[MyAppleMenu] Jun 23, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 23 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** The Next-gen MacBook Pro With Retina Display Review ****
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review>
Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech

> If your workload demands that you need the performance of a MacBook Pro and your lifestyle requires you to carry it around a lot, the reduction in thickness and weight alone will be worth the upgrade to the rMBP. If you spend most of your time stationary however, you’ll have to be sold on the display and internal characteristics alone. The bad news is if the design doesn’t get you, everything else will.

**** Apple’s China Success: TIME Asks The Wrong Question ****
<http://www.chinahearsay.com/apples-china-success-time-asks-the-wrong-question/>
China Hearsay

> There is no Communist cabal in China waiting in the wings to sabotage every successful foreign invested enterprise. Even that suggestion smacks of ignorance and misguided ideology. Apple is not being “allowed” to do well in China, it simply <i>is</i> doing well.

**** It’s Time For Apple To Allow Developers To Respond To App Store Reviews ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/06/22/its-time-for-apple-to-allow-developers-to-respond-to-app-store-reviews/>
Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web

**** E-book Price Fixing Trial Set For 2013: Apple, Macmillan And Penguin Prepare For Courtroom Brawl ****
<http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/22/e-book-price-fixing-trial-set-for-2013/>
Sean Buckley, Engadget

**** OmniFocus: Getting Things Done On iPad, Mac ****
<http://www.informationweek.com/byte/news/personal-tech/mobile-apps/240002515>
Max Cherney, Byte

**** Self-censoring Siri? Chinese Version Won't Discuss Tiananmen ****
<http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20120621000128&cid=1301>
Want China Times

> Some website experts recently tested the new version only to find that the system will pretend not to understand questions involving such as politically sensitive terms as "Tiananmen Square" and "6-4" (June 4, the date of the army's crackdown on the student protesters in 1989).

> As it will even not answer questions about how to get to the massive square in the center of Beijing, they suspect Siri is employing self-censorship to enter the Chinese market, according to Duowei News, a Chinese-language media outlet based in New York run by overseas Chinese.

**** Will Apple Face Punishments In China For ‘Unfair’ Maintenance Terms ? ****
<http://micgadget.com/27494/will-apple-face-punishments-in-china-for-unfair-maintenance-terms/>
Star Chang, M.I.C. Gadget

**** If You've Ever Sold A Used iPod, You May Have Violated Copyright Law ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/06/if-youve-ever-sold-a-used-ipod-you-may-have-violated-copyright-law/258276/>
Marvin Ammori, The Atlantic

> Continuing a long string of similar cases, the Supreme Court will review a New York federal court decision that decided, in short, that the first-sale doctrine does not apply to any copyrighted product manufactured abroad. That case concerns textbooks.

**** ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2012/06/23/article01/>

I wasn't aware of it, so I'm asking here: have you use it? Is it as easy to use as Apple's version? Is this credible?
(If this app store want to get mainstream support, may I humbly suggest it not use the word "hack" in its name?)

**** Bugs & Fixes: From Missing Alarms To Update Woes ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167396/bugs_and_fixes_from_missing_alarms_to_update_woes.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Mid-2012 MacBook Airs Offer Improved Performance And Connectivity ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167397/mid_2012_macbook_airs_offer_improved_performance_and_connectivity.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> Thanks to upgraded processors and graphics capabilities, along with both Thunderbolt and USB 3—features still missing from Apple’s Mac Pro line—for expansion, it’s getting tougher and tougher to say the Air isn’t a “full-featured” laptop.

I am using the 2011 MacBook Air, and I'm loving it. The new Air's biggest draw, for me, is the 512 GB flash storage, though the price is still relatively expensive.

**** Private Facebook Data Powering Ads Outside Of Facebook — Is The World Ready? ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/22/we-are-not-afraid/>
Josh Constine, TechCrunch

**** When My Crazy Father Actually Lost His Mind ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/magazine/when-my-crazy-father-actually-lost-his-mind.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all>
Jeneen Interlandi, New York Times

> In rare moments of lucidity, he would cry and apologize, confessing that he was terrified. He didn’t know what was happening to him. But we did. He was given a diagnosis of bipolar syndrome in 2005, during a similarly disturbing period. He rode out much of that episode in a state psychiatric hospital, and having him admitted again seemed the best way to keep him and my mother safe. His lucid moments would pass quickly. Once his switch flipped back to manic, he would refuse to even discuss the possibility that something was wrong, let alone consent to seeing a psychiatrist.

**** Marriage In Gay And Lesbian Fiction ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/books/review/marriage-in-gay-and-lesbian-fiction.html?_r=1&gwh=D05D0281F38378A86F08CEF700732C33>
Christpher Bram, New York Times

> But the question confused me. Why would a valuable piece of social progress close a literary door? Nobody thought women would no longer be a good subject for fiction once they got the vote. Nobody argues that African-American literature ended when Obama was elected. I soon developed a handy response: “Oh, no — gay marriage is going to give us a whole new subject to write about.” But since then I’ve been thinking it over more closely, wondering just how same-sex marriage might affect literature, about what could change and what may have been there all along.

**** Eat, Drink, Cook: Elizabeth Gilbert On Her Family's Culinary Inheritance ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/22/elizabeth-gilbert-family-culinary-inheritance>
Elizabeth Gilbert, The Guardian

> All I can say is that I finally picked up Gima's cookbook this spring at the age of 41. I cracked it open and read it in one rapt sitting. No, that's not entirely true: I wasn't really sitting, or at least not for long. After the first few pages, I jumped up and dashed through the house to find my husband, so I could read parts of it to him. Then I followed him around the kitchen while he was making our dinner (lamb shanks), and I continued reading aloud as we ate. Then the two of us sat for hours over the dirty dishes, finishing a bottle of wine and taking turns reading the book to each other by candlelight.

**** When Does The Personal Essay Become More Than Memoir? ****
<http://www.writinginpublic.com/2012/06/when-does-personal-essay-become-more.html>
James Polchin, Writing In Public

> In thinking about these collections in their nominated categories, I wondered when does an essay become more than memoir?

**** Singapore Is A Country, Not A Company ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/singapore-is-a-country-not-a-company/>
The Temasek Times

**** Singapore Nursing Homes Open "More Affordable" Branches In JB ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1209441/1/.html>
Wee Leng/Natalya, Channel NewsAsia

> Some nursing homes in Singapore have set up branches in Malaysia's Johor Bahru to cater to Singaporeans who are looking for a more affordable alternative.

Operate shuttle buses from Singapore, and you'd have a good business.
(LTA, please approve these shuttle buses.)

**** LTA To Look At Improving Acceptance Process Of MRT Infrastructure ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1209450/1/.html>
Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia

> The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is looking at how it can improve its "acceptance process" of rail systems before putting them into service.

> Transport minister Lui Tuck Yew said this is one of the lessons drawn from last year's Circle Line train service disruption.

**** AGC Rejects Offer To Withdraw Hougang By-election Court Case ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1209468/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> In a statement to the media, the AGC said the condition is a hypothetical question and has nothing to do with Mdm Vellama's case, which relates specifically to the by-election for the single ward of Hougang.

**** Singapore Is ‘Evolving’ ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/opinion/singapore-is-evolving.html>
Chan Heng Chee, Ambassador of Singapore, New York Times

> Encouraging Singaporeans to think through issues is integral to a vibrant democracy. Although you describe deputy prime minister Teo Chee Hean as “dodging pointed questions” by students recently, in fact he had an interactive dialogue and encouraged students to share their thoughts on Singapore’s challenges.

> The Internal Security Act was used in the past to deal with a violent insurgency and active subversion by the Communists. It remains relevant as a pre-emptive tool to safeguard security, especially against the threat of terrorism.

**** Of Clean Toilets And Competitive Economies ****
<http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/06/of_clean_toilets_and_competiti.html>
Vinod K. Aggarwal, Harvard Business Review

> I suspect that Singapore's answer to how to compete is the right answer, too, for many other nations, whether they are willing to embrace it or not. New product and service invention is a key element of staying competitive in today's global economy, but it is not enough. Neither are all the millions that multinational corporations spend on marketing to cast their products in the most appealing light. Such efforts are necessary, but not sufficient. In globally competitive markets, the notion of "the devil is in the details" becomes essential. Ironically, it may be the minutia that separates those who flourish from those who fail.

And, ironically, Creative Labs had always claimed Apple took the MP3-player market using, simply, a larger marketing budget.
Apple, actually, is the company that paid great attentions to details, from how the earphones click just nicely into the iPods to the speed of syncing via Firewire as compared to USB 1 on every other computer.
Creative Labs, on the other hand, simply slapped on Windows Media Player and a FM receiver.

**** Why Is Najib Whipping Singapore This Time? ****
<http://dotseng.wordpress.com/2012/06/23/why-is-najib-whipping-singapore-this-time/>
Dotseng

**** Commanday Finds Love Of Arts In Singapore ****
<http://www.pjstar.com/entertainment/x1225006161/Commanday-finds-love-of-arts-in-Singapore>
Gary Panetta, The Journal Star

**** S'pore Envoy Summoned To Wisma Putra Over Diplomats' Participation In Illegal Rally ****
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/6/22/nation/20120622210026&sec=nation>
The Star

> "During my meeting with Ong Keng Yong this afternoon, I again explained the position of the Malaysian Government that the direct participation of diplomats in the illegal rally is an inappropriate move.

> "Such inappropriate move had indeed given rise to negative perceptions on the bilateral relationship between Malaysia and Singapore when in actual fact, the ties between the two neighbours and as partners in Asean are expanding. The leaders of Malaysia and Singapore have shown strong commitment to further strengthening and elevating the partnership between the two countries to greater heights for mutual benefit.

**** Prudent To Take Time To Review, Organise Arts Fest ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120623-0000032/Prudent-to-take-time-to-review,-organise-Arts-Fest>
Yvonne Tham, National Arts Council, Today

> However, beyond the needs of this review, the organising of an Arts Festival at a national scale with international participation would typically require 18 to 24 months of preparatory work.

> So, instead of rushing out a Festival next year for continuity's sake, we decided it was more prudent to dedicate the necessary time for developing one that would realise the goals above and deliver its full benefits to our arts community and public.

**** Set Up Long-distance Bus Interchange Near Causeway ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120623-0000048/Set-up-long-distance-bus-interchange-near-Causeway>
Arthur Phua, Today

> A bus interchange located near the Causeway or the Second Link would divert traffic away from the congested Beach Road area, where many bus services to Malaysia are now located.

It always seem to me the government is intentionally crippling the Malaysian bus services.

**** Heartland Shops Are Fighting Back ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120623-0000006/Heartland-shops-are-fighting-back>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

**** Why The Rational Thinking PAP Is Always Not Enough For Singapore ****
<http://pijitailai.blogspot.sg/2012/06/why-rational-thinking-pap-is-always-not.html>
否极泰来 Piji Tailai

**** More Coffee Shops, Please ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_814049.html>
Gurmit Singh Kullar, Straits Times

**** 国民服役的待遇和福利检讨 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/jl120623_002.shtml>
陈小川, 联合早报

> 今年国防部调高了津贴,但是以实际情况相比较,相信所有服役人员还是觉得国防部可以做得更多更好,国民服役虽然是公民的义务,但在现今政府财政能力之下,服役人员和他们的家庭也需要得到适度的待遇。几百元的津贴,两年内也没有公积金,公积金会员的服役人员却得继续缴付健保双全(Medishield)、家属保障计划(Dependant Protection Scheme)等的年费,这似乎有些脱节。

Maybe NTUC ought to have some so-called progressive wage targets for our youngsters too.

**** Inequality Lessons From Singapore ****
<http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/06/22/lessons-in-inequality-from-singapore/>
Ben Chu, The Independent

> So Singapore is a prosperous place with an education system that serves its brightest students very well. It is also a socially immobile and unequal state.

> That’s not gove’s vision for the UK, is it?

**** Different Strokes Of Justice ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/6/23/columnists/insightdownsouth/11533036&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> The recent spate of court sentences has got Singaporeans wondering whether judicial decisions favour the elite.

**** Singapore Beating Switzerland At Its Own Game - Taxes ****
<http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/06/23/12/singapore-beating-switzerland-its-own-game-taxes>
Reuters

> What really matters for global traders is the rate they can negotiate, however.

> Industry sources say it is now tough for new firms to negotiate tax rates in Switzerland below the official 10-12 percent rate usually granted to "holding companies", whereas traders in Singapore can get a 5-10 percent rate via the Global Trader Programme.

Also:

**** UK Labor Party Chief Admits Error In Immigration Policy ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/06/uk-labor-party-chief-admits-error-on.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> We have to be cautious not to shift the focus from the real problems and issues to the behavior of Singaporeans some of whom have acted out of sheer frustration and natural human anger - doing so will undermine the discussion that will lead to a better understanding of how the policy needs to be reshaped to broadly benefit Singaporeans,

We can, and must, tackle both problems: the immigration issue, and the xenophobia. It is not okay to hide either one of the problem.