[MyAppleMenu] Mar 29, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 29 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Chinese Leader Asks Apple's Tim Cook To Care For Workers ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166122/chinese_leader_asks_apples_tim_cook_to_care_for_workers.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Michael Kan, IDG News Service

> Cook met with vice premier Li Keqiang, a day after he visited Beijing’s mayor. Experts have said the meetings are meant to bolster ties with the Chinese government as the nation has become critical to Apple’s manufacturing and product sales.

> During his meeting with Cook, Li said he hoped Apple and foreign firms would increase cooperation with China, and push for industrial development in the country’s central and western regions, according to a Wednesday report by the Xinhua News Agency.

> Li, however, also hoped multinational companies would pay more concern to their Chinese workers.

**** Here's How Law Enforcement Cracks Your iPhone's Security Code ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/03/27/heres-how-law-enforcement-cracks-your-iphones-security-code-video/>
Andy Greenberg, Forbes

> Set your iPhone to require a four-digit passcode, and it may keep your private information safe from the prying eyes of the taxi driver whose cab you forget it in. But if law enforcement is determined to see the data you’ve stored on your smartphone, those four digits will slow down the process of accessing it by less than two minutes.

Consider switching to a longer passcode.

**** How To Find Keyboard Shortcuts In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57406005-263/how-to-find-keyboard-shortcuts-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** iTunes 10.6.1 Squashes Several Bugs ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166117/itunes_10_6_1_squashes_several_bugs.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

> Apple has released iTunes 10.6.1, an update that addresses several problems introduced in iTunes 10.6.

**** Sweden May Investigate Apple iPad Marketing ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2012/03/28/sweden-may-investigate-apple-ipad-marketing/>
Sven Grundberg, Wall Street Journal

> The Swedish Consumer Agency is considering launching an investigation into whether Apple’s marketing of its new iPad is misleading. While Sweden is one of the few countries in Europe with broad 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) coverage, the new iPad will not function on Swedish 4G networks.

**** Google Going Forward With Go Language ****
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/google-going-forward-go-language-189783>
Paul Krill, InfoWorld

> Downloadable at the Go website, the open source Go has been positioned as a general-purpose language suitable for uses ranging from application development to systems programming and offering such features as garbage collection and concurrency. It also is intended to be easy to program.

**** Swimming On The Hot Side ****
<http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-03/swimming-hot-side?page=all>
David Goodwillie, Popular Science

> I first heard about nuclear diving while I was getting my hair cut in downtown Manhattan. My stylist seemed out of place in an East Village salon, so I asked her where she lived. Brooklyn? Queens? Uptown?

> “Upstate,” she answered. “I commute two hours each way a few times a week.”

> I asked her why, and she stopped cutting.

> “Well, my husband has kind of a weird job,” she said. “He’d rather not live around other people.”

> I sat up in the chair. “What does he do?”

> “He’s a nuclear diver.”

**** Yale Values To Be Tested In Singapore ****
<http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/mar/29/yale-values-be-tested-singapore/>
Ava Kofman, Tapley Stephenson, Yale Daily News

> Yale-NUS administrators and Singaporean residents said they see Yale-NUS as a marker of increasing liberalization in Singapore, but they differed on how Yale-NUS will fit into Singapore’s changing society. Citing greater press freedom on political blogs and elevated discourse during the most recent general election, Singaporean residents said their country is noticeably more liberal than it was a decade ago.

> Still, laws restricting freedom of expression limit people’s ability to voice their opinions and protest peacefully. Though the Yale-NUS agreement includes provisions protecting academic freedom and freedom of speech on campus, it does not protect the right to assemble.

**** Median Income Growth: MOM Says +1%, PSD Says -0.6%? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/03/median-income-mom-1-psd-0-6/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Making Sense With Numbers ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/03/making-sense-with-numbers.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> In 1970, many average people could earn $600 pm. And that amount, $7,200, was enough to pay for a 3 rm flat in a year.

**** View CCTV Images Of Flood-prone Areas On PUB's Website ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1191956/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> From Thursday, the public can find out which areas have been hit by floods by checking closed-circuit television (CCTV) images on national water agency PUB's website.

I would like to take things further: all CCTVs installed by the government pointing at public places should be available online.

**** Kallang River Bishan Park | Singapore | Atelier Dreiseitl ****
<http://worldlandscapearchitect.com/kallang-river-bishan-park-singapore-atelier-dreiseitl/#.T3QSgHjXfZs>
Damian Holmes, World Landscape Architecture

**** 美好大都是罚出来的 ****
<http://luo.bo/22646/>
新民周刊

**** Achieving Better Accessibility In Singapore's Built Environment ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1191960/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Finds More Space For Grace, But Not On Subway ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/03/29/singapore-finds-more-space-for-grace-but-not-on-subway/>
Sam Holmes, Wall Street Journal

> Last year in particular was notable for the hotly contested general and presidential elections that generated a volume of political and community debate in a range of forums not usually heard in the country.

> “To me, this is worthy of celebration because it means in spite of all the changes–people are a lot more outspoken–people recognize that we are not so bad,” Dr. Wan said.

**** Will Multi-party By-election In Hougang Increase Choice? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/03/will-multi-party-election-hougang-increase-choice/>
Gordon Lee, The Online Citizen

> The increased “choice” of having more political parties contesting the by-election will have to be balanced by potentially lower “choice” in other ways.

**** Government Replies = ‘Sure Fail’ Exam Answers ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/03/government-replies-sure-fail/>
John Chan, The Online Citizen

**** CPF 'Meets Retirement Needs Of Majority': CEO ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_782952.html>
Cai Haoxiang, Straits Times

**** If There's A Shortage, Why Is The Jobless Rate For Cleaners High? ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_782818.html>
Leong Sze Hian, Straits Times

> We often read that Singaporeans do not want to be cleaners. If that is so, why is it that the unemployment rate for cleaners, labourers and related workers, at 5.1 per cent, was the second highest among all job categories, according to the Ministry of Manpower's Singapore Workforce 2011 report?

**** Cheaper Way To Solve Congestion In Adam, Lornie Roads ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_782816.html>
Lee Chiu San, Straits Times

**** Consider The Impact On Biodiversty, Says Nature Society ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_782817.html>
Ho Hua Chew, Nature Society (Singapore), Straits Times

**** Tougher Penalties For Flat Booking Cancellations ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1191825/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

> Under a new HDB ruling announced on Wednesday, these applicants will be barred for a year from applying for another new flat or being listed as an essential occupier in flats sold under the Design-Build-and-Sell Scheme (DBSS), resale flats with housing grants as well as executive condominiums.

**** 1.1 Billion Dollars More Of Buses Will Not Help ****
<http://flaneurose.blogspot.com/2012/03/11-billion-dollars-more-of-buses-will.html>
Flâneurose