[MyAppleMenu] May 17, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 17 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** "Nanny Computing" And The Future Of OS X ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/17/nanny-computing-and-the-future-of-os-x/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

> Apps which use hotkeys to let you jump to what you want to do while you work on what you must do. And they're on the way out of the Mac App Store as Apple paves the path to safer, more consumer-oriented computing.

> Apparently, Apple will allow hotkey apps that are already in the Mac App Store before June to offer only bug fixes. New apps and any apps that add features (i.e. non-bugfix releases) will not be allowed to support hotkeys.

I use FastScripts and Alfred daily. I will be sad if their future on the Mac are restricted.

**** Distributing 3000+ Copies Of An iOS Game ****
<http://sixtostart.com/onetoread/2012/distributing-3000-copies-of-an-ios-game/>
Six To Start

> One of the most common questions we get about the Zombies, Run! Kickstarter campaign is, “How did you distribute over 3000 copies of Zombies, Run! to backers when you only get 50 promo codes per version and 100 devices for internal testing?”

> It’s a crucial question because Kickstarter campaigns usually involve backers pre-ordering the product, and while that’s perfectly easy on platforms like Steam or Android, it’s more complicated – but not impossible – on iOS. But still pretty straightforward.

**** Off-the-shelf Forensics Tool Slurps iPhone Data Via iCloud ****
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/17/elcomsoft_data_retrieval_tool/>
John Leyden, The Register

> The enhancement to Elcomsoft Phone Password Breaker adds the capability to retrieve user data associated with iPhones from Apple's iCloud online backup service. Backups to multiple devices registered with the same Apple ID can be retrieved using the technology, providing investigators has access to a user's original Apple ID and password.

**** Apple Is Filtering “Jailbreak” Term In The US iTunes Store ****
<http://www.shoutpedia.com/apple-is-filtering-jailbreak-term-in-the-us-itunes-store-11080/>
Shoutpedia

> Apple is reportedly filtering the “Jailbreak” term from the iTunes items. All the categories are affected with this filter including Apps, songs, albums, podcast episodes, and iTunes U episodes. One of our readers told us that this filter is also blocking the term even in iBooks.

**** How To Reinstall The Mac App Store In Snow Leopard ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57435664-263/how-to-reinstall-the-mac-app-store-in-snow-leopard/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> The Mac App Store in OS X is Apple's new means for delivering software and OS upgrades to Mac users. Some people have removed the store from their systems to keep their OS free of commercial links, but doing so makes upgrading to OS X Lion or later versions of OS X much more cumbersome.

**** Remember Spaces On Your Mac? Here’s A Better Version: TotalSpaces ****
<http://teratalks.com/2012/05/remember-spaces-on-your-mac-heres-a-better-version-totalspaces/>
Tera Thomas O'Brien, Tera Talks

> What you get is Spaces with flare– multiple Desktops that are easy to manage with just the right blend of functional tools.

**** Why The iPad Works For Writing ****
<http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/why-the-ipad-works-for-writing.php>
John Paul Titlow, ReadWriteWeb

> I happen to write things for a living, but the practice is far from limited to those who earn a paycheck by doing it. Some of us just enjoy emptying the thoughts from our heads, while many others have a professional obligation to be good at communicating with words. Whatever one's purpose - journaling, drafting stories or composing work-related documents - the iPad is a pretty good place to put words together.

**** How I Went From 0 To $50K On The App Store(s) ****
<http://www.entrelife.com/2012/05/how-i-went-from-0-to-50k-on-app-stores.html>
EntreLife

> When you are working for someone else, the things you create make you money that month, and they make someone else money for months and years after that. When you work for yourself you don't make as much immediately, but you get to keep reaping the benefits month after month.

**** Open Your Ears For Radioline, A Cute Radio App ****
<http://www.cultofmac.com/167337/open-your-ears-for-radioline-a-cute-radio-app-review/>
Giles Turnbull, Cult Of Mac

**** iBook Lessons: Using Book Proofer To Preview EPUB Files ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/16/ibook-lessons-using-book-proofer-to-preview-epub-files/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

**** Computer Repair Is The New Lemonade Stand ****
<http://ifixit.org/2562/computer-repair-is-the-new-lemonade-stand/>
IFixIt

**** A Pocket-Size Recording Studio ****
<http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/a-pocket-size-recording-studio/>
John Biggs, New York Times

**** Paralyzed, Moving A Robot With Their Minds ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/science/bodies-inert-they-moved-a-robot-with-their-minds.html?_r=1>
Benedict Carey, New York Times

> Two people who are virtually paralyzed from the neck down have learned to manipulate a robotic arm with just their thoughts, using it to reach out and grab objects.

**** On Censorship ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/05/on-censorship-salman-rushdie.html>
Salman Rushdie, New Yorker

> No writer ever really wants to talk about censorship. Writers want to talk about creation, and censorship is anti-creation, negative energy, uncreation, the bringing into being of non-being, or, to use Tom Stoppard’s description of death, “the absence of presence.”

**** Book Review: 'Second Person Singular' By Sayed Kashua ****
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-book-sayed-kashua-20120517,0,1971928.story>
Scott Martelle, Los Angeles Times

> Early in the novel, "Second Person Singular," a main character known throughout the book as "the lawyer" reads a note in his wife's handwriting. "I waited for you, but you didn't come," the note says. "I hope everything's all right. I wanted to thank you for last night. It was wonderful. Call me tomorrow?"

> The sense of intimacy leaps off the page. But the note was not written for the lawyer. It fell out of a copy of Tolstoy's "The Kreutzer Sonata" he had just bought from a used-book store.

**** The Proxy Marriage ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2012/05/21/120521fi_fiction_meloy?currentPage=all>
Maile Meloy, New Yorker

**** Welcome To Hotel Singapore ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/05/welcome-to-hotel-singapore.html>
Singapore Notes

> Singapore is the destination of choice for their one-night stands, to juice up on their "creativity", and then hop on to the next port of call.

**** From Attacking WP To Attacking YSL So To Make The BE Local ****
<http://pijitailai.blogspot.com/2012/05/from-attacking-wp-to-attacking-ysl-so.html>
Piji Tailai

**** Don't Confuse Issues In By-election: Desmond Choo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201896/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

> "This by-election is really about selecting a candidate that can best serve the long-term interests of the residents," he said.

> "So do not mix up the democracy part with providing alternative voices and the real purpose of this by-election, which is that Hougang residents need somebody to take care of them."

**** PM Lee Expresses Sadness Over Loss Of Lives In Ferrari Crash ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201879/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** DPM Teo Tells TP To Be Tougher On Reckless Drivers ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120517-346478.html>
AsiaOne

> Giving his condolences to the families of the victims, he added that he revealed to those present at the meeting that he told the traffic police to be tougher on speeding and reckless driving.

**** Ngiam Tong Dow: Wealth Creation Or Management ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2012/05/ngiam-tong-dow-wealth-creation-or.html>
Blogging For Myself

> Entrepreneurs are in short supply everywhere and nobody knows how to make them. They are fascinating to watch especially in America, but we are clueless on how to reproduce them. Therefore in the end, NTD thesis is very interesting but could largely be academic.

**** Sari, We Made A Mistake? ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/sari-we-made-a-mistake/>
Andrew Loh

> Not too long ago, a minister – as our ministers are wont to do rather regularly – praised the local mainstream media as “accurate, timely and balanced.”

> I hope the mainstream media will live up to such lofty claims and gold standard accolades.

**** Why We Need Opposition In Singapore ****
<http://javertworld.blogspot.com/2012/05/year-after-ge-2010-and-now-hougang-is.html>
Javert's World

**** WP's Png To Champion Transport, Education & Wage Issues ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201810/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

> He told reporters that he will focus on convincing voters that it is important for The Workers' Party to retain the seat of Hougang on Polling Day.

**** 儿将服役母担忧 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/jl120517_002.shtml>
蔡彬, 联合早报

> 既然国民服役人员中每五人就有一人患有哮喘病,比例如此之高,当局是否能制订一套针对有哮喘病史的服役人员适合的训练方案呢?这样既能达到强身健体,将来一旦需要又能保家卫国的目的,又能宽慰所有正在或即将进行国民服役的孩子和父母。

> 我儿子现年17岁,眼看就要到国民服役的年龄了,而且他也有哮喘病史,所以我非常地担心。希望当局能够重视这20%,不算低的比例,尽快出台比较完善的预防和应对措施。亡羊补牢,犹未晚也。

**** Good Service, Bad Service ****
<http://www.e-scott.net/blog/?p=485>
Scott's Weblog

**** All Ups And One Down. ****
<http://xuyun74.blogspot.com/2012/05/all-ups-and-one-down.html>
Transitional Eternity

> Although the figures shown here is a very raw form of illustration, it serves to highlight the fact that our workers generally are at a losing end where wage increase is subject totally to the mercy of business owners or top executives. And there is no organization or a strong and independent trade union, much less the ruling party, to literally fight for the welfare of our workers who were shortchanged in the first place.

**** The First Of The Supper Clubs… ****
<http://dishpiglets.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/the-first-of-the-supper-clubs/>
Dish Piglets

> Having never heard of supper clubs, I was intrigued when I came across Plusixfive. Gozgozgoz, the guy behind Plusixfive (dialling code for Singapore actually…) holds a supper club at his home in Islington serving: “badass Singaporean street food cooked the good ol’ way, presented with minimum fuss and maximum taste.”

**** Wealth Creator Versus Wealth Manager ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/05/wealth-creator-versus-wealth-manager.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** Hairline Cracks: SMRT Says Rails Safe But It'll Do More Checks ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_799809.html>
Straits Times

> SMRT on Wednesday gave the assurance that the hairline cracks discovered on some third rail joints on the North-South and East-West lines do not affect the integrity of its rail or pose safety concerns.

> But it said it will take the additional precaution of checking all 13,000 pairs of third rail joints that are in similar conditions to where the hairline cracks were found.

**** WP Disunity Is Worrying: Khaw Boon Wan ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_799799.html>
Toh Yong Chuan, Straits Times

> A party that had members being sacked or quitting due to unhappiness with its leadership, he said, would find it difficult to run a country.

> 'If within the party, you cannot remain united, can you imagine if you're in power?' asked the national development minister. 'How do you run a country?'

**** 侧记:开了谁的玩笑? ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120517_011.shtml>
郭丽娟, 联合早报

> 随着这一番解释,“傅日源风波”算是有个了结,但我始终搞不清楚他这么一闹,究竟是开了自己一个玩笑,或者是在开工人党的玩笑。

**** Once Condition Is Detected, It's Uninsurable ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_799589.html>
Tan Suee Chieh, Straits Times

> Insurance is fundamentally designed to cover against the unknown. Once a condition is diagnosed or detected, it is uninsurable because the likelihood of claims arising from it becomes much higher or even a certainty. In doing so, we are protecting the interests of all our policyholders.

> Our philosophy of 'People before profits' does not mean we do not underwrite according to sound insurance principles.

**** Electronic Signboards Complement Real-time Traffic News: LTA ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_799723.html>
Helen Lim, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times

> By early next year, we will roll out the travel time display along arterial roads on the Emas arterial signboards that we recently installed along six major arterial corridors.

I am not a driver, but I think Emas is a useless feature. It requires one thing from drivers that you really don't want the drivers to do: think and make mathematical calculations while driving.

**** Sorry, Fault Was Entirely Ours: SingTel ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_799710.html>
YUen Kuan Moon, SingTel, Straits Times

> We apologise and take full responsibility for the incident. We are sorry for letting our customers down and certainly do not blame them in any way.

> The intense channel switching was understandable and we anticipated a surge, but not of this magnitude.

No weasel apologies here.

**** Online Views: Let's Not Take The Xenophobic Road ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_799721.html>
Toh Cheng Seong, Straits Times

> I hope the authorities and all major political parties can come together to condemn these negative remarks as well as content providers who condone such postings.

**** Respect S'pore Laws: Chinese Embassy ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_799715.html>
Wen Penghui, Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Singapore, Straits Times

> We are saddened and regret this unfortunate accident.

> We offer our sincere and deep condolences to the victims and their families.

> We hope that Chinese citizens living in Singapore will respect life, value the safety of themselves and others, abide by its laws and regulations, and live responsibly and gracefully.

**** How To Foster Good Science In Singapore? ****
<http://biologyrefugia.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-foster-good-science-in-singapore.html>
The Biology Refugia

> It's not about how many citations or high-impact papers we can garner. It's about whether we can build a self-sustaining research community that will renew itself by training new scientists. Instead of importing "big names" (the top-down model), let's find a better way to nurture the talent we already have (the bottom-up model).

**** Singapore: Books Actually ****
<http://blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/2012/05/singapore-books-actually.html>
Blue Eyed Night Owl

**** The Totally Useful Guide To The Singapore Arts Festival…NOT! ****
<http://jeremyyew.com/2012/05/17/the-totally-useful-guide-to-the-singapore-arts-festival-not/>
Jeremy Yew

**** What Population Control Did For Singapore ****
<http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=807836&publicationSubCategoryId=64>
Bobit S. Avila, The Philippine Star

**** A Tragic Accident Evokes Intense Emotions... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2012/05/tragic-accident-evokes-intense-emotions.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** Why PES System Needs A Review ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120517-0000090/Why-PES-system-needs-a-review>
Yeo Seow Woon, Today

> Protocols should be reviewed and changes implemented with regard to PES classification and triage when accidents occur during training.

**** Tariff Changes Mainly Due To Fuel Price Changes ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120517-0000037/Tariff-changes-mainly-due-to-fuel-price-changes>
Edwin Seah, Energy Market Authority, Today

> Tariffs do fall in tandem with decreases in fuel prices. Fuel cost accounts for about half the tariff. It is therefore logical for the change in electricity tariff to be smaller than the change in fuel prices.

> Electricity tariffs are also affected by quarterly fluctuations in the non-fuel cost components, such as capital and operating costs, as well as an adjustment component to account for the variation between forecasted and actual electricity consumption.

**** Singapore 'Should Nurture Wealth Creators, Not Just Wealth Managers' ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120517-0000074/Singapore-should-nurture-wealth-creators,-not-just-wealth-managers>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

> "After Dr Goh retired from the Government in 1986, there is no one to replace him as our wealth creator," he added. "The Government of Singapore Investment Corporation and Temasek (Holdings) are sovereign wealth managers for our national savings and reserves. They are not wealth creators."

> Temasek in particular, Mr Ngiam felt, is supposed to be a wealth creator, but are just being "fund managers"

I think similar things can also be said about the difference between the three prime ministers.

**** Shhh Are Some Singaporens...Stupid? ****
<http://pratapolitics.blogspot.com/2012/05/shhh-are-some-singaporensstupid.html>
Prata Politics

> The deaths have little to do with the driver's nationality and everything to do with his horrific driving skills and state of mind right there.

**** What You Will Not See On Local TV On Nomination Day In Hougang 16 May 2012 ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-you-will-not-see-on-local-tv-on.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

**** Disproving ‘Minority Representation Rule’ In GRCs Mathematically ****
<http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=38583>
Chan Jia Hui, New Asia Republic

> It is a mathematically simple proof really. The votes of the minority are subjected to the tyranny of the majority. So, even if the minority community vote in an overwhelmingly majority fashion for a political party because the former likes the party’s programmes, everything can still be undone as the ultimate result is influenced by majority of the voters.

**** BE Vs GE ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/be-vs-ge/>
Political Writings

> Unless a by-election can affect a ruling party’s 2/3rd majority in Parliament or in some way challenge the authority of a ruling party in Parliament, there is no reason why anyone should look at the big picture when electing his replacement MP.

> Unless a by-election can affect a ruling party’s 2/3rd majority in Parliament or in some way challenge the authority of a ruling party in Parliament, there is no reason why anyone should look at the big picture when electing his replacement MP.

**** Hougang By-election: Nomination Day And Workers’ Party Press Conference ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/hougang-by-election-nomination-day-and-workers-party-press-conference/>
Cheong Yaoming, The Online Citizen