[MyAppleMenu] May 26, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 26 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Set Up Your Windows As You See Fit With Moom Utility ****
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2018289785_ptmacc26.html>
Jeff Carlson, The Seattle Times

> Moom brings order to the chaos of a busy Mac by moving and resizing windows as you prefer.

**** AirFloat Removed From The App Store ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/25/airfloat-removed-from-the-app-store/>
Megan Lavey-Heaton, TUAW

**** Inkflow Has One Great Idea ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/inkflow-for-the-ipad-has-one-great-idea/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

**** Apple's Sir Jonathan Ive Reaffirms Desire To Stay At Company ****
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18188670>
BBC

> Apple's lead designer Sir Jonathan Ive has reaffirmed his desire to stay at the computing giant. He said he wanted to stay with "the same team I've been fortunate enough to work with for the past 15 years."

I'm linking to this article just to remind you that it's <i>Sir</i> Jonathan Ive. Don't forget.

**** Locating And Dispensing With Old Applications ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166972/locating_and_dispensing_with_old_applications.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Three Things That Should Trouble Apple ****
<http://kickingbear.com/blog/archives/305>
Guy English, Kickingbear

> iTunes is dead. But it’s still the big play. Microsoft became trapped in the Windows legacy and now, it appears, that Apple is becoming trapped into the iTunes legacy. How is it possible to make a radical transformation, with regards to media management, on the majority of iOS devices without addressing the the train-wreck that is iTunes?

I use iTunes as a music and podcast player on my Mac every day. I also use Applescript to compose my playlist. I will be sad to see iTunes go away.
(On the other hand, I don't get iTunes media store here in Singapore, so I've never used that part of the app.)

**** Reddit's Alexis Ohanian And Activists Aim To Build A 'Bat-Signal For The Internet' ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/05/25/reddit-founder-and-activists-aim-to-build-a-bat-signal-for-the-internet/>
Andy Greenberg, Forbes

> Any website owner can sign up on the group’s website to add a bit of code to his or her site–or receive that code by email at the time of a certain campaign–that can be triggered in the case of a political crisis like SOPA, adding an activist call-to-action to all the sites involved, such as a widget or banner asking users to sign petitions, call lawmakers, or boycott companies.

**** God Is My Sous Chef ****
<http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2012/05/23/god-is-my-sous-chef/>
Jessica Sidman, Washington City Paper

> Smith swirls the contents—rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemongrass, star anise, and half a dozen other herbs and spices simmering in oil—as he makes a lap past the bar and around some low-lying tables in the restaurant’s lounge. An aromatic trail of smoke and steam follows as he races down the hall, past the host stand, and around every corner in the empty 130-seat dining room.

> That’s how you please the restaurant gods.

**** Parents' Evening ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/may/25/parents-evening-rhian-edwards-saturday-poem>
Rhian Edwards, The Guardian

**** Workers’ Party Routs PAP Again ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/workers-party-routs-pap-again/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> Facebook chatter had it that Choo was dismayed by the strategy adopted by his own party’s bigwigs. I don’t know if that is true, but if it was, it must have been highly frustrating for him, because the mainstream media has been so pavlovian-trained to give big headlines to anything uttered by PAP leaders that invariably the daily headlines reflected what Teo wanted, rather than what Choo thought was wise.

> In that sense, it was a reprise of the debacle in Aljunied in 2006 [sic]. That was when George Yeo, one of the PAP candidates there, had to plead with other PAP leaders to tone down their heavy-fisted attacks. But to no avail. Lee Kuan Yew’s commandment to Singaporeans to vote PAP or else repent for five years was given full play by the mainstream media, but it so cheesed off voters, he could well have been single-handedly responsible for an extra 5 percentage points going to the opposition.

> And the lesson for the PAP? Learn to respect the voter.

**** Lucky Png ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/lucky-png/>
Political Writings

> Statistically, the 2% difference from GE2011 is insignificant. It appears the Yaw issue and Png’s slip-ups barely affected the result.

**** Hougang Chooses The Worker’s Party Once More ****
<http://asiancorrespondent.com/83098/hougang-goes-to-the-polls-once-again/>
Kirsten Han, Asian Correspondent

> Although the PAP candidate Desmond Choo gained 2% more of the vote compared to last year’s General Election, Png Eng Huat’s win has shown that despite the whole debacle with Yaw Shin Leong, Hougang SMC remains as the WP’s stronghold.

**** Singapore's Ruling Party Loses By-election ****
<http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/26/singapore-ruling-party-loses-by-election/>
Associated Press

> Voters have dealt Singapore's ruling People's Action Party its third electoral setback in a year, allowing the opposition to hold onto a Parliament seat in a by-election.

**** The Scene Outside Hougang Blk 322 Now #Hougangbyelection pic.twitter.com/wsVXRQqG ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/weimeng/status/206400095049101312>
Weimeng, Twitter

**** This Is (A Quarter Of) The Crowd Lining Hougang Ave 5 Waiting For Huat. Machiam Chingay! #Hougangbyelection pic.twitter.com/ninLjTz5 ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/clementchio/status/206398225861718016>
Clement Chio, Twitter

**** The Roads Are Filled Outside Block 322!!!! #Hougangbyelection W Wp Supporters!! http://mypict.me/n2q2E ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/qinatthedisco/status/206396406968221696>
Qin, Twitter

**** Png Eng Huat Wins Hougang By-election ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1203784/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Workers' Party's Png Eng Huat has won the Hougang by-election with 13,447 votes against PAP's Desmond Choo's 8,210 votes.

**** #YamAhMee: "I Decare Png Eng Huat Of The WP As The Candidate Election For The Electoral Divison Of Hougang" ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/todayonline/status/206392087954993152>
Today, Twitter

**** RESULT: #YamAhMee: Desmond Choo 8,210 Votes. Png Eng Huat 13,447 Votes. Rejected 294. Total Cast 21,951 ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/todayonline/status/206391923991248896>
Today, Twitter

**** Overheard At WP HQ: "It's Game Over For The PAP" ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/todayonline/status/206390760566816768>
Today, Twitter

**** After A Good 5 Minutes Gillian Koh Hasn't Not Answered The First Question Pointed To Her. Time-wasting Technique ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/ianngyy/status/206385196927422466>
Ian Ng, Twitter

**** DPM Teo And Mr Khaw Should Bear Some Responsibility If Choo Loses Tonight. We All Know Why. ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/electrichandz/status/206383038014296064>
Joseph Tan, Twitter

**** Pro-WP Crowd At Blk 322 Coffeeshop Has Spilled Over To The Traditional Medical Hall Next Door ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/todayonline/status/206381000740179970>
Today, Twitter

**** At WP's Syed Alwi HQ, Party Members Look Relaxed, Are Joking And Laughing. No Talk Of Numbers Though ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/todayonline/status/206379580439793664>
Today, Twitter

**** The Crowd At Block 322! About 1K People Are Here ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/qinatthedisco/status/206379148401324033>
Qin, Twitter

**** Speculation From Source Final Tally Will Be 14,000 Votes To WP And 9,000 To PAP, Based On Counting So Far. ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/stcom/status/206377512882806784>
The Straits Times, Twitter

**** Upbeat Mood Among WP Supporters At Hougang Coffeeshop At Blk 322 And 327. ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/publichousesg/status/206362008440946688>
Publichousesg, Twitter

**** Coffeeshop At Blk 322 Hougang Ave 5 Where People Were Heard Shouting "Workers' Party!" ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/cnalatest/status/206359925276938241/photo/1>
Channel NewsAsia, Twitter

**** In Hougang, A Quiet Polling Day ****
<http://news.insing.com/tabloid/in-hougang-a-quiet-polling-day/id-974c3f00>
Xue Jianyue, InSing.com

> Voting closes at 8pm on Saturday (26 May) and results are expected after 10pm.

> In contrast to the high profile General Election last year, both parties are not holding gatherings of supporters to await the announcement of election results.

**** Workers' Party Supporters Start To Gather At Hougang Blk 322. One Table Shouts Workers’ Party! ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/occupysg/status/206358476182650881>
Occupy Singapore, Twitter

**** The Scene Inside PAP Hougang Branch Office. It's A Waiting Game Now. Supporters Appear Calm, Upbeat ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://twitter.com/TODAYonline/status/206357613464666112/photo/1>
Today, Twitter

**** Concluding Report Of The Hougang By-elections ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/concluding-report-of-the-hougang-by-elections/>
Howard Lee, The Online Citizen

**** NParks Announces Plans For Central Catchment Nature Reserve ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_803499.html>
Amelia Tan, Straits Times

> Minister of state for national development and manpower Tan Chuan-Jin on Saturday announced that the National Parks Board (NParks) will develop a 30km cycling loop, a nature park and two towers around the Central Catchment Nature Reserve to make nature more accessible to Singaporeans.

**** Nearly Half Voted By Midday, Says Elections Department ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1203714/1/.html>
Monica Kotwani, Channel NewsAsia

> "Today is not a public holiday, and I need to work so that's why I came so early," said one resident.

> At another polling station nearby, residents Channel NewsAsia spoke with said they were voting early because they had other commitments.

**** Black Powder ****
<http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/black-powder/>
Words Of The Cze

> Methinks (and collected intelligence agree) he’s quietly working the actual voters in the ward in a parallel strategy of sorts. Maybe he disagrees with the main PAP tactical line (making him a rather decent chap despite the lightning bolt on his shirt) or maybe he’s just wise enough to keep his own hands clean (making him rather savvier than just about every other PAP MP). Can’t say much for Png – I really don’t know how much of this campaign is him, and how much is Low.

**** Singapore Holds Keenly-watched By-election ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18185982>
BBC

> The ruling party has cast this as a local election and its candidate has focused on improvements to the residential estate.

> But the opposition party maintains the poll is more than that, saying issues faced by voters in Hougang are the same as for the rest of the nation, such as a widening income gap and the need for more diverse voices in parliament.

> Some observers say the poll is being seen as an indication of whether the promises of change that the prime minister made after the general election - such as engaging the people more - have taken root.

**** Still Trying Their Best ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/05/still-trying-their-best.html>
Singapore Notes

> Unlike cry baby Desmond Choo who turned on the tear spigot for maximum effect at the last PAP by-election rally at Hougang, party chairman Khaw Boon Wan resolutely admitted that the PAP is not perfect and the (present) government has its faults, but he added that he is confident the situation will improve significantly within the next 4 or 5 years. Which means those guys only started to earn their pay only after May 2011. What improvements PM contributed to the lives of Singaporeans since he ascended the throne in 2004 is an open question. His own report card after 8 years has this entry in 2011, "We're sorry we didn't get it exactly right, but I hope you will understand and bear with us because we are trying our best to fix the problems". Try harder. Add spurs.

**** Iskandar Lure For Singapore ****
<http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/5/26/business/11312587&sec=business>
Thean Lee Cheng, The Star

> Singapore has the means but lacks land while Johor has abundant land but lacks the means. Enter Iskandar Malaysia ...

Also: <a href="http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/5/26/business/11242245&sec=business">What are Iskandar’s attractions?</a> (Thean Lee Cheng, The Star)

**** The Younger Generation Is Still All Right ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/5/26/columnists/insightdownsouth/11361606&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> I thought I would write about my experience this week because I feel our country has reached a stage where its well-being now depends more on what its citizens do collectively – and less on the government.

**** A New Canvass Needed For Integration ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/616-a-new-canvass-needed-for-integration>
Ng Jing Song, Publichouse.sg

> So why not just alter these stories? Stories are not fluffy baseless generalisations. Singapore’s narrative, however inspiring and anxiety-inducing, is not unfounded propaganda. We certainly have to contend with the crunching competition from larger and better endowed communities. The “scrounger” receives partial validation from the statistic that a third of second-generation male Permanent Residents shirk their NS obligations. Perhaps the two thirds who stay behind could be incorporated into our national storyboard as more than “non-scroungers”. Perhaps re-colouring the narrative roles of immigration requires a lot more effort to correct the prevailing anxieties (kan chiong-ness) embedded in our consciousness. Perhaps to strive towards integration, we need a new canvas of stories.

**** MRT COI And "Safe To Fail" ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2012/05/mrt-coi-and-safe-to-fail.html>
Blogging For Myself

> I have been skeptical of the PM's "Safe to Fail" approach but I prefer to be wrong because I have misunderstood him. This is for all our sake.

There is a difference between doing something and fail, and not doing anything at all and fail.

**** NTUC Not Toothless Body, Says NTUC In An Advertorial? ****
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2012/05/ntuc-not-toothless-body-says-ntuc-in-an-advertorial.html>
Lee Kin Mun, mrbrown

> When I clicked through to the article about not being a toothless body, it looks like a news article. So is it an advertorial or a news article?

If this NTUC article turns out to be an advertisement, shame on Straits Times and SPH. And shame on NTUC for spending unnecessary money.

**** Three Reasons For Traffic Congestion ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_803126.html>
Al Nawaz Shamsuddin Sajwani, Straits Times

This writer blames the engineers, traffic police, and other "irresponsible" drivers, and missed out on one important reason: too many people driving too many cars.

**** FairPrice Pay Increase Shows Wage 'Shock Therapy' Possible ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_803273.html>
Tham Pui Ying, Straits Times

> There must be a collective will to help low-income workers move up, even though there may be no corresponding and immediate gain in productivity.

> If the salaries of high earners are capped or reined in during this period, such increases are manageable.

**** Help For Low-wage Workers 'Cannot Be One-off': Mdm Halimah ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120526-0000036/Help-for-low-wage-workers-cannot-be-one-off--Mdm-Halimah>
Woo Sian Boon, Today

> "Obviously, every year, one has to think about how to increase the basic wage for the low-income workers."

**** Credit The PAP In The 1960S, 70S, And 80S. Blame The PAP In The 1990S And 2000S. ****
<http://ayummysliceoflife.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/credit-the-pap-in-the-1960s-70s-and-80s-blame-the-pap-in-the-1990s-and-2000s/>
A Yummy Slice Of Life

> Yet in the 1990s and 2000s, while wage moderation continued of workers continued, Singapore’s social policies did not keep up. There were no major public policy innovations in social policy in the two decades, save for the prominence of Workfare. As Singaporean workers were hit harder and harder due to skill based technological change and the liberal influx of foreign workers, PAP and their civil servants fell asleep at the switch.

**** NTUC Has Teeth. Just Only A Few Left. ****
<http://ayummysliceoflife.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/ntuc-has-teeth-just-only-a-few-left/>
A Yummy Slice Of Life

> Yes, to be sure, the preservation of healthy industrial relations between the tripartite partners is a good and noble objective. So backroom deals out of the limelight may be justified to a small extent. However, these backroom deals severely weaken the union and advantage companies during negotiation, because the unions (and workers) cannot appeal to public outcry. Absent the immediate threat of mass public outcry and the associated reputation costs, companies have more leverage to tilt the negotiations to their demands. What can the unions do? Slam the table, shout in the conference room, walk out of the room. And that is about it.

**** Producing The Attention Whore Politician ****
<http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2012/05/producing-attention-whore-politician.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts

**** Natonal Paper Endorses Revenge Bullying, This Blogger Sees Red ****