[MyAppleMenu] Mar 14, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 14 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Byword For iOS Review ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/byword-for-ios-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> If you are looking for a Markdown editor with exporting options that has native iCloud and Dropbox support across Mac and iOS, this may be your best choice right now.

**** Second Round Of ‘New iPad’ Launch Countries Announced ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/03/14/second-round-of-new-ipad-launch-countries-announced/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

**** Finding The Best iOS Podcast Manager In The App Store ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165858/finding_the_best_ios_podcast_manager_in_the_app_store.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

**** iPhoto's Mystery Meat Gestures ****
<http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2012/03/14/mystery_meat_iphoto/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IgnoreTheCode+%28ignore+the+code%29>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

> Touching and gesturing in different ways would make seemingly random things happen. I regularly unintentionally activated features, changed views, opened or closed pictures, and got iPhoto into states I wasn’t sure how to get out of again.

**** Apple Officially Announces 8:00 AM Local Time Launch For New iPad On Friday, March 16 ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/14/apple-officially-announces-800-am-local-time-launch-for-new-ipad-on-friday-march-16/>
Eric Silivka, MacRumors

**** The Technology Of A Better Footnote ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/03/the-technology-of-a-better-footnote/254403/>
Alan Jacobs, The Atlantic

> But what's really got me excited these days is the method of presenting notes Marco Arment has recently come up with for the iPad and iPhone versions of Instapaper. This is pure coding elegance: simple, straightforward, attractive, usable. Has the ancient problem of the footnote finally been solved?

**** Letting Your Fingers Do The Photo Editing ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450004577279473218296852.html>
Katherine Boehret, Wall Street Journal

> People shouldn't be tied to their computers when editing photos, and this version of iPhoto is an asset to people who want to be more productive on their iPhones and iPads.

**** Apple Releases Aperture 3.2.3 And Epson Printer Driver Update ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57396754-263/apple-releases-aperture-3.2.3-and-epson-printer-driver-update/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** In China, Once-thriving Apple Scalpers Are Struggling ****
<http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-china-apple-20120314,0,5915360.story>
David Pierson, Los Angeles Times

> [Apple's] expansion is dealing a blow to a unique part of China's Apple experience: a thriving underground system of smugglers and unofficial resellers who had unwittingly become key players in the brand's still-growing distribution network.

**** An Overly Cluttered Desktop Can Seriously Slow Down Your Mac—Clean It Up For A Noticeable Speed Boost ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5893054/an-overly-cluttered-desktop-can-seriously-slow-down-your-mac++clean-it-up-for-a-noticeable-speed-boost>
Whitson Gordon, Lifehacker

> Because of the way OS X's graphical system works, the icons on your desktop take up a lot more of your resources than you may realize.

**** Why I’m Sticking With Instapaper ****
<http://www.elezea.com/2012/03/sticking-with-instapaper/>
Elezea

> Marco does something really smart that gives him a big advantage over the makers of other, similar apps: he makes himself extremely visible. But even more importantly, he does so as himself, with his own personality, as opposed to some tightly controlled and measured “social media brand engagement” thing.

**** Camera+ 3 Is Smarter Than Ever, But Not Always Faster ****
<http://www.cultofmac.com/152662/camera-3-is-smarter-than-ever-but-not-always-faster-review/>
Giles Turnbull, Cult Of Mac

**** Screensaver+ Adds An iOS-like Lock Screen To Your Mac ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5892919/screensaver%252B-adds-an-ios+like-lock-screen-to-your-mac>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

> The simplicity of the iOS lock screen is fantastic, so why not have it on your Mac? Screensaver+ lets you do just that, and you can even set an Android-style unlock pattern for added security.

**** Tweetbot Gets An Update, Brings Instant Tweet Display And Retina Graphics ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/03/13/tweetbot-gets-an-update-brings-instant-tweet-display-and-retina-graphics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Grant Brünner, Macgasm

> Tweetbot now has the ability to display tweets as they are posted live to the site instead of having to pull to refresh or wait for a 5 minute timer. This is wonderful, but it sadly only works when you’re on Wi-Fi.

**** Quickoffice For iOS Gets Enterprise Makeover ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165841/quickoffice_for_ios_gets_enterprise_makeover.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Tom Kaneshige, CIO

**** Which iPad Should You Buy On Friday? Your Questions Answered ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/03/third-gen-ipad-data-plans-lte-store-availability-and-more-your-questions-answered.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> We decided to lend you a hand by answering some of the most common questions about buying an iPad in a single place. Got questions about 4G versus LTE, data plans, international roaming, or where to even buy an iPad? Or do you have friends or family who won't stop asking you those questions? The answers are right here.

**** Is iTunes’ Radio Service Wigging Out? ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/03/13/is-itunes-radio-service-wigging-out/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> It seems to get stuck, waiting for a response, as this displays for a long time.

Personally, I've been listening to WQXR through iTunes these past couple of days and haven't had this problem.

**** Hazel, The Standout File Organizer, Gets Even Smarter ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165835/hazel_the_standout_file_organizer_gets_even_smarter.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

> If you invest the up-front time Hazel sometimes demands, you’ll get a neater, better organized drive with little to no further effort.

**** OmniPlan 2.0.3 Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3343937&olo=rss>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld UK

> OmniPlan offers the kinds of features that make large-scale project management as easy as a simple to-do list. Centralised data management, file synchronisation, and change tracking combined with task and resource management make OmniPlan an excellent tool for planning a major project, whether it’s large or small.

**** New 3D Printer Could Create Nano-devices In Minutes ****
<http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/03/new-3d-printer-could-create-nano-devices-in-minutes.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Sean gallagher, Ars Technica

> Researchers at the Vienna University of Technology (TU Vienna) have developed a 3D printing technology that can quickly print detailed objects in nanoscale using a process called two-photon lithography. It's fast, too: the precision required to print objects with features measured in hundreds of nanometers in width meant the speed of previous attempts at printing nanoscale objects were measured in millimeters per second. In contrast, the TU Vienna team's 3D printer is capable of printing lines of resin at a rate of five meters per second.

**** Automatic Recharging, From A Distance ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/business/built-in-wireless-charging-for-electronic-devices.html?_r=2>
Anne Eisenberg, New York Times

> Think how convenient it would be if you could recharge electronic devices without ever having to plug them in — or even take them out of your briefcase.

**** You Call That A Punctuation Mark?! The Interrobang Celebrates Its 50Th Birthday ****
<http://www.themillions.com/2012/03/you-call-that-a-punctuation-mark-the-interrobang-celebrates-its-50th-birthday.html>
Nora Maynard, The Millions

> The year is 1962, and ad exec Martin K. Speckter has a punctuation problem.

**** Two Ways To Think About Nothing ****
<http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/03/12/148456099/two-ways-to-think-about-nothing>
Robert Krulwich, NPR

> I'm going to show you two kinds of nothing.

**** I Was A Cookbook Ghostwriter ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/dining/i-was-a-cookbook-ghostwriter.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Julia Moskin, New York Times

> The days when a celebrated chef might wait until the end of a distinguished career and spend years polishing the prose of the single volume that would represent his life’s work are gone. Recipes are product, and today’s successful cookbook authors are demons at providing it — usually, with the assistance of an army of writer-cooks.

**** What Makes Sushi Great? ****
<http://www.gilttaste.com/stories/4704-what-makes-sushi-great>
Francis Lam, Gilt Taste

> A friend of mine once met a delegation of revered Japanese chefs. There was a wizened gentleman among them who was clearly the leader. He spoke little, but the other star chefs deferred to him, paid him obvious respect. My friend finally asked, quietly, “So, what does the old guy do?” The response: “He has mastered rice.”

**** Why Finish Books? ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/mar/13/why-finish-books/>
Tim Parks, The New York Review Of Books

> Is a good book by definition one that we did finish? Or are there occasions when we might choose to leave off a book before the end, or even only half way through, and nevertheless feel that it was good, even excellent, that we were glad we read what we read, but don’t feel the need to finish it?

**** The Irony In MOE’s Good Intentions ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/the-irony-in-moes-good-intentions/>
Andrew Loh

> For the moment, the new scheme subverts the very values which the ministry is trying to inculcate. Indeed, it is ironic.

**** Police Investigating Unauthorised Transactions On iTunes ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1189022/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Water Leakage In NEL Train ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1189005/1/.html>
Karen Ng, Channel NewsAsia

> Senior vice president of SBS Transit corporate communications Tammy Tan said the water leakage was 'due to an electronic failure in the air-conditioning control system'. She added that the fault has since been rectified.

**** More Concessions For Those Under HDB's SERS ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1188945/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> These include residents at Rochor Centre, who are affected by a land acquisition to facilitate the construction of the new North-South Expressway.

**** LTA Completes Installing Elevated MRT Station Screen Doors Early ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1188931/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Kranji was the last station to get the screen doors, which started operation this morning.

**** Let The Bananas Grow On State Land ****
<http://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/let-bananas-grow-on-state-land/>
The Long And Winding Road

> An idea mooted by a guide during one of the walks organised by the good people behind “We Support the Green Corridor” I attended a while ago, Ms Margie Hall of the Nature Society of Singapore, was that the Authorities grant temporary occupation licences to the farmers. This would not only allow the farmers – mostly retirees, a useful pursuit in their advanced years, it will also permit the use of land to be regulated. This will also allow concerns of residents and the Authorities to be managed and eliminated and its use opened up to the community. It is the community that would stand to gain most from this – allowing both young and old a space in their neighbourhood to which they would be able to escape the urban Singapore we have become to a calmer, gentler and greener Singapore – a Singapore from which we have all emerged from and a Singapore we have long forgotten of.

**** Living at Skyhigh ****
<http://poskod.sg/Posts/2012/3/14/Living-Skyhigh?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+poskodsg+%28POSKOD.SG%29>
David Ee, Poskod.sg

> Some may note an ironic parallel with the Chinatown of days past. As depicted in an exhibition in the Pinnacle's very own grounds, many coolies in the late 19th and early 20th centuries lived in overcrowded Chinatown shophouse lodging, they and their families packed in like sardines. Today, while relative expectations have, of course, risen, historical problems of overcrowding and insufficient housing remain at the fore. Families at the Pinnacle, and in the newer estates in Punggol, still find themselves living in what developers might term as cosy apartments.

**** Court Of Appeal Reserves Judgement On Yong Vui Kong Death Sentence Appeal ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1188907/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia

> The Court of Appeal has reserved its judgement on the case involving Malaysian drug trafficker Yong Vui Kong. It has requested for written submissions from both the defence and prosecution.

**** Everything Is For Sale – Uniquely Singapore ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/03/everything-is-for-sale-uniquely.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> The latest thing to buy is good character. Pay the bugger for showing good character.

**** Is The Singapore Gov Trying To Get Rid Of The Old Singaporeans? ****
<http://www.according2ed.com/2012/03/is-singapore-gov-trying-to-get-rid-of.html>
a2ed.com

**** Community Focus In This Year's Singapore Arts Fest ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_777377.html>
Adeline Chia, Straits Times

> The 16-day festival, which will run from May 18 to June 2, is shorter than last year's three-week run. There are 14 ticketed programmes this year, down from last year's 36.

Also: <a href="http://www.singaporeartsfest.com/">Stories, Legends and Myths Come Alive At The Singapore Arts Festival 2012</a>.

**** Singapore Takeout Blogger Dinner, Sydney (13 Mar 2012) ****
<http://simonfoodfavourites.blogspot.com/2012/03/singapore-takeout-blogger-dinner-sydney.html>
Simon Food Favourites

> When I first heard about the Singapore Takeout I was thinking it was going to be something like a pop up restaurant similar to Malaysian Kitchen Food Market where the public could come and get a taste of Singapore cuisine to promote Singapore as a destination. Unfortunately for the public it's an invite only event over the 3 days which seems to have been for media, bloggers and the lucky 30 who applied in an online competition. I sort of feel it's a missed opportunity for Singapore Tourism to really showcase what they have to offer to the local Sydneysiders.

**** Invitation To An Execution ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/03/invitation-to-execution.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Shooting Singapore ****
<http://shoottokyo.com/2012/03/13/shooting-singapore/>
ShootTokyo

**** 解除摄像功能iPhone停售 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120314_007.shtml>
孙伟伦, 联合早报

> 据本报向电信业内人士探听而知,第一通相信是同苹果公司沟通后,决定暂时停止出售这类iPhone。

Looks like Apple decided that nobody should be able to sell an iPhone without a camera.

**** Job Protection Must Start When A Woman Is Certified Pregnant ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120314-0000013/Job-protection-must-start-when-a-woman-is-certified-pregnant>
Joanne Lim, Today

**** Hundred-year-old Tree Cut Down ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120314-0000017/Hundred-year-old-tree-cut-down>
Patricia Chee, Today

> I understand that NParks has spent a lot to take photographs and document significant and beautiful trees, to protect them. Do the authorities now have a different philosophy about protecting trees and the environment?

**** Younger Singaporeans And Tax Burdens ****
<http://pratapolitics.blogspot.com/2012/03/younger-singaporeans-and-tax-burdens.html>
Prata Politics

> Younger Singaporeans are already burdened with tax, just the same, if not more, than older Singaporeans. Of course not, They shouldn't. The more well-off should shoulder that burden instead.

**** Please Stop Flogging The "Inclusive" Horse ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2012/03/please-stop-flogging-inclusive-horse.html>
Feed Me To The Fish