[MyAppleMenu] May 16, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 16 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Apple's Tim Cook Heads To US House Of Representatives ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/apple-business/news/?newsid=3357968>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

**** InDesign CS6 Overhauls Digital Publishing Workflow To Offer Versatile New Options And Format Capabilities ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166744/indesign_cs6_overhauls_digital_publishing_workflow_to_offer_versatile_new_options_and_format_capabi.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jay J. Nelson, Macworld

> Adobe has a winner of an upgrade in InDesign CS6. The combination of improvements to its digital publishing tools, PDF forms authoring, language support, and dozens of workflow refinements make this an upgrade that will surely pay for itself.

**** Apple Moves Toward Larger iPhone Screens ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303360504577407610487811698.html>
Lorraine Luk And Juro Osawa, Wall Street Journal

> Apple Inc., which is expected to launch its next-generation iPhone later this year, has ordered screens from its Asian suppliers that are bigger than the ones used in iPhones since they debuted in 2007, people familiar with the situation said.

> Production is set to begin next month for the screens, which measure at least 4 inches diagonally compared with 3.5 inches on the iPhone 4S, the latest phone from Apple, the people said.

**** Apple's Siri Set A New Bar For Voice Control, Says Nuance ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/9268676/Apples-Siri-set-a-new-bar-for-voice-control-says-Nuance.html>
Matt Warman, The Telegraph

> Peter Mahoney, Nuance’s Chief Marketing Officer, said that Apple was popularising voice technology just as they had popularised digital music or the computer mouse. He said voice commands were growing in popularity as more processing power became available, and claimed that adoption has now “reached the elbow in the curve”.

> He admitted that there was a long way to go before voice technology achieved “full Star Trek-ness”, but he said that Apple’s Siri voice assistant was “driving a real, unprecedented renaissance in interest around voice”.

**** Anatomy An iTunes Store Account Hack ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/anatomy-an-itunes-store-account-hack/12954>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** Apple QuickTime Update For Windows Only; Macs Already Secure ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57435059-263/apple-quicktime-update-for-windows-only-macs-already-secure/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Polycom Brings Video Streaming To Apple, Google Devices ****
<http://www.eweek.com/c/a/VOIP-and-Telephony/Polycom-Brings-Video-Streaming-to-Apple-Google-Devices-746511/>
Jeffrey Burt, eWeek

**** Flipboard Expands: Adds Audio From NPR, Public Radio & SoundCloud; Introduces Japanese Version ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/15/flipboard-expands-adds-audio-from-npr-public-radio-soundcloud-introduces-japanese-version/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

> “Social magazine” Flipboard may have to think up a new tagline for itself, as tonight the company is rolling out an update which greatly expands its focus beyond text-based content to also include audio. The rollout features integrations from NPR, PRI (Public Radio International) and social sound platform, SoundCloud.

**** Judge Comes Down Hard On Publishers, Apple In E-book Case ****
<http://paidcontent.org/2012/05/15/judge-comes-down-hard-on-publishers-apple-in-e-book-case/>
Jeff John Roberts, PaidContent

**** Automatically Zoom Safari Pages On Launch ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166811/automatically_zoom_safari_pages_on_launch.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christpher Breen, Macworld

Two ways to make text larger automatically in your web browser. (When I first read the headline, I thought Christopher Breen is going to tell us how to automatically <i>smart</i> zoom. I would like that.)

**** Brent Simmons Talks Glassboard 2.0, Making A ‘Path For Work’ And Doing Cross-platform Right ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/05/15/brent-simmons-talks-glassboard-2-0-making-a-path-for-work-and-doing-cross-platform-right/>
Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web

> Glassboard, a communications app for small businesses and groups, has gotten a stellar update, bringing a completely redesigned app with improved notifications, new navigation and file sharing support. More importantly, it’s good enough that it could help you kill off a ton of the email mucking up your creative process.

**** To-do App Due Delights On The Mac ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166809/to_do_app_due_delights_on_the_mac.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> Due provides just enough task-tracking functionality without the hassle of a full-featured GTD app, allowing me to actually get things done—instead of spending the day making lists.

**** A Smartphone That Can Sniff Out Sickness? ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/helloworld/27851/>
David Zax, Technology Review

**** Baidu’s New Forked Android Phone: China’s Search Giant Wants To Make Windows Phone, iOS Versions Too ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/15/baidus-new-forked-android-phone-chinas-search-giant-wants-to-make-windows-phone-ios-versions-too/>
Ingrid Lunden, TechCrunch

> “We want Baidu’s Cloud Smart Terminal to function as a platform that sits on top of all operating systems, such as Windows Phone and iOS,” Kaiser Kuo, a spokesperson for Baidu, told TechCrunch today.

**** Is It Time To Get Rid Of Traffic Lights? ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18072259>
Martin Cassini, BBC

> We rely on traffic lights to tell us when to go. And when to stop. We should replace that with common sense.

**** Is Death Bad For You? ****
<http://chronicle.com/article/Is-Death-Bad-for-You-/131818/>
Shelly Kagan, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

> But if death is my end, how can it be bad for me to die? After all, once I'm dead, I don't exist. If I don't exist, how can being dead be bad for me?

**** The Image Of A Man You Do Not See ****
<http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/07/post_1.html>
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

> Much modern architecture has grown tiresome to me. It does not gladden the heart. It doesn't seem to spring from humans. It seems drawn from mathematical axioms rather than those learned for centuries from the earth, the organic origins of building materials, the reach of hands and arms, and that which is pleasing to the eye. It is not harmonious. It holds the same note indefinitely.

> It was not always so.

**** Why I Still Write Poetry ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/may/15/why-i-still-write-poetry/>
Charles Simic, The New York Review Of Books

> When my mother was very old and in a nursing home, she surprised me one day toward the end of her life by asking me if I still wrote poetry. When I blurted out that I still do, she stared at me with incomprehension. I had to repeat what I said, till she sighed and shook her head, probably thinking to herself this son of mine has always been a little nuts. Now that I’m in my seventies, I’m asked that question now and then by people who don’t know me well. Many of them, I suspect, hope to hear me say that I’ve come my senses and given up that foolish passion of my youth and are visibly surprised to hear me confess that I haven’t yet. They seem to think there is something downright unwholesome and even shocking about it, as if I were dating a high school girl, at my age, and going with her roller-skating that night.

**** In China’s Shadow ****
<http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/06/hong-kong/paterniti-text>
Michael Paterniti, National Geographic Magazine

> Fifteen years after the handover to mainland China, Hong Kong residents worry that their identity—and their freedoms—are slipping away.

**** Almost Autumn ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2012/05/_almost_autumn_by_angie_estes_.html>
Angie Estes, Slate

**** Cable Ties Should Not Be Permanent Solution: SMRT COI ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201690/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

> At Wednesday's hearing, the experts said they believe the use of cable ties to secure rail claws on the MRT lines is acceptable.

> But they added that it must not be a permanent solution.

**** All Singaporeans Should Leave Singapore ****
<http://livingbe.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/all-singaporeans-should-leave-singapore/>
Living In Beauty & Excellence

**** I Will Fight For Mandate To Do More For Residents: Desmond Choo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201648/1/.html>
Vimita Mohandas, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Desmond Choo, the People's Action Party candidate for the Hougang by-election, said he was going to fight for every single vote in Hougang to win a mandate to do more for voters in the constituency.

**** Facebook Co-founder Saverin To Stay In Singapore ****
<http://news.ph.msn.com/regional/facebook-co-founder-saverin-to-stay-in-singapore>
AFP

> Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin intends to stay in Singapore but has no plans to take up citizenship .

**** Workers' Party's Png Eng Huat Runs "No-frills" Campaign ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201636/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

> Relying less on social media, Mr Png said he prefers to speak to residents personally, going door-to-door.

**** The Ferrari Accident And Illegal Street Racing In Singapore ****
<http://gigomole.blogspot.com/2012/05/ferrari-accident-and-illegal-street.html>
The Gigamole Diaries

**** High Court To Proceed With Hougang By-election Case ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201614/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia

> No date has been fixed yet.

**** Jollibee Soon To Open In Singapore ****
<http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/05/16/12/jollibee-open-singapore>
ABS-CBNnews.com

> Singaporeans will soon get a taste of Chickenjoy, Yum burger and Jolly Spaghetti, as the Philippines' biggest fast food chain Jollibee is laying the groundwork to finally open a store in the city-state.

**** Rally Sites For Hougang By-election Released ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120516-346251.html>
AsiaOne

> These sites are the Hougang stadium and the open field in front of Blk 837, bounded by Hougang Ave 4 and Hougang Central.

**** It's An Embarrassing Situation, But There's No Rift In Party: Low ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120516-0000114/Its-an-embarrassing-situation,-but-theres-no-rift-in-party--Low>
Today

> "People saying WP is splitting are just people from the outside trying to break the party up," said Mr Low today at a press conference after the by-election candidates were announced.

> He said Dr Poh had not told the WP leadership of his plans to be an "unofficial backup" candidate but he should have so that they "would not have been caught by surprise".

**** Straight Fight In Hougang By-election ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201596/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The Hougang by-election on May 26 is set to be a straight fight between Mr Png Eng Huat of the Workers' Party (WP) and Mr Desmond Choo of the People's Action Party (PAP) after nomination closed at noon on Wednesday.

**** 新加坡称中国富人移民是“富豪蝗虫” ****
<http://phtv.ifeng.com/program/zbjsj/detail_2012_05/16/14562484_0.shtml>
杜平, 凤凰卫视

**** Independent Zeng Guoyan Disqualified From By-election ****
<http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120516-346217.html>
AsiaOne

> Mr Zeng tells media that he was barred from running because of a fine in 2008. He had verbally abused police officers when they entered a shophouse he was in in 2008.

**** WP's Poh: I'm The Unofficial Backup Plan ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120516-0000106/WPs-Poh--Im-the-unofficial-backup-plan>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

> When asked if he was afraid the WP will take action against him, with suggestions he might be given the boot, Dr Poh said: "We'll see about that later, but I'm doing this for the party."

**** The Hidden Consequences Of Massive Immigration ****
<http://flaneurose.blogspot.com/2012/05/hidden-consequences-of-massive.html>
Flâneurose

**** Majority Of Singaporeans Will Not Be Directly Affected By Inflation? Who Should We Believe? ****
<http://jentrifiedcitizen.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/the-majority-of-singaporeans-will-not-be-directly-affected-by-inflation-who-should-we-believe/>
Jentrified Citizen

**** Something Else For Singapore To Brag About ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/05/16/here’s-something-else-for-singapore-to-brag-about/?mod=google_news_blog>
Alex Frangos, Wall Street Journal

> The index measures how easy and inexpensive it is to move goods through a country based on several criteria, including the quality of ports and rail, competence of transport companies, the ability to track goods, and prevalence of bribe solicitation. Singapore scored the top score of 4.13 out of 5. Hong Kong was just behind with 4.12. Japan was 8th overall with a score of 3.93, the same as the U.S.

**** Are Singaporeans Becoming Anti-foreigner? ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/are-singaporeans-becoming-racist-.html>
Daniel Teo, Yahoo!

**** SMRT To Replace Power-supplying 3Rd Rail At Some Locations: LTA ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_799485.html>
Straits Times

> SMRT will be replacing, with immediate effect, the power-supplying third rail at locations where hairline cracks on some parts of third rail joints are visible, a press statement from the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said.

**** 公路上骑脚踏车安全吗? ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/fk/fk120516_016.shtml>
朱桦, 联合早报

> 以下的一些“小贴士”,是我累积在路上骑脚踏车5万公里所得到的一些心得,希望可以帮助大家趋吉避凶。

Tips for riding bicycles safely on Singapore roads.

**** Loving Chek Jawa To Death? ****
<http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2012/05/loving-chek-jawa-to-death.html>
Wild Shores Of Singapore

**** North Korea Tries To Drum Up Investment In Southeast Asia ****
<http://www.voanews.com/content/north_korea_investment_southeast_asia/666498.html>
Kate Lamb, Voice Of America

**** Anti-Chinese Sentiment In Singapore Up Following Ferrari Crash Caused By Sichuan Man ****
<http://shanghaiist.com/2012/05/16/ferrari-crash-singapore.php>
Shanhaiist

> Anti-Chinese sentiment in Singapore is up following the accident, and outraged netizens have left thousands of angry comments on websites, bulletin boards and social networks.

> The Temasek Times, a widely-read and largely anti-foreign news website, lambasted journalists from the mainstream media who "did not think nationality is an issue".

**** Singapore: Little Tiger With A Big Military Roar ****
<http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/341355/20120515/singapore-military-defense-spending-china-u-s.htm>
International Business Times

> While Asian giants China and India rapidly build up their already huge military arsenals, the tiny, prosperous Southeast Asian city-state of Singapore has been quietly ramping up defense expenditures at a rate disproportionate to its size and population.

> Almost one-fourth of Singapore's national budget will be spent on defense this year, making the Defense Ministry the No. 1 recipient of the budget allocation.

**** NS: PRs Who Don't Serve Will Face Adverse Consequences ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_799326.html>
Kenneth Liow, Mindef, Straits Times

> NS-liable PRs who fail to register or enlist for national service will be treated as national service defaulters. PRs who renounce their PR status without serving national service will also face adverse consequences. Their failure to serve national service will be taken into account when they subsequently apply to study or work in Singapore, or when they try to have their PR status reinstated.

**** You Mean To Tell Me It’s Not The Elected WP MP’ Job To Care For Me ? ****
<http://sghardtruth.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/you-mean-to-tell-me-its-not-the-elected-wp-mp-job-to-care-for-me/>
Bryan Ti, SG Hard Truth

**** Hougang Is Like Part Of A Bigger Scheme Of Things ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/05/hougang-is-like-part-of-bigger-scheme.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** ‘Major’ SMRT Disruption Along North-South Line With No Services Between Khatib And Yio Chu Kang MRT Stations Yesterday Evening ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/major-smrt-disruption-along-north-south-line-with-no-services-between-khatib-and-yio-chu-kang-mrt-stations-yesterday-evening/>
The Temasek Times

> A ‘major’ train disruption lasting more than thirty minutes occurred yesterday evening along the North-South line with no services between Khatib and Yio Chu Kang stations at around 6pm yesterday evening, causing thousands of commuters to be stranded on their way home.

Previous: <a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_786869.html"> Govt To Minimise Major MRT Disruptions: Lui Tuck Yew</a> (Straits Times, Apr 9, 2012): The Government will try to minimise major disruptions of more than 30 minutes, Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said on Monday, even as he warned that some disruptions and defects on the heavily-used MRT were 'unavoidable'.

**** A Case For Getting Out ****
<http://desparatebeep.blogspot.com/2012/05/case-for-getting-out.html>
Tang Li, Desparatebeep

> Government must get back to basics and become a neutral referee rather than a shareholder with a vested interest in one side of the game. It’s only then that people will start believing that the government has its interest at heart and interested in looking after all parties.

**** Experts Warn Of Third-rail Cracks On NS, EW Lines ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_799444.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

> A six-member team of technical experts told the Committee of Inquiry on Tuesday that the power-supplying third rail of the North-South and East-West train lines could have hairline cracks. It is therefore asking for immediate checks to be carried out.

**** Chinese Netizens Slam Driver As 'Spoilt Brat' ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_799448.html>
Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times

**** An Inclusive Society - Is It A Dream ? ****
<http://eviltwininsingapore.blogspot.com/2012/05/inclusive-society-is-it-dream.html>
Eviltwin In Singapore

**** Nomination Day For Hougang By-election ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201516/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> Nomination papers can be filed between 11am and 12pm. Half an hour is then set aside for any objections to be raised.

> The outcome of the nomination proceedings is expected to be known just after 12.30pm, when Returning Officer Yam Ah Mee will declare the results of the nomination procedures.

**** Two Examples Of How ST Covers FTs ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/two-examples-of-how-st-covers-fts/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Increase In ERP Rates Baffling ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120516-0000078/Increase-in-ERP-rates-baffling>
Sandra Alison Jayandran, Today

> Having heavy morning traffic on the CTE is normal and one would be hard-pressed to call it a traffic jam. Once past a certain point on the CTE, the traffic speeds up.

Doesn't the MRT problems teach us that it is not okay to call "heavy morning traffic" normal?

**** By-election Surprise ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120516-0000069/By-election-surprise>
Ng Jing Yng And Teo Xuanwei, Today

> Dr Poh's move - coming days after former WP GE candidate Sanjiv Kamalasanan had resigned from the party and publicly criticised its leadership - has raised longer-term questions on the unity within the Opposition party.

**** Cost Of Living Among National Issues On Hougang Residents' Minds ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120516-0000019/Cost-of-living-among-national-issues-on-Hougang-residents-minds>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

> Issues affecting all Singaporeans - such as the cost of living and the influx of foreigners - are weighing on the minds of Hougang residents as they prepare to head to the ballot box in less than two weeks, at least going by a majority of those Today spoke to.

> "Singapore is so small that it will be absurd to discuss 'local' issues without any consideration of national policies," said freelance writer Dorothy Tan, 28.

**** Is Madoff In The House? ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/05/is-madoff-in-house.html>
Singapore Notes

> If, as the professor asks, the Singapore government enjoyed free cash flow from budget surpluses and borrowing totaling S$512 billion between 1991 and 2002, where did the money go?

**** The Ferrari Tragedy: Of Speeding To Conclusions ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/the-ferrari-tragedy-of-speeding-to-conclusions/>
Kwan Jin Yao, Guanyinmiao's Musings