[MyAppleMenu] Mar 28, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 28 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** The iPad App That Will Remind You Of Microsoft's Old Courier Project ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57405317-75/the-ipad-app-that-will-remind-you-of-microsofts-old-courier-project/>
Jay Greene, CNET

> Tapose, the iPad app that aims to mimic much of the content creation capability of Microsoft's ill-fated Courier tablet, just won approval from Apple to be sold in iTunes.

**** Apple Offers iPad Refunds ****
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-28/apple-offers-ipad-refunds/3917440?section=business>
Sarah Farnsworth, ABC News

> Apple has agreed to publish a clarification that states the product supports ultra-fast mobile networks but is not compatible with the Telstra network.

> The company says it will email purchasers offering a refund if they believe they have been misled. Clarifications will also be made at point of sale.

**** The Mac App Store Needs Paid Upgrades ****
<http://blog.wilshipley.com/2012/03/mac-app-store-needs-paid-upgrades.html>
Wil Shipley, Call Me Fishmeal

**** Apple: iPad Battery Nothing To Get Charged Up About ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120327/apple-ipad-battery-nothing-to-get-charged-up-about/>
Ina Fried, AllThingsD

> So here’s how things work: Apple does, in fact, display the iPad (and iPhone and iPod Touch) as 100 percent charged just before a device reaches a completely charged state. At that point, it will continue charging to 100 percent, then discharge a bit and charge back up to 100 percent, repeating that process until the device is unplugged.

> Doing so allows devices to maintain an optimum charge, Apple VP Michael Tchao told AllThingsD today.

**** Retrospect 9.0: Powerful Backup For Professionals, Organizations ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1166050/retrospect_9_0.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Stuart Gripman, Macworld

> Retrospect 9.0 is powerful, reliable backup for professionals and organizations that require more than simple desktop-grade solutions. It takes a system administrator to see the beauty beneath its flawed exterior, but even the boss can appreciate Retrospect’s value. No other product offers Retrospect’s capabilities in a multi-platform setting for anywhere near the price.

**** A Cloud Operating System Takes Shape ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/39983/?ref=rss>
Tom Simonite, Technology Review

> Box founder and CEO Aaron Levie claims that the next decade of computing won't be defined by one platform, but by the cloud service that can successfully link apps, users, and devices strung out across competing mobile and desktop operating systems.

**** At Y Combinator’s Biggest Demo Day Yet, Mobile Is Taking Over ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/27/ycmobile/>
Eric Eldon, TechCrunch

> Out of the 39 companies presenting on the record today, 15 are mobile-first by my count.

**** Mail Supremacy ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/04/02/120402fa_fact_collins?currentPage=all>
Lauren Collins, New Yorker

> The newspaper that rules Britain.

**** In Singapore, Liberal Arts Enter Uncharted Territory ****
<http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/mar/28/liberal-arts-enter-uncharted-territory/>
Ava Kofman, Tapley Stephenson, Yale Daily News

> For now, prospective Yale-NUS students are being asked to put their faith into an institution whose future is not entirely clear.

**** SMRT Completes Investigation On Breakdowns, Submits Report To Govt ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120328-0000154/SMRT-completes-investigation-on-breakdowns,-submits-report-to-Govt>
Today

> A SMRT spokesperson said: "We decided not to make public the report now as we do not wish to have our report seen as the definitive one by the public, when there are other investigations proceeding.

> "It is best that all the findings and recommendations be revealed through the COI proceedings, to give the public a full picture," the spokesperson added.

**** Govt, Mr Lui & LTA Just Don’t Get It ****
<http://singaporegirl.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/govt-mr-lui-lta-just-dont-get-it/>
Food Fuels Me To Talk

> Why can’t the LTA roll out a similar mini bus network to connect our housing to our increasingly large network of MRT stations?

**** Shut Out At The Cinema: Indie Distributors Facing Uphill Battle ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_782605.html>
John Lui, Straits Times

> A scan of the listings reveal this dismal tally: In a nation of 230 cinema halls, located in all parts of the island, the same seven films hog the screens.

MDA need to get companies like Netflix, Amazon and Apple to open online media stores in Singapore. How else are we able to nurture the next generation of filmmakers if all they are exposed to are the same 7 films?

**** PR Understands Need To Change P1 Rules, But Feels Interaction Will Suffer ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_782369.html>
Phyllis Tan, Straits Times

> My early education, from kindergarten to secondary school, was in Singapore. It was a rewarding experience to have Singaporeans and PRs studying together in harmony, without prejudices.

> Such an experience may not be available to Singaporeans in future because of the new rule, which will whittle down the number of PRs in choice schools.

**** The Paradox Of Governance ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/03/paradox-of-governance.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News