[MyAppleMenu] Nov 9, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 9 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** How To Get Your Pictures Out Of Aperture ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2013637/how-to-get-your-pictures-out-of-aperture.html>
Derrick Story, Macworld

> The Export function in Aperture 3 is a versatile tool for moving copies of your pictures out of the application. It’s also one of the more misunderstood functions of Apple’s flagship professional photo-management application. If you’ve felt a certain lack of control in this area, I’ll get you on track right now.

**** How To Set Up Your Addresses In Messages ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2013683/how-to-set-up-your-addresses-in-messages.html>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

**** Siri For Travel, Desti, Launches iPad App In Public Beta Giving Users Their Own “Smart Travel Guide” ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/11/09/siri-for-travel-desti-launches-ipad-app-in-public-beta-giving-users-their-own-smart-travel-guide/>
Ken Yeung, The Next Web

> Using Natural Language Processing (NLP) and semantic search capabilities, Desti is said to be able to understand your intentions in planning a trip. From its demo, if you happen to be looking for a trip to Monterey Bay with the family, the app will conduct a search and pull up results that suit your needs. The company says the app has deep knowledge about specific geographical regions that help to provide it with much deeper information and context than what you might expect from other travel sites.

**** The Magical Tech Behind Paper For iPad's Color-Mixing Perfection ****
<http://www.fastcompany.com/3002676/magical-tech-behind-paper-ipads-color-mixing-perfection>
Chris Dannen, Fast Company

> In the new version of Paper released last week, you mix colors with your fingers, like it's paint--only somehow more beautiful. This one magical feature burned a year of development time, resurrected the work of two dead German scientists, and got Apple's attention.

**** Tumblr iOS App Updated, Now Completely Native ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/08/tumblr-ios-app-updated-now-completely-native/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> Finally jumping headfirst into iOS with a redesigned experience, the updated Tumblr app is now live on the App Store. Whereas the previous version relied in part on simplified web views to replicate the Tumblr feel, the new experience is 100 percent native to iOS.

**** Nginx For Mac OS X Mountain Lion In 2 Minutes ****
<http://kevinworthington.com/nginx-for-mac-os-x-mountain-lion-in-2-minutes/>
Kevin Worthington

**** Maximize Your Old Mac's Performance ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57546729-263/maximize-your-old-macs-performance/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you have an older Mac system that seems to be on the slowish side, a few upgrades can help you get the most out of it.

**** Pulse 3.0 Newsreader Hits iOS With New Interface, Improved Search ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/08/pulse-3-0-newsreader-hits-ios-with-new-interface-improved-searc/>
Randy Nelson, TUAW

> The new release introduces a revamped interface that keeps the clean aesthetic the app is known for, but simplifies it further, introducing the ability to add unlimited content per page and swiping to reveal a new category sidebar.

**** Clear For Mac: The Simpler A Great App Looks And Feels, The Harder It Is To Make ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/11/08/clear-for-mac-the-simpler-a-great-app-looks-and-feels-the-harder-it-is-to-make/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheNextWeb+(The+Next+Web+All+Stories)>
Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web

**** Clear For Mac: A Refreshingly Fun And Simple Task Manager Inspired By iOS [Review] ****
<http://www.cultofmac.com/200268/clear-for-mac-a-refreshingly-fun-and-simple-task-manager-inspired-by-ios-review/>
Alex Heath, Cult Of Mac

**** Skeu You ****
<http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/11/user-interfaces>
G.F., The Economist

> Too much whimsy can be irritating and Apple's products in the past few years were skewed towards skeuomorphism. A touch of rebalancing away from such contrivances is probably in order. But a bit will enliven drab software. You would hope, therefore, that Mr Ive does not throw the simulated baby out with the digitally enhanced bathwater.

**** Apple Seeks Standard To Appease Angry University Net Managers ****
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/110812-apple-university-264091.html>
Carolyn Duffy Marsan, Network World

> Under fire from its customers in the higher education market, Apple has proposed creating a new industry standard that would fix problems with its Bonjour zero configuration networking technology that is causing scalability and security problems on campus networks.

**** AT&T To Expand FaceTime Over Cellular Access To Tiered LTE Customers ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2013674/atandt-to-expand-facetime-over-cellular-access-to-tiered-lte-customers.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Product Performances ****
<http://dcurt.is/magic?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dcurtis+%28Dustin+Curtis%29>
Dustin Curtis

> But the truth is this–and I have personally witnessed it a hundred times–if a team feels personally obsessed with a product or company’s success, and if they genuinely love what they are doing, they will spend every waking minute perfecting and fixing whatever is needed before anything is released.

**** Is The Great American Novel Still Relevant? ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/11/08/is_the_great_american_novel_still_relevant/>
Julia Ingalls, Salon

> They’re about being American, damn it, which is tricky when you’re living in a country where even the politicians are cynically rolling their eyes at the notions of “freedom” and “prosperity.”

**** The Digital Challenge, I: Loss & Gain, Or The Fate Of The Book ****
<http://www.newcriterion.com/articles.cfm/The-digital-challenge--I--Loss---gain--or-the-fate-of-the-book-7468>
Anthony Daniels, The New Criterion

> For the moment, however, I derive a certain comfort from looking over, and being surrounded by, my laden shelves. They are my refuge from a world that I have found difficult to negotiate; if it had not been for the necessity of earning my living in a more practical way, I could easily, and perhaps happily, have turned into a complete bookworm, or one of those creatures like the silverfish and the small, fragile, scaly moths that spend their entire lives among obscure and seldom disturbed volumes. I would have not read to live, but lived to read.

**** The Potter’s Hand By AN Wilson: Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/9650917/The-Potters-Hand-by-AN-Wilson-review.html>
Judith Flanders, Telegraph

> Wilson has given us a novel packed with action and information, a novel of objects and beautiful surfaces – a novel suited to the genius of Wedgwood.

**** James Minchin Refused Entry To Singapore ****
<http://yoursdp.org/news/2012-11-09-5440>
Singaore Democratic Party

**** Values Also A Measure Of Succes: PM Lee ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121109-0000127/Values-also-a-measure-of-succes--PM-Lee>
Amir Hussain, Today

> The government cannot and should not try to do everything when it comes to helping the less fortunate, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong today, as he lauded the work of voluntary welfare organisations in Singapore.

**** John Hopkins, UNSW And Now Tisch: When Will We Ever Learn? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=2022>
Leong Sze Hian

> When a public agency refuses to disclose whether taxpayers’ money can be recovered, it is a lack of transparency. Without transparency, how can there be accountability?

Too many secrets.

**** Protect PMETs From Employers? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=2020>
Leong Sze Hian

**** Thinkers 'Should Join Conversation' ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121109-0000057/Thinkers-should-join-conversation>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

**** FA Premier League In "Exclusive Negotiation Period" With Mio TV ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/fa-premier-league-exclusive-negotiation-period-mio-tv-20121109>
Terrence Voon, Straits Times

> The Premier League is still tying up the loose ends of its new broadcast deal with SingTel, and cannot enter into talks with another local provider.

And yet another reason why MDA's sharing-of-exclusive-content rule is stupid.

**** Singapore’s Population Policies: Book Extract In The New Straits Times, Nov 5th 2012 ****
<http://sudhirtv.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/singapores-population-policies-book-extract-in-the-new-straits-times-november-5th-2012/>
Sudhir Thomas Vadaketh, Musings From Singapore

**** Town Councils Are Feeling The Labour Crunch ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121109-0000044/Town-councils-are-feeling-the-labour-crunch>
Woo Sian Boon, Today

> A check of seven town councils which have posted figures online showed that five have had to stump out more for cleaning contracts, and the annual increases vary between 4.5 per cent and 17.3 per cent.

The government should be prepared to create jobs that it has previously outsourced. And pay above a certain minimum wage.

**** SPH Reporter Can’t Do %ages And Other SPH Horrors ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/sph-reporter-cant-do-ages-and-other-sph-horrors/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor