[MyAppleMenu] Nov 17, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 17 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** Apple Now Owns The Page Turn ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/apple-now-owns-the-page-turn/>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

> This design patent, titled, “Display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface,” gives Apple the exclusive rights to the page turn in an e-reader application.

Also:
• <a href="http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2012/11/16/this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things-page-turning-edition.html">This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things (Page Turning Edition)</a> (Dave Does The Blog): I'm hoping there is a clear reason why this patent is way more specific than it seems. But I'm not hoping very optimistically.

**** Apple Notifies Messages Beta Users That Service Will End On Dec. 14 ****
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/16/apple-notifies-imessages-beta-users-that-service-will-end-on-dec-14>
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

> In an email to users on Friday, Apple reminded Messages beta program participants that the preview period will end on Friday, Dec. 14, noting that the service will then only be available on OS X Mountain Lion.

**** The Early Results Of An iPad Classroom Are In. ****
<http://edudemic.com/2012/11/the-early-results-of-an-ipad-classroom-are-in/>
Edudemic

> I’ve never observed anything else that has had the impact on teacher personal learning like the introduction of the iPad.

**** Finding Your Way Around Calendar’s Hidden Features ****
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tips-shortcuts/finding-your-way-around-calendars-hidden-features/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Jacob Penderworth, Mactuts+

**** ScreenFlow 4 Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3411462&olo=rss>
Steve Paris, Macworld UK

> For anyone who makes a living making complex screencasts on a Mac, there’s no doubt that this new version’s a must-buy.

**** Configuring Sublime Text 2 ****
<http://www.mutuallyhuman.com/blog/2012/10/18/configuring-sublime-text-2/>
Ross Hunter, Mutually Human

**** Ask The Tunes Guy: iTunes Store Authorization, Library Splitting, And More ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2014031/ask-the-tunes-guy-itunes-store-authorization-library-splitting-and-more.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> In this week’s column, I look at iTunes Store authorization issues, how to get albums to stay together, a question about working with artwork, and how to split your iTunes library.

**** Ev Williams Takes To Medium To Discuss The True Purpose Of His New Publishing Tool ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/15/ev-williams-takes-to-medium-to-discuss-the-true-purpose-of-his-new-publishing-tool/>
Drew Olanoff, TechCrunch

> This latest product, Medium, allows people to create collections of content based on a theme or subject, and then invites others to add pieces to those collections. It’s truly collaborative, and after using it for the past week, it actually excites me to write a personal “blog” again. But it doesn’t feel like a blog, it’s something new altogether.

**** Why I Decided To Spend More Time Working From Home ****
<http://www.sachinkamdar.com/why-i-decided-to-spend-more-time-working-from-home/>
Cantnkerous Robots

**** Which Of These 6 Product Team Antipatterns Does Your Team Have ****
<http://www.allanberger.com/post/35054897217/anti-patterns-of-lean-ux>
Allan Berger

**** Social Media Companies Have Absolutely No Idea How To Handle The Gaza Conflict ****
<http://betabeat.com/2012/11/social-media-companies-have-absolutely-no-idea-how-to-handle-the-gaza-conflict/>
Jessica Roy, Betabeat

> It's new ground for Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Tumblr.

**** Recalculating ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/nov/16/recalculating-paul-muldoon-saturday-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Paul Muldoon, The Guardian

**** The Science Of Sizzle ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/books/review/consider-the-fork-by-bee-wilson.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dawn Drzal, New York Times

> “Which comes first, the stir-fry or the wok?” It may sound like a bad joke, but the answer holds the key to one of the world’s great cuisines. Bee Wilson’s supple, sometimes playful style in “Consider the Fork,” a history of the tools and techniques humans have invented to feed themselves, cleverly disguises her erudition in fields from archaeology and anthropology to food science. Only when you find yourself rattling off statistics at the dinner table will you realize how much information you’ve effortlessly absorbed.

**** Softer Part Of Nation-building ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/11/17/columnists/insightdownsouth/12326111&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> For decades, the government had regarded chasing after gross domestic product and accumulation of reserves as the supreme objective, done at the expense of other developments. However, it still lacks the “graces of a civilised society” such as music, culture and the arts.

**** US Branch Campus Demise Is A Cautionary Tale For Asian Ambitions ****
<http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20121116104624469>
Yojana Sharma, University World News

> Some observers point to a cultural propensity against arts and humanities and in favour of the sciences in Singapore. However, Singh says Singapore is beginning to change.

> Another problem is a lack of creative industries in Singapore itself.

**** Fraser & Neave In Takeover Battle ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20353544>
BBC

**** Why The Worst Is Over For Singapore's Economy ****
<http://www.cnbc.com/id/49850103>
Jean Chua, CNBC

> “Recent signs of bottoming in exports growth in bellwether countries such as Korea, Taiwan, and crucially China, are encouraging. We have seen some early signs of this in the (Singapore) non-oil domestic exports data for October, and chances are more will come through into the year-end,” Vishnu Varathan, senior economist with Mizuho Corporate Bank in Singapore said.

**** Ng Eng Han Lied To Singaporeans About Providing A NS Disruption List ****
<http://therealsingapore.com/content/ng-eng-han-lied-singaporeans-about-providing-ns-disruption-list>
The Real Singapore

> Sir, you also mentioned that you would publish annually a list of names of NSF who defer their enlistments (‘<a href="http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20111020-306203.html">NS disruption list to be open to public: Minister Ng</a>‘, ST 20 Oct 2011). It seemed that it has been overdue or perhaps overlooked. Is the ministry taking the matter seriously?

Let's be a little generous and give him until the end of this year for the list.

**** Employers Raise Concerns Over Overtime Pay Proposal ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121117-0000044/Employers-raise-concerns-over-overtime-pay-proposal>
Lin Yanqin, Today

> Overtime costs for employers could increase by a median 5 per cent if the salary ceiling for office workers to qualify for overtime pay is raised by 10 per cent, according to one third of employers surveyed by the Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF), which yesterday issued a statement detailing its concerns.

How about creating a work environment without a need for overtime?

**** Deductions At MRT Gantry Correct ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC121117-0000017/Deductions-at-MRT-gantry-correct>
Corrine Ng, Transit Link Pte Ltd, Today