rally, PM Lee said that bad behaviour from foreigners provoke an overwhelming response while bad Singaporean behaviour goes uncriticised. I hope this incident also prove him wrong.

**** Amy Cheong Says Sorry For Facebook Post ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1230163/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Ms Amy Cheong said in a statement on Monday that she's aware of the pain she has caused through her insensitive remarks on social media.

**** AGC Seeks Legal Costs Against Resident In Hougang By-election Case ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1230192/1/.html>
Kimberly Spykerman, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr M Ravi has argued that no order should be made against Madam Vellama on the grounds that she had won two out of the four applications filed when her Judicial Review application at the leave stage was a success.

> On this point, the AGC clarified that the fact that leave was initially granted for her to proceed does not change its position on seeking legal costs.

**** Everyday Racism. ****
<http://spuddings.net/2012/10/08/everyday-racism/>
Kristen Han, #spuddings

> It would probably be much more honest for us to say: “Please don’t think our condemnation of Amy Cheong is representative of all Singaporeans. Just because we condemn this one racist comment doesn’t mean there is generally no racism in Singapore.” And if we could just all admit this, we would be a lot better off in our struggle against racism in our society and in ourselves.

**** The Case Of Amy Cheong And The Idea Of Entitlement ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/788-the-case-of-amy-cheong-and-the-idea-of-entitlement>
Miak Siew, Publichouse.sg

> I personally think that the law is unhelpful - punishing someone for making a racist remark only drives racism into hiding.

**** Housing A Nation - SDP's Alternative Housing Plan ****
<http://yoursdp.org/news/2012-10-08-5389>
Singaore Democratic Party

> Our housing problems are big and set to get worse. If we blindly continue down the PAP's road and do nothing, we will suffer tragic consequences.

**** The Improbable Resilience Of Singapore ****
<http://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/node/1163>
John Richardson, Elizabeth Ong, Solutions

> Singapore’s solutions should ultimately be viewed as tools or indicators that other cities need not borrow whole-cloth, but might usefully adapt to local contexts and limitations.

**** Is Property Investing Stifling Enterprise In Singapore? ****
<http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/sideviews/article/is-property-investing-stifling-enterprise-in-singapore-richard-hartung>
Richard Hartung, The Malaysian Insider

> Property investment has become so attractive to so many people here, it seems, that it may actually have reached the point where it is increasing risk and crowding out other investments that could be better for the Singapore economy.

**** NTUC Sacks Staff For Inappropriate Facebook Comments ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1230104/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Secretary-General Lim Swee Say said in a statement on Monday that the NTUC takes a serious view on racial harmony in Singapore.

> He said the NTUC will not accept and has zero tolerance towards any words used or actions taken by its staff that are racially offensive.

**** Southeast Asia Splashes Out On Defence, Mostly Maritime ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/07/defence-southeastasia-idUSL1E8L107720121007>
John O'Callaghan, Reuters

> Wary of China and flush with economic success, Southeast Asia is ramping up spending on military hardware to protect the shipping lanes, ports and maritime boundaries that are vital to the flow of exports and energy.

> At $9.66 billion, Singapore's 2011 defence budget dwarfed Thailand's $5.52 billion, Indonesia's $5.42 billion, Malaysia's $4.54 billion and Vietnam's $2.66 billion, IISS says.

**** NTUC Assistant Director Says Sorry For Racist Post ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ntuc-assistant-director-says-sorry-for-racist-post.html>
Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!

> An employee of the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) has apologised after a profanity-laced post slamming Malay void deck weddings on her Facebook account went viral on Monday morning, sparking a furious backlash on social media.

> NTUC has since said that it is investigating the incident. In an update on its Facebook fan page, it said the fracas caused by Cheong’s post is “a serious concern to all of us and will be addressed shortly”.

**** Brisk Condominium Sale In Singapore ****
<http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/10/8/business/12139024&sec=business>
Straits Times

> Despite new restrictions on the length of home loans that took effect on Saturday, house hunters did not stay away from condominium showflats islandwide.

**** Chee Soon Juan Interview – The Man And His Beliefs – Part III ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/chee-soon-juan-interview-the-man-and-his-beliefs-part-iii/>
Leo Khaw, The Online Citizen

**** Singapore Home To Wealthiest Expats ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news/singapore-home-wealthiest-expats>
Singapore Business Review

> 54% of Singapore expats earn more than US$200K annually versus global survey average of only 7%.

**** Here's Why New Property Measures Are Not Punitive ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/residential-property/news/heres-why-new-property-measures-are-not-punitive>
Singapore Business Review

> OCBC said that given that the average loan tenure in Singapore is still at a relatively acceptable 29 years currently, the latest measures is seen as mostly preventive, rather than punitive, in nature.

**** A Singaporean Education ****
<http://twocentlines.com/a-singaporean-education/>
Eugene Lim, Twocentlines

**** Food Thoughts ****
<http://asingaporeanson.blogspot.sg/2012/10/food-thoughts.html>
A Singaporean In Austrlia

> I could see one of the aspects I love most about Singapore is slowly drifting into decrepitude but there isn't anything I could do about it. It is probably an unintended by-product of our government's fixation on progress. Singapore has been enmeshed into an obsession for upgrading. We must look nice, new and nothing less than perfect. No, that's actually not enough. Everything around us must be swagger quality. No, you cannot go around with a Nokia phone with a rubber band tied across the screen. That's societal death sentence.

**** 大量德國逃稅者將黑錢轉移到新加坡 ****
<http://news.wenweipo.com/2012/10/07/IN1210070078.htm>
文匯報

> 瑞士失去「避稅天堂」優勢後,大量德國逃稅者將黑錢轉移到新加坡。德國財政部正積極努力與新加坡商討制定雙邊稅務協定。

**** New Cooling Measures? ****
<http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.sg/2012/10/new-cooling-measures.html>
Musings From The Lion City