[MyAppleMenu] Nov 8, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 8 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** Review: Fourth-generation iPad Is Faster, Stronger, Better ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2013582/review-fourth-generation-ipad-is-faster-stronger-better.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> This is unquestionably Apple’s most powerful iPad to date, and it handles pretty much anything you can throw at it with aplomb. If the new iPad mini is a MacBook Air, as my colleague Dan Frakes alleges, then the fourth-generation iPad is the big iron of a MacBook Pro.

**** Angry Birds Star Wars Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/?reviewid=3409872&olo=rss>
Mark Hattersley, Macworld UK

> Star Wars fans will love the quirky mix of characters, and Rovio deserves a lot of credit for thinking of ways to include Star Wars style effects into the Angry Birds game mechanics. It’s a new way to play Angry Birds, and a great way to while away a few hours.

**** Apple Store App Now Includes Passbook, Siri Integration ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/11/apple-store-app-now-includes-passbook-siri-integration>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

**** The Best ****
<http://dcurt.is/the-best>
Dustin Curtis

> It’s better to have a few fantastic things designed for you than to have many untrustworthy things poorly designed to please everyone. The result–being able to blindly trust the things you own–is intensely liberating.

And sometimes, we end up writing our software so that the software is <i>the best</i>. Not the best for everybody, but the best for that one person, me.

**** Clear For Mac Review: The iPhone's Most Beautiful To-do App Comes To The Desktop ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/3613664/clear-for-mac-review>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

> "With Clear for Mac, we wanted to spearhead a new design direction for Mac UI that focuses on simplicity," Realmac's Rob Jarman told me. The result is a perfect companion to Clear for iPhone, but one that lacks what made the iPhone version so special: a beautiful interface that was both very intuitive and very convenient to use with your fingers.

**** Photoshop Elements Version 11; Still The Best Consumer Image Editor ****
<http://www.macprices.net/2012/11/07/photoshop-elements-version-11-still-the-best-consumer-image-editor-book-mystique-review/>
Charles Moore, MacPrices.net

**** Review: iPad Mini Smart Cover Disappoints Compared To Its Predecessor ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2013609/review-ipad-mini-smart-cover-disappoints-compared-to-its-predecessor.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> My biggest objection is that there’s no ideal way to fold the cover behind the iPad mini when you actually want to use the tablet.

> Also disappointing is the fact that the iPad mini Smart Cover just feels floppier and flimsier than its big brother.

Maybe we should all wait for a smart cover <i>with</i> a keyboard?

**** Snow Leopard Users: Just Try To Pry This From My Cold, Dead Hands ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9233365/Snow_Leopard_users_Just_try_to_pry_this_from_my_cold_dead_hands?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> Many declared that they would not abandon Snow Leopard, the OS that launched in August 2009, because it was the last from Apple that let users run PowerPC applications, even though the operating system itself runs only on Intel-based Macs.

It's definitely okay to stay on older operating systems. Just don't complain about Apple not supporting you with all the new stuff.

**** Prizmo Is A Powerful OS X Scanning App ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/07/prizmo-is-a-powerful-os-x-scanning-app/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

**** Apple Enables Icloud.com Addresses For Me.com And Mac.com Users ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13380?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Apple has sent email to iCloud users who have existing me.com and mac.com email addresses, with the news that those of us with the old-style addresses can now receive email to the same user name at icloud.com as well — apart from the domain name, there is no difference in how mail will be treated or received.

**** Google Aces Can’t Defeat Bibliophiles ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/books/mr-penumbras-24-hour-bookstore-by-robin-sloan.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Janet Maslin, New York Times

> The culture clash at work here — Google aces wielding the full, computer-assisted strength of their collective brainpower, one scholar fiddling with a quaint astrolabe — has a topicality that works to this novel’s advantage.

**** Jobs: Great Stories Of 1 Worker Only? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=2014>
Leong Sze Hian

> If this is the best example that can be found to show that helping workers to upgrade their skills has been successful in raising workers’ pay, I think we may have a problem. Why? Well, what is perhaps striking about this example is that he was only paid $1,500 after working for 35 years in the same job in the same company.

**** By-election Case: How Significant Is "No Cost" Ruling? ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/election-case-how-significant-no-cost-ruling>
Andrea Ong, Straits Times

**** SDP Responds To Lee Kuan Yew On Housing ****
<http://yoursdp.org/news/sdp_responds_to_lee_kuan_yew_on_housing/2012-11-07-5435>
Singaore Democratic Party

> Quality of life has nothing to do with sitting on a flat worth a million dollars on paper while buried in a mortgage that you spend your life paying – and then end up without savings for retirement.

**** Time We Had Real Public Housing ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/time-we-had-real-public-housing/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread