[MyAppleMenu] May 14, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 14 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Mobile Printing Gets Easier With Or Without AirPrint ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166606/mobile_printing_gets_easier_with_or_without_airprint.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Derrick Story, Macworld

**** Keeping Your MobileMe Email Address Without iCloud ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13002?rss>
Joe Kissell, TidBITS

**** How To Harden Your Smartphone Against stalkers—iPhone Edition ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/05/how-to-harden-your-smartphone-against-stalkers-iphone-edition/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> Our anti-stalking guide for iPhone users spells out the subtle (and often invisible) ways in which someone could track you via your own phone, and it teaches you how to change your settings to keep yourself in control.

**** Apple's Biggest Innovation: The Swipe? ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/gyro/2012/05/14/apples-biggest-innovation-the-swipe/>
Scott GIllum, Forbes

> Apple’s impact on design has enjoyed much acclaim and is noticeable in almost any new technology designed. But what may be overlooked is the impact Apple has had on the user experience and how users interact with technologies. And that impact goes far beyond just Apple devices.

**** Accessorizing Your MacBook Air ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/05/14/accessorizing-your-macbook-air/>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

**** An Alarming Abundance Of Alerts ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13000?rss>
Joe Kissell, TidBITS

> At 3:00 PM yesterday, I had a meeting scheduled across town, and in order to ensure that I remembered in plenty of time to get there, I had set an alert to go off an hour ahead of time. Precisely as requested, at 2:00 PM, my iMac beeped and flashed a reminder on its screen. So did my MacBook Pro. And my iPhone 4S, and my old iPhone 4 that I now use for testing. And my new iPad, and my iPad 2 that’s still in use. And my wife’s Mac, and her iPhone, and her iPad, since I shared my calendar with her. That’s right: Nine devices in our household beeped and displayed reminders for the very same event!

**** An Unfruitful Policy ****
<http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/may/13/nevada-apple-taxes-policy/>
Las Vegas Sun

> Apple’s Braeburn Capital is the fruit of policies based on the belief that low taxes are the elixir sure to cure all the state’s economic ills.

> What has happened is that companies like Apple might register here and open a small office or a warehouse to take advantage of the tax structure, but they do little else. Sure, that’s better than nothing, but that’s hardly the way to build or diversify the economy.

**** Steve Jobs Didn't Invent Design, But He Patented It ****
<http://www.npr.org/2012/05/13/152590769/for-steve-jobs-patents-kept-beauty-of-design-alive>
NPR

> Though most companies file design and product patents simply to keep their property safe, Isaacson says Jobs' motives were slightly different: Jobs was promoting the value of design as well as function.

Design is a function.

**** Safari's 'Disable Flash' Feature Does Less Than It Promises ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/safaris-disable-flash-feature-does-less-than-it-promises/5016>
Ed Bott, ZDNet

> In other words, if you installed Flash Player 10.1.102.64 on your Mac in November 2010 (or later), Apple considers your installation “up to date.” That was more than 18 months ago. Since that time, Adobe has delivered 17 Flash Player updates that affected the Windows, Macintosh, and Linux platforms.

**** Meet Your Neighbors, If Only Online ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/business/on-nextdoorcom-social-networks-for-neighbors.html?gwh=6F798B907AC2E2E0C7AD3C08348274C4>
Randall Stross, New York Times

**** Down With Training Wheels ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2012/05/training_wheels_don_t_work_balance_bikes_teach_children_how_to_ride_.html>
Nicholas Day, Slate

> For generations, training wheels have been the standard way of not teaching children how to ride a bike. It’s a time-honored childhood ritual: fumble with wrench, remove tiny wheels, watch child fall on face, repeat.

> It doesn’t have to be like this.

**** Hold On Tight ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/05/12/hold_on_tight/>
Leonard Mlodinow, Salon

> Science shows that closeness with others doesn't just help us cope with pain -- it makes us live longer.

**** Fresh Hell ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2010/06/14/100614crat_atlarge_miller>
Laura Miller, New Yorker

> What’s behind the boom in dystopian fiction for young readers?

**** SingTel Apologises For Mio TV Service Disruptions ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201197/1/.html>
Melissa Chong, Channel NewsAsia

> Instead of the two late winning goals by EPL champions Manchester City, all fans saw were frozen frames of the finale.

> To make matters worse, Manchester United fan Lucas Karl Xavier said he dialled SingTel's customer hotline, only to hang up after he was put on hold for 20 minutes.

**** Maintenance Issues Continue To Dominate SMRT COI ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201201/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Is On Its Way To Becoming An Iconic Smart City ****
<http://www.fastcoexist.com/1679819/singapore-is-on-its-way-to-becoming-an-iconic-smart-city>
Boyd Cohen, Co.Exist

**** The Best Career Tips I Learned From My Homemaker Mom ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/worldviews/2012/05/14/the-best-career-tips-i-learned-from-my-homemaker-mom/>
Ruchika Tulshyan, Forbes

> Until recently, I was the co-founder of my family company, in Singapore. It was one of the most challenging, yet rewarding experiences of my life. Unexpectedly, I learned the best career tips from my stay-at-home mom.

**** Vehicle Quota System Still Relevant: Lui Tuck Yew ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120514-345934.html>
AsiaOne

> Mr Lui said that the Vehicle Quota System (VQS) was necessary to keep the growth of Singapore's vehicle population at a sustainable rate.

> He added that a 'pay as you bid' system to curb excessive bidding for the COE was not feasible.

**** Singapore Trade Minister: To Continue Measures To Tackle High Inflation ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304371504577403263709501458.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Wall Street Journal

> "The government has implemented fiscal and macro-prudential measures to cool the property market. Where we can increase supply and moderate supply constraints to relieve cost pressures in the housing, industrial and other property segments, we have also done so directly," the minister said.

> The central bank unexpectedly tightened its currency policy at its semiannual policy review in April, placing the Singapore dollar on a slightly steeper appreciation path against a basket of currencies of its key trading partners.

**** 3D Artist Wows Travelers At Singapore's Changi Airport ****
<http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/play/worlds-greatest-3d-art-singapores-international-airport-983040>
Aimee Chan, CNNGo

> You might forgive fellow travelers at Singapore's Changi International Airport for doing something this summer that rushing passengers usually shouldn't do -- stop and stare at the floor.

**** Public To Be Consulted Before Public Transport Fares Adjustment Review ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201190/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> A new fare formula will be ready in 2013 after fare adjustments were suspended this year.

> Mrs Teo said the outcome of the review should be a framework that continues to achieve a good balance between keeping public transport fares affordable and keeping public transport operations sustainable.

**** LTA To Get Powers To Run Bus Services Enhancement Programme ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201187/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The Ministry of Transport said the programme, which will commence this year, will involve LTA contracting bus operators to expand public bus capacity significantly over the next 5 years.

> The proposed amendments are required to confer on LTA clear functions to contract with bus operators to provide bus services to deliver the programme.

**** Teo Soh Lung - 25 Years Since Operation Spectrum ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/593-teo-soh-lung-25-years-since-operation-spectrum>
Loke Hoe Yeong, Publichouse.sg

**** Ferrari Crash Fuels Singapore Xenophobia ****
<http://news.msn.co.nz/worldnews/8467380/ferrari-crash-fuels-singapore-xenophobia>
AAP

> A wealthy Chinese expatriate who crashed his Ferrari into a taxi, killing himself and two others has sparked outrage in Singapore, where xenophobia is on the rise.

> The accident came two months after a Malaysian cleaner at Singapore's Changi Airport was killed after he was hit by a taxi hijacked by a Chinese guest worker.

> The government's more open immigration policy was a hot issue during the general elections in May 2011 in which the ruling People's Action Party garnered an all-time low of 60 per cent of the vote.

**** Public Asked To Help Maintain Order On Nomination Day ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201153/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Police have reminded the public and party supporters to help ensure public order at the Nomination Centre, Serangooon Junior College, on Nomination Day on May 16 for the by-election in Hougang constituency.

Also: <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201150/1/.html">Campaign Activities Rules For Hougang By-Election Announced</a> (Channel NewsAsia).

**** Hougang Resident Not Backing Down From Court Case ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/hougang-resident-not-backing-down-court-case-085518768.html>
Kai Fong, Yahoo!

**** S'pore's Population Challenge Serious But Not Insurmountable: DPM Teo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201145/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

**** Safety Of Servicemen Top Priority For MINDEF And SAF, Says Defence Minister ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201132/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> Dr Ng said every incident resulting in injury or death gets top management priority to make it right.

Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201163/1/.html">MP Lim Wee Kiak Urges SAF To Review Allergy Testing Policy</a> (Channel NewsAsia).</i>
<li><a href="http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120514-345893.html">1 In 5 SAF Servicemen Has Asthma: Defence Minister</a> (AsiaOne).</li>
</ul>

**** Hougang Local? ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/591-hougang-local>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> It is thus disingenuous for anyone, let alone a DPM, to say that the by-election is or should be a “local one” and nothing more. If all that Hougang voters – or any voter in a by-election, for that matter – are voting for is a town manager to take care of the drains, wet markets, playgrounds, etc, then perhaps we have cheapened the roles they ought to play, and have dismissed them as incapable of something greater, something more.

> And if so, what really is the point of voting them into the highest law-making institution in the land?

**** LTA Begins Work On First Phase Of Marina Bay Cycling Network ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1201114/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Three Indonesian Maids Seek Refuge At Embassy In Singapore ****
<http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/three-indonesian-maids-seek-refuge-at-embassy-in-singapore/517807>
Amelia Tan, Straits Times

> Three Indonesian maids have sought refuge at their embassy after their employers put their lives at risk by forcing them to clean windows and hang out laundry, they claimed.

> The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) told The Straits Times that it is now looking into the claims of one of the maids, Yuli Primariyanti, 24. She claimed that her employer made her stand on window sills to clean the exterior window panes of a two-storey bungalow in the east.

**** Time To Consider Retrenchment Benefits ****
<http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5226-time-to-consider-retrenchment-benefits>
Singaore Democratic Party

> The SDP has proposed that the Government pays retrenched workers not covered by their employers 75 percent of their last drawn salary for the first six months. This amount will be reduced to 50 percent during the following six months, and further reduced to 25 percent in the third six months.

> The payments will stop once the individual is re-employed. They will also cease 18 months after one's retrenchment if the individual is still not employed by then. This will prevent a culture of welfare dependence from taking root. A cap will also be placed on the amount that any retrenched worker is paid.

**** Previewing Battleground Hougang ****
<http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=38532>
Faisal Wali, New Asia Republic

> Such statements from Choo are expected; you do not play a PAP yes-man in an opposition stronghold such as Hougang. However, the question most are asking is whether Choo really means what he says. The main factor that is currently going against Choo is that he is a PAP newbie. If it was a certain Tan Cheng Bock (just for example) going to the Hougang by-election, and he gives a strong assertion that he will be an independent man, chances are that most of the audience will be convinced by that.

**** RIP ****
<http://thedarkwater.blogspot.com/2012/05/rip.html>
The Dark Water

> Yes, it is an unfortunate incident. But what is more unfortunate is that he may have passed away because of SAF's rule of "send to MO before sending to hospital".

**** Untitled ****
<http://justmakebelievethat.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/untitled-2/>
Lets Pretend That...

> May the passing of 3SG Tan Mou Sheng serve a greater purpose. May this needless, preventable death result in the SAF reviewing its selection, training and evaluation of medics. And may it bring with it changes to restore faith in the medical corps. Let us create a safer training environment for the sons of our nation.

**** Hougang Voters Need Help? ****
<http://commentary.azacamis.com/2012/05/hougang-voters-need-help.html>
Commentary

**** Small-business Owner Agrees With Unconditional Pay Rise For Low-paid Workers ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_798577.html>
Darrell Lim, Straits Times

**** Even The Gynae Got Distracted ****
<http://petulantchild.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/even-the-gynae-got-distracted/>
Petulantchild

**** Hougang By Election: Is ‘Shall’ The Same As ‘Must?’ ****
<http://gintai.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/is-shall-the-same-as-must/>
Gintai_昇泰

> I just told Taxi Ong that in legal terms or if you just look at the law book, they don’t use ‘must’ or ‘will’. It is always ‘shall’. For example you shall be fine and jail. You shall be charged for this offence or you shall comply with the law etc. So in a way, in legal terms, the word ‘shall’ means ‘must’ or ‘will’ in our layman’s terms.

**** Foreigners With TB: Whose Responsibility Is It? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/EDC120514-0000034/Foreigners-with-TB--Whose-responsibility-is-it>
Woo Sian Boon, Today

**** 朱倍庆:只要有我在 后港不会并入集选区 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120514_002.shtml>
李蕙心, 联合早报

> 将代表人民行动党参加后港区补选的朱倍庆首次公开表明,不论补选结果如何,他都希望后港能保留为单议席选区,只要他继续在后港服务,就会确保后港不会并入集选区。

Mr Choo has such great influence on both the Prime Minister Office and the Elections Department?

**** By-election Application To Proceed, Says Lawyer ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120514-0000053/By-election-application-to-proceed,-says-lawyer>
Today

> Earlier, Mdm Vellama - through her lawyer M Ravi - had indicated that she was prepared to withdraw her application, if certain conditions were met. These conditions include not imposing the costs of the application on her. In response, the Attorney-General's Chambers were quoted in media reports saying that Mdm Vellama "risks being penalised in costs". Mr Ravi said that because of the AGC's comments, his client is rescinding her offer to withdraw the application.

**** Make Rules And Rentals “Attractive And Honourable” First ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7585>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

> The current system is too skewed towards owners of property and assets, and biased against consumers and small time business owners including hawkers.

**** Who Cares About The Outcome Of The Decision Of A Mere 23,368 People? ****
<http://harishpillay.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/who-cares-about-the-outcome-of-the-decision-of-a-mere-23368-people/>
Harish Pillay, Life One Degree North, One-o-three Degrees East